Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2008 vs 2011 comparo

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2008 vs 2011 comparo

In the shadow of Aggie88's comparo, I thought I would do one too, but with the now replaced 2008 3.6 S-line by a 2011 S-line (interior and exterior).

Specs are almost the same, except the motor and the Warm Weather package.

Interior:
-My favorite is the quietness of the interior even at high-speed. I cannot believe how much quieter it is, makes me think something was wrong with the 2008, so much less rolling noise (tires are different, but they could never make THIS much difference). I am very happy about this, it was my major complaint about the 2008.

-The S-line interior is far more textural and the ventilated seats are a dream... I have them on all the time. However, crumbs get in there far too easily and I can't imaging what I would do if someone spilled a coffee on the seats.... makes we want to cover them. The Black liner is far better than I imagined. I thought it would be a little too dark inside, but I love it.

-Love the Paddle shifters, living in San Francisco, its nice to have a quick easy way to down-shift on hills to take a little off the brake pads. Its nice, you can down shift with the paddle even with it in D. Very convenient.

-Love the Steering wheel as well, love the texture and T-design over the 2008 one. The darker windows are nice, especially on the sunroof... my daughter would get blinded a bit even with the shade up on the 2008.

-The rear-temp controls are nerve wracking when the kids are climbing around in middle row... I think its just a matter of time till it gets kicked too hard.

-The new NAV is sweeeeet. The traffic info is really nice and the wife loves the turn-by-turn.

-HD Radio is cooler than I thought, the sound is hardly noticeable, but the extra radio station features are nice.

-The Bose System does not sound as good as the 2008. My Audiophile friends tell me that speakers and sub need break-in time. Not sure what I think. It needs some upgrades.

-iPhone initialization is much slower. It was instant on the 2008, it take a good 5-10 sec before the phone works now.

-The rear section has lost a compartment on the left. It was the perfect cubby hole for those extra things you use a lot and kept them from rolling around. It's mysteriously gone.

Driving:
-It's hard to tell at some levels as the new car is obviously much tighter than the 08 was when I turned it in. But a few things stand out.

- The steering is lighter and easier to turn for parking, but has less feedback hitting turns hard, but I have to tell myself that its an SUV and not an S4.

- Handling seems much more dynamic and refined, but again this could be that it doesn't have 25k miles on it like the 08 did.

- I test drove the X5 and it was really nice when comparing to the 2008 Q, but the 2011 handles so much like it but with more finesse and sophistication and A LOT more kick.

- Engine is not even close to comparable as they are two totally different beasts. Also, with only 300 miles on it now, I am still taking it easy on the engine. I do notice a little bit of initial "turbo" lag that was not existent on the 3.6, the throttle response was amazing on the 3.6 and I think the 3.0T will be fine after I break it in and can hit the peddle a little harder. I much prefer natural aspiration, but I think this motor is going to be mind-blowingly good once broken in.

Exterior
- Everyone can compare this online, but honestly, I like the lighting on the 2008 better, it's more conventional, but I like that over trendy. I am not a fan of the Q7 LED layout in the headlights and I like the 2008 tail lights better (it looked like the LeMans R10 tail.. ahhhh). I love the A4 and A6 LED layout in comparison.
- Engine Compartment is SO SWEET looking. (I'll be posting pics soon, once it stop raining.)
Old 10-30-2010, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A good read, leaves me waiting and watching for your next episode.
Those Eagle F1s you had on the 08 are by far the noisiest tires on a Q7. They are ok when new but the volume slowly builds as the miles go on. You dont even notice as they take over to become the overriding sound of a moving Q7. Jets pass quietly in the sky. In their defence they hold a true path, steady in a cross wind very assured at high speed, I had mine to 130mph a few of times without concerns.
Now that I am on Toyo Proxes I can hear a tiny cable rattle behind the dash and my bose quality seems better but the car wanders unless I really concentrate. That may not sound like a reasonable moan but think about our wheelbase. This car should be rock steady... even when its being abused (I meant tested)
Re the LEDs, I passed by a recent model UK regd Mugello Blue S-Line about as identical a Q as there can be to mine except the front had eyes. It just had the edge on mine. They accentuate that frowning "get out of my way" look of the front end. I think they will grow on you. In no time you will look at older Q7s with a wry smile thinking "Older Q7". They are so well planted that they make any aftermarket LED add ons look sad and cheap.
I would like to hear more about the 8 speed ZF transmission in comparo. Is it perfect? Have they ironed out the odd sleeping moment we get when the box of gears manager wakes up with no clue whats going on? I always imagine myself shouting into the Transmission, OI! thats your only flippin job get it right!

Congrats on the new ride, well wear as they say around here.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agreed with you on the rear LEDs. Love the A4, A6 LEDs, nice shape and still stands out. Before all the LED rage, I can always spot an A6 wagon, it was the only one that had LEDs a few years back.

I didn't like the LED light-tube that runs along the shape of the rear-light cluster. It doesn't look right, but I'm always on the inside. So not a big deal for me. And you're right, just passed a pre-facelifted Q7 tonight, and the rear lights do have that LeMans R look to it, also reminds me of the R8.

JusForFun, you are also right about the LEDs so nicely designed. Gives a menacing look to it. Also nice to see other car makers trying to go with the LED DRLs now, but all seem to fail at it, no where as nice as Audi's implementation, they have it right across the line.

Even BMW's getting into LEDs with the new Angel Eyes.

It might be trendy to go LEDs, but Audi does it right, and offers a very easily recognizable branding to their cars.

I can see LEDs DRLs on every car in the next 5 or 6 years.

-ThinkMac-
Old 10-31-2010, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What tires do you have on your 2011? And how much tread was left on the 2008? Tires do make some difference, but I agree, the 2011 is quieter than my old 2007. That had 18 inch Continentals with 7/32 tread when I sold it. My 2011 has the Pirelli Scorpion 20s. Its a quieter car. So much so that my wife complains her 2009 R350 is noisy in comparison.

The Bose, I have noticed the HD Radio stations have "flatter" sound, less bass, Have you compared HD stations to the regular stations?

Rear AC controls, I have 1st graders and a 3rd grader climbing back there all the time in both the 07 and 11, never any problems.

Engine, I agree the 3.6 has a lot of low end grunt, but you do have to strain it to keep up with these stop light sprinters in Houston. The 3.0TFSI, it just winds up from a standstill without trying. In fact I have to really feather the throttle to accelerate like a grandma (no offense).

There seems to be references to lag that are confusing. Audi throttle lag, vs. forced induction lag. For "normal" driving, I have to say I don't experience either one. But I am used to Audi throttle response. When I first drove my 2007, I thought there was something wrong, but it was due to the throttle intervention from transitioning between brake and throttle pedal.

Last edited by Aggie88; 10-31-2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You're both right about the LEDs, all cars will be doing it soon and Audi never did it like an add-on, it's well integrated and classy.

I'll report more on the transmission when I start pushing it a little harder. But justforfun, your question is a good one, the transmission is much smarter and wanders much, much less. Kick-down is also much quicker, having the paddle-shifters seemed like an fun addition when I ordered the Q, but it changes the game completely, it allows you to bitch-slap the transmission into submission if it reads yours intentions incorrectly... you don't need to put the gear-shift into M to activate the paddles, they work anytime you click them, up or down.

Aggie, yes, I totally agree on the HD radio, I would think there would be more available hz in the sound band, you are right, the bass is very flat and seems like it barely hits below 40hz. so the sub barely gets a chance to thump.

Also, yes, I am very used to the Audi-lag... this is more of a power-band dead-spot... but its surprisingly short in the RPM band considering the small displacement. I also drive a 77 Stingray, so I am a bit of a "no replacement for displacement" kinda guy, but that get 8 mpg... downhill.

I have the 21" dunlops which I had briefly on my 2008 and they were even louder than the 20" Goodyears... and yes, the goodyears got louder as they aged, and I even ran them 5 lbs down. But the entire driving experience, engine growl, wind-noise are all considerably quieter. I did not hear a lot of complaining about road noise on this site, so I wonder whether my 2008 had special issues or an off-place seal or something. In defense of the Eagles, they were great on hard-pack snow and even not so bad on ice, so I was willing to put-up with the noise the rest of the time.

One thing I left out: I am deeply smitten with this Q, Audi seems to have engineered out all of my quips with the '08. I get a shiver of excitement every time I pick up my key. Well done madams and sirs in Ingolstadt.

Last edited by arU4ic; 10-31-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:24 AM
TLo
Audiworld Junior Member

"Interior:
-My favorite is the quietness of the interior even at high-speed. I cannot believe how much quieter it is"

I AGREE! Does anybody know how this was done? I couldn't find any info from the Q7 press release.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TLo
"Interior:
-My favorite is the quietness of the interior even at high-speed. I cannot believe how much quieter it is"

I AGREE! Does anybody know how this was done? I couldn't find any info from the Q7 press release.
I was curious too, so i poked around a bit and found a few things:

- exhaust is totally different, so is the exhaust note and the engine noise is far less.
- engine displacement is less also with diff headers
- the seals on the door along the door sill are larger
- the driver-side door has a much better seal (maybe since it's new) than the 2008
- the suspension seems a little softer than the 08, but not 100% sure on this.

This is all anecdotal of course, I was so psyched about it i had to poke around.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Tail light USA spec

Originally Posted by ithinkmac
I agreed with you on the rear LEDs. Love the A4, A6 LEDs, nice shape and still stands out. Before all the LED rage, I can always spot an A6 wagon, it was the only one that had LEDs a few years back.

I didn't like the LED light-tube that runs along the shape of the rear-light cluster. It doesn't look right, but I'm always on the inside. So not a big deal for me. And you're right, just passed a pre-facelifted Q7 tonight, and the rear lights do have that LeMans R look to it, also reminds me of the R8.

JusForFun, you are also right about the LEDs so nicely designed. Gives a menacing look to it. Also nice to see other car makers trying to go with the LED DRLs now, but all seem to fail at it, no where as nice as Audi's implementation, they have it right across the line.

Even BMW's getting into LEDs with the new Angel Eyes.

It might be trendy to go LEDs, but Audi does it right, and offers a very easily recognizable branding to their cars.

I can see LEDs DRLs on every car in the next 5 or 6 years.

-ThinkMac-
I do not like what Audi USA did to the LED tail lights, the whole tail lights up when braking or signaling, in Europe the top light is the signal one, and the lower section is the night/stop light. But loves the tail light design.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have additions:

- The "Hill Holder" feature is FAR better in the 2011 than in the 2008. Being in San Francisco that is a pretty big deal. It releases immediately. In the 2008 there was a noticeable lag in the release, up to 3 or 4 secs.

- Something is different about the Bose System... either the system is not "broken in" (said by my Audiophile buddies) or the Acoustics or System is different. Not sure, I'll have to research it further. It seems like the amp is less powerful as the sound is more flat and the system seems less efficient (in that the system sounds worse at lower volume).

- I've punched the engine a few times and learned a GREAT trick with the paddle shifters... while in drive I pop the trans down two gears and it LAUNCHES the car like a rocket... the power is really getting addictive.

- I have become OBSESSIVE about protecting the 21" wheels... I park like 8 inches from curbs, terrified to scratch them. There is no margin for error on these things, the profile on the tires is so low, ever curb could grind the crap out of the rims.

- The rear hatch is 300% quieter on opening and closing. I didn't realize how loud the 2008 was, especially when opening, until now.

- The Warm Weather package provides a MUCH darker and livable sunroof, but the passenger windows are too dark in my opinion.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RAD2
I do not like what Audi USA did to the LED tail lights, the whole tail lights up when braking or signaling, in Europe the top light is the signal one, and the lower section is the night/stop light. But loves the tail light design.
Is that really how it works from the factory on a US Model? If so.. I guess it explains the Red blinker (vs. orange for the ROW.) Just VAG channel 46 and +4048 (SAE tail lights)... then it will work the same as in the ROW (only the red bar on top for the blinker, lower bar for tail light, and middle for brake lights. I just upgraded my 2009 with the 2010/2011 lights... REALLY wish i has just purchased the ROW lights with the orange bar. blah. Anyway.. if you want the same behavior as ROW.. just VAG and you will have it (that's the way my car is set up right now.)

Quick Reply: 2008 vs 2011 comparo