Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2008 Q7 total shut down while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Q7 total shut down while driving

Hi everybody!
My 2008 Q7 totally shut down on me while driving today, the dash,lights and speedo went out completely. About 15 minutes before that the battery light came on and when I checked the battery level it was on about 10%, so I tried to get home, but failed.
The interior lights still work and the central locking, it just makes a ticking sound when you try to turn it over, so I'm hoping that the battery is dead, but would like to know for sure.

Can anyone go through what this might be?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-01-2018, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey mate, most definitely sounds like either a battery cable has come loose or off the battery or the battery had just simply failed. Check under the drivers seat for the relay fuses and any other loose cables and or earth cables located in the sane area bud.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just had the battery tested and apparently its good, 12.69v and 722 CCA on the testing machine. Any other thoughts on why the car shut down?
Old 01-02-2018, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you explain how the car shuts down? I mean what you hear from engine or what it does before the car shuts down?
Sounds like fuel injectors issue,
Old 01-02-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The car was running fine, yesterday afternoon the battery light just came on. We headed home and the battery light stayed on, the car wasn't cutting out. About 10mins into the return journey the dash backlights went out, the headlights went off and the speedo stopped working, then the EPC light came on and the car started cutting out and within 2 minutes the car stopped and I had to coast to a stop.

The interior lights still worked. I called tow truck and he turned the car over when trying to get it on his truck, it nearly started.

When he dropped off the car, he turned it over again and it started in my driveway. But the dash backlights, headlights and electric windows didn't work. I have put the bayberry back in and it's now taking a charge and the car starts and runs okay, the battery light comes on after about 60 seconds and the EPC light is now on.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sicinus
I called tow truck and he turned the car over when trying to get it on his truck, it nearly started.
Sounds a fuel pump,pressure or something,did you connect the car with a VCDS software do read the codes?What miles you got now? Is it 3.0 TDI?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

EPC light comes on in cold weather and the car does not start. It could be the O2 sensors or the alternator. Scan for codes to know more. Trust me Audi is not a car for DIY.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Same thing happened on my 2008 3.6 Premium a few months ago. Had it towed to dealer.

Originally Posted by Sicinus
Hi everybody!
My 2008 Q7 totally shut down on me while driving today, the dash,lights and speedo went out completely. About 15 minutes before that the battery light came on and when I checked the battery level it was on about 10%, so I tried to get home, but failed.
The interior lights still work and the central locking, it just makes a ticking sound when you try to turn it over, so I'm hoping that the battery is dead, but would like to know for sure.

Can anyone go through what this might be?

Thanks in advance
In my case the ECM needed to be replaced. $1400 or so.