Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2010 TDI - CEL Problem

Old 11-05-2009, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2010 TDI - CEL Problem

Just thought I would report on an CEL (check engine light) issue with my 2010 TDI (900 miles). I took it in and the fault code said something like "sporadic NOx fault....". The dealer called Audi and it is apparently a "known problem" and is happening with other TDI's. They said it obviously has something to do with the emissions, but they don't what is causing it...maybe a software problem? Anyway, they reset the CEL, but said it will likely come back on until Audi figures out what is wrong.

I know there was a previous thread about the adblue level fault, but this was a different indication. Maybe related. Anyway, I'll let you know if they figure it out. Maybe others have had the same problem.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got hit with this today. Took delivery yesterday. At about 60 miles on the car, the CEL came on. I took it to the dealer today and they indicated the same thing - something to do with the emissions, not a big deal, car still driveable. They reset the fault and sent me on my way.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As an update, after the reset, I have had no further problems.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

This happened again on my TDI this past Friday. Same issue as before, CEL came on, took it to dealer but this time they kept it a bit longer. Still, they ended up just resetting the CEL and sent me on my way.

They again mentioned that it was a known issue. I'm going to call back tomorrow and get a detailed explanation of the error.

So this is twice this has happened now. First time at 60 miles, second time at 2100 miles.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm at 1300 miles, and haven't seen it yet. Please keep us informed on what you find out.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm at 16,000 miles and have received no issues at all. No CEL or any other error messages.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

So there's a TSB for this: TSB#2022479/1. Apparently the "fix" is only to reflash the ECM and check the light again.

Sure is annoying.

--------------------------------
Here's the writeout on the Warranty invoice regarding this from the second time it happened:

SPORADIC FAULT FOR P229F NOX SENSOR CIRCUIT RANGE/PERFORMANCE BANK 1 SENSOR 2. TACS#555303

REFERED TO TSB#2022479/1 FOR REPAIR.REFLASHED ECM SOFTWARE AND DROVE VEHICLE 16 MILES PER TECH. LINE. FAULT DID NOT RETURN.
--------------------------------
Old 06-08-2010, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2010 Q7 TDI CEL Light on

My CEL went on at 500 miles and then again at 2200 miles. Each time it went off immediately after a refill. I'm taking to the dealer on Monday and will post what they find.

I don't know if this is possible, but my light has gone off after filling up at one gas station and has gone on shortly after filling up at another. Service Rep said fumes accumulate and trigger CEL if you mainly do short drives around town.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Almost 18K miles on our '09 TDI - have never had this problem
Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2010 TDI CEL Update

Update on 2010 CEL w/ Q7 TDI

The dealer said the AdBlue sensor needed replacing.

However, Audi then handed me a list of Chicago area gas stations where the Ultra Low Sulfur gas was under 5ppm. From what I understand if it states Ultra Low Sulfur it only adheres to 15 ppm or less. I was instructed to STOP filling up with Gas City ULSD.

I was then instructed to fill up at Meijer Gas stations or Speedways since they stick to the 5 ppm sulfur(or less) guideline. This is sometimes referred to as premium diesel.

At any other gas station, Audi suggested I first talk to management to determine the sulfur content in their gas. From my discussions, the person who works at the station can't answer this question on their own.

The nearest Meijer is 20 minutes away and my local Speedway does not carry an auto nozzle for the diesel. I have yet to find a card swipe at any diesel pump. If it is this complicated locally...just imagine planning for a road trip.

I do LOVE my diesel car, but it's a bit more high maintenance than I anticipated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 TDI - CEL Problem