Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2013 Q7 Parking Aid Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Q7 Parking Aid Issue

Yesterday I noticed my parking sensors and camera were not working when I shifted the vehicle in to reverse or manually pushed the parking aid button on the dash. The light on the parking aid button flashes and beeps. The parking aid settings are also blacked out in the MMI. Did a quick search and didn't find anything other than running VAGCOM on the car. Figured I'd ask around before I take it to a shop to have it scanned.

Thanks
Old 06-03-2019, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just spent a couple of weeks chasing down the same(ish) issue in my 2010. When I put the car in reverse or pressed the parking assist button, the park assist button would flash orange and beep continuously for a few seconds, then the beep would stop, the MMI display would go back to whatever it was on before (nav, radio, etc) and the button would continue to flash.

Long story short, if one thing is wrong in in the park assist system, it kills the whole system. I tried researching similar issues and tried a few diy diagnostic tests, but at the end of the day, it required a VAGCOM to actually diagnose the exact link in the chain that was defective. The VAGCOM will tell you the exact part that needs to be replaced. In my case, it was the rear buzzer (not sensor, but the actual buzzer that makes the noise) that was killing the whole system. Replaced the buzzer and now everything is working again as expected. The only video I could find online that was even close to the same was on a VW, where the VAGCOM was able to tell them the front right middle sensor was defective. Originally after seeing that video I was going to start ordering sensors and replacing sensors until I fixed the issue. Instead the dealership was able to diagnose quickly and accurately. I'll be ordering a VAGCOM shortly to figure this stuff out myself in the future.

Hope this helps,
Sean
The following users liked this post:
Heather Begley (09-20-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So glad I came across this thread! The dealer told me rear parking buzzer is bad on my Q7 TDI and it will be $750 to replace!! Ya right. Can you tell me if this is the same buzzer you installed?

https://www.audiusaparts.com/oem-par...zzer-8e0919279

Thanks!!
Old 09-26-2019, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Heather

Hey Heather,

Sorry for the delay, I think I was driving home from work when I got the notification of a response and then I completely forgot until going through my email again. Attached is a picture of the part that was replaced on my Q7. From the diagram in the link you posted, it looks like the same part. $750 is bananas to have the dealer do it. It's a really easy screw/clip swap out on the part, BUT if I remember correctly, you do have to remove a trim panel or two to get to it. If you're relatively handy, it shouldn't take more than an hour. But you do want to be extra careful removing and replacing/realigning panels during reassembly to make sure everything looks good as new when its all done.

Also, as I said earlier in the thread, one broken kink in the parking system kills the whole thing, so you want to be 100 percent sure this is the part you need, otherwise you'll spend a bunch of time and money chasing sensors if this buzzer doesn't work. But since it's the dealership telling you, it's probably right? I just hesitate that at the quoted $750, they may have been planning to swap out the buzzer AND the sensors they weren't 100 percent sure. But, the dealership diagnosed mine and they were 100 percent accurate. ​​​​​​​Anyways, happy to help if you have any other questions.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Fantastic! The part just came in!! Do you have any suggestions on where to look for info on popping open the trim panel? That definitely seems like the trickiest part here. It all looks pretty seamless and there are no obvious entry points, of course
In the $160 Audi diagnostic, they said the only problem is the rear speaker, so hoping this will do the trick!

Thanks!!
Old 10-25-2021, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Heather Begley
Fantastic! The part just came in!! Do you have any suggestions on where to look for info on popping open the trim panel? That definitely seems like the trickiest part here. It all looks pretty seamless and there are no obvious entry points, of course
In the $160 Audi diagnostic, they said the only problem is the rear speaker, so hoping this will do the trick!

Thanks!!
did you ever get that diagram? Im a first time audi owner, Im trying to fix some stuff in it myself, and I identified the same buzzer as my problem, but I dont want to force the trim to open it .... please let me know, I got an audi q7 2012. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2021, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 707 Likes on 587 Posts
Default Correct Tools

Originally Posted by bmurillo
did you ever get that diagram? Im a first time audi owner, Im trying to fix some stuff in it myself, and I identified the same buzzer as my problem, but I dont want to force the trim to open it .... please let me know, I got an audi q7 2012. Thanks!
You are going to need at least an entry-level set of plastic trim removal tools, as they are designed to slip between the panel joints w/o damaging the panels, and allow you to 'pop' out the panel from its' holding clips. i'd go look for a video related to this and/or general trim panel removal so you can see how it's done. You generally need to be a bit more aggressive with the tool than you would think.
The following users liked this post:
bmurillo (10-26-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
You are going to need at least an entry-level set of plastic trim removal tools, as they are designed to slip between the panel joints w/o damaging the panels, and allow you to 'pop' out the panel from its' holding clips. i'd go look for a video related to this and/or general trim panel removal so you can see how it's done. You generally need to be a bit more aggressive with the tool than you would think.
yeah it sucks !! I have tools and I've done it before with other cars, but I found out it helps a lot to have the diagram and know where clips and screws are, otherwise I'll make it, but might try to force a screw thinking it's a clip, which can cause damage. I find it interesting that information is not as easily available as other brands 🤔 maybe I'm not looking in the right place, thus the call for help.

Thanks for your reply