Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2008 Q7 Rear Brake Replacement

Old 06-02-2019, 09:29 PM
08' Audi Q7 4.2 FSI Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2008 Q7 Rear Brake Replacement

I have the front brakes done on my Q7 and now I’m about to order parts for the rear.
I went back to rockauto.com and they don’t carry the Brembo pads for the rear but they do carry the rotors. I was looking and found a rear end kit, Powerstop brand, that includes the pads, slotted rotors, and sensors. Seems like a good deal for $239 bucks. Wondering if anyone has an opinion on this kit before I order it? I went with stock Brembo pads and rotors on the front end that are NOT slotted, just stock. Should I go to slotted in the rear? Powerstop also has a cheaper kit for the rear end brakes that’s about $185, but the rotors are not slotted.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed the power stop slotted rotors and pads on front of 2015 q7, so far so good about 5000 miles on them. I have yet to do the rear rotors and pads but will use the power stops again.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:13 AM

I just got the parts today for the rear brakes. I decided to get the EuroStop kit that included rust prevention coated rotors and a ceramic carbon fiber blend pad. I opted not to do slotted rotors on the rear since I didn’t do slotted on the front, it would look strange.
Maybe on the next round I will upgrade to slotted rotors if I see the need.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I stuck with stock parts. I did not want to end up with some odd noises or odd behavior. The brake job is pretty easy on this vehicle. I did not replacehe rear rotors but heard that you have to do some electric resetting or something to back out the parking brake pads from the inner hub. What did you find???

Mike
Old 06-19-2019, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Aronis
I stuck with stock parts. I did not want to end up with some odd noises or odd behavior. The brake job is pretty easy on this vehicle. I did not replacehe rear rotors but heard that you have to do some electric resetting or something to back out the parking brake pads from the inner hub. What did you find???

Mike
Didn’t have to do anything as far as computer settings for the parking brake. Luckily mike does not have the electronic push button parking brake option. If you do have the electric e brake you have to use VCDS to release the e brake piston. In my situation I did replace the rear rotors because they were in poor condition. When I removed the rotors I found the e brake shoes in bad shape too. It looked like someone may have driven with the e brake on at some point. The shoes were badly burned, cracking, and one of them completely delaminated from the bracket and fell apart in pieces. Only pain part is trying to get the e brake drum spring back into position. It’s a really tight spring and there’s no easy way to do it other than brunt stretching force. You’ll see what I mean when you get behind the rotor.
You will want to make sure you use some anti seize where the ebrake shoes rest against the rear dust shield. You’ll see about 5 little raised points on the dust shield where the e brake shoes rest, just put a little anti seize on those points. This will prevent squeaking or popping when you set and release the e brake.
Only thing you’ll have to do after you replace the e brake shoes is manually adjust the e brake adjuster gear. Once the rotor is back on there is another hole that goes through the rotor and sits directly over the adjuster gear. Youll need to adjust this gear so that the e brake shoes actually make contact with the inside of the rotor when the brake is set.

As as far as squeaking or braking issues I’ve had zero problems. I replaced my front brakes with Brembo ceramic pads and Brembo oem rotors. Oh the rear I used powerstop rust prevention coated rotors with a ceramic carbon fiber blend pad and it’s been flawless. Really low brake dust, no squeaking, pulsing, or issues otherwise. Also did a full brake flush with brand new DOT4 Pentosin fluid. Brakes work like a dream.
The following users liked this post:
nkq7 (06-22-2019)