AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MK 1 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/)
-   -   2008 Q7 Front Brake Replacement Cost (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/2008-q7-front-brake-replacement-cost-2972308/)

Willgatlin25 05-13-2019 11:07 PM

2008 Q7 Front Brake Replacement Cost

Hey guys, one more thread. Just ordered new front brake pads and rotors for the front end. I ordered Brembo brakes, nice upgrade from the factory Bosch. Total cost to me with shipping came out to $252. What do you guys think? Good deal? I was seeing quotes of $1500 to $2000 to replace the brakes so just for rotors and pads this doesn’t seem too bad. I considered replacing the calipers but the front calipers look like they have been replaced before and appear in good condition. Unless I have an issue I plan on not replacing the front calipers until the brakes need replacing again.
Only issue I’m not sure about is if my Q7 has the pad wear sensors or not. I haven’t taken the wheel off to look. Either way I ordered these pads that include both pad sensor wiring harnesses so if in fact I do have pad sensors I’ll be good to go. If I don’t have sensors then I just won’t use the sensor harness.... No difference on the pads at all except for a tiny notch at the back of the pad for the sensor placement.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...649ed6508.jpeg

chingwodapigu 05-14-2019 08:51 AM

OEM brake components on the Q7 are made by Brembo, not Bosch. OEM front pads from a dealership run around $160, and each front rotor runs around $140, and you'll need 2 sensors (one for each side) which go for $25 each. OEM pads make lots of dust, but have good performance. I went with Porterfield R4S because I like less dust. Not sure about the Brembo parts you got, but I know lots of folks like the Zimmerman rotors.

Calipers shouldn't need replacing unless like you said, they're having issues.

Lots of Youtube DIY videos if you're handy. I'm fortunate to have a handy friend.

Good Luck!

Willgatlin25 05-14-2019 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu (Post 25316631)
OEM brake components on the Q7 are made by Brembo, not Bosch. OEM front pads from a dealership run around $160, and each front rotor runs around $140, and you'll need 2 sensors (one for each side) which go for $25 each. OEM pads make lots of dust, but have good performance. I went with Porterfield R4S because I like less dust. Not sure about the Brembo parts you got, but I know lots of folks like the Zimmerman rotors.

Calipers shouldn't need replacing unless like you said, they're having issues.

Lots of Youtube DIY videos if you're handy. I'm fortunate to have a handy friend.

Good Luck!

Made by Brembo not Bosch you say? Interesting! When I was looking up brake parts for my Q7 it showed a Bosch semi metallic pad as being stock.

My choice to purchase Brembo was apparently a good one then :). The pads I purchased are true Brembo pads and include both sensor wire harnesses. Part # P85065N- Cost on RockAuto.Com is $50.79 + tax for all 4 pads and includes harness sensors.
The rotors I purchased are also true Brembo rotors. Part # 09A06311 For Front Right, Part # 09C88211 For Front Left. Each rotor came out to $76.79 + tax for each rotor.

Shipping cost came out to $27.98 for everything via FedEx. Tax came out to $20.21.

Total cost to me $252.56.

Install process looks to be easier than most vehicles. 1 slide bolt to pop the pads out. 2 bolts to remove the caliper. 1 torqx screw to pop the rotor off. Snap in and replace the wear sensors, reconnect the new harness and reassemble in the reverse order.

I may go a step further and give my current calipers a nice deep cleaning. I’m considering some nice high gloss red caliper paint as well.

ticklechicken 05-14-2019 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Willgatlin25 (Post 25316645)
Install process looks to be easier than most vehicles. 1 slide bolt to pop the pads out. 2 bolts to remove the caliper. 1 torqx screw to pop the rotor off. Snap in and replace the wear sensors, reconnect the new harness and reassemble in the reverse order.

I can't remember which car needed a triple square bit, but I think it was my Q7. Might want to look into it. This is the set I bought.

Willgatlin25 05-14-2019 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ticklechicken (Post 25316685)
I can't remember which car needed a triple square bit, but I think it was my Q7. Might want to look into it. This is the set I bought.

What about this one:

Triple Square Spline Bit Socket Set XZN,Tamper Proof,1/2" 3/8" 1/4" Drive,M4 - M18,S2 Steel,10 Pieces

ticklechicken 05-14-2019 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Willgatlin25 (Post 25316687)
What about this one:

Triple Square Spline Bit Socket Set XZN,Tamper Proof,1/2" 3/8" 1/4" Drive,M4 - M18,S2 Steel,10 Pieces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GTSGGXJ..._MVW2Cb4M3JD93

That should work. I don't remember the size needed, but both sets are M4-M18, so you should be covered.

Willgatlin25 05-14-2019 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by ticklechicken (Post 25316692)
That should work. I don't remember the size needed, but both sets are M4-M18, so you should be covered.

Ordered that kit today, should be here by Friday. I think removing the rotor does require an M13 and I don’t feel like trying to use the wrong tool and stripping out the bolt.

airwhen 05-15-2019 09:40 PM

I just did all of my brakes. I went with the Zimmerman rotors and Pagid pads. Total cost to my door was $495. Install was easy in about 2 hours for all.

The M16 triple square bolts are on the rear calipers. They were 18mm standards on my fronts.

Willgatlin25 05-15-2019 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by airwhen (Post 25317534)
I just did all of my brakes. I went with the Zimmerman rotors and Pagid pads. Total cost to my door was $495. Install was easy in about 2 hours for all.

The M16 triple square bolts are on the rear calipers. They were 18mm standards on my fronts.

Never heard of the Pagid brand. Heard a lot about Zimmerman rotors but I got a great deal on brembo rotors and pads for the front end.
The rears will need to be done soon but I have a little longer. Right now I’m 3mm on the front pads and 5mm on the rear... Fronts are toast. I have no idea why I’m not getting a dash warning for the brake pad being low because it’s visually toast. Also my drivers side rotor has a huge gouge in it and I have no idea what’s going on there. Almost looks like a chunk of something like a rock got caught between the pad and the rotor and just dug right into it. Due to that I’m scrapping the rotors completely and just installing new ones. I’ve turned rotors many times but the current ones look nasty and I doubt that can be turned out... not even going to try. When I do the brakes I’ll take pictures as I go and report back on this thread so you all can take a look.
I really do want to take the calipers off, super clean them, and give them a sexy coat of high gloss Brembo red. Powder coating would be the best way to go but the caliper would have to be gutted and rebuilt and I see no need to replace or reman the caliper at this point. I’ll know for sure when I pull it but nothing feels wrong in the braking system indicative of a failing caliper. As for now I think I’ll just clean them with a heavy dose of brake clean and a wire brush, spray them with some caliper paint and reinstall.

Thanks for the heads up on the M16 for the rear. The bit set I ordered goes up to M18 so I should be good there. It looks like there is one single M13 screw that has to come out to remove the front rotors, calipers appear to be held on by just 2 standard bolts. Looks like the M13 is more of a set screw.

Willgatlin25 05-21-2019 01:58 AM

Well, I have a little setback here. I ended up ordering two different brake rotors by following the product descriptions on rockauto.com. My mistake for not doing adequate research! Turns out that the correct Brembo rotor part number for the front end of my 08 Q7 is 09.C882.11. So I have to send one back and order the right rotor... Oops.
Hopefully in another week or two I’ll get the second rotor and I can finally start my brake job. Below is a photo of the correct part numbers from Brembo’s website.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.aud...16c31991e.jpeg