Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2014 Q7 TDI EPA settlement modifications

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Q7 TDI EPA settlement modifications

I just got the booklet describing the EPA mandated modifications that are needed to "fix" the problem. It doesn't sound as though it's mandatory though, and I don't really want it. Effects of the modifications include

Changes in sound
Higher shift patttern
No more enhanced automatic engine braking on descents ( Boo - I love this feature! )
Higher Adblue consumption
Decreased fuel economy by ~1 mpg

I don't really want to do this! Do I have to? Will my car fail state emissions? Will Audi still send me the $8000 settlement check the said I was getting?

Thanks for your responses!
Med Bennett
Old 11-07-2017, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you wont get any settlement money if you do not perform this if you have not already gotten your half already.
if you dont like it, take the settlement money, tune and delete. but this will void the extra 4 year warranty
Old 11-07-2017, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

You dont have to do it, your car will forever pass state emissions tests unfixed as long as you maintain the emissions equipment out of your own pocket since you wont get the extended warranty.. You wont see another dollar of settlement money.

Changes in sound - And how is this bad? I'm looking forward to this part..
Higher shift patttern - Again, not necessarily bad and you likely wont even notice
No more enhanced automatic engine braking on descents ( Boo - I love this feature! ) - Yeah sucks but you can always put it in manual mode and engine brake your self, not like Diesels are all that great at engine braking w/out a throttle plate/vacuum anyhow.. Diesels need Jake brakes which we dont have.
Higher Adblue consumption - Free AdBlue for at least 48k miles, $8k will buy alot of DEF
Decreased fuel economy by ~1 mpg - $8k will buy alot of Diesel, they were permitted to decrease fuel economy 3x that, but they didn't.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 11-07-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Just called my local dealer to schedule the modification. The service agent said that they might have to delay the scheduling of the service as Audi had only sent them "so many parts." No biggie to me as the car's been on the road for four years already and another few weeks or months won't change much. I found it interesting though that there seem to be enough interested Denver diesel drivers to have chewed through the available parts already.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

They haven't gotten parts, I called Audi Denver early on Monday they said: Cant order parts yet, try again later.. Went in on Tuesday they said: Whats your claims number, and VIN.. I can order the parts and we'll call you for an appointment when they arrive.. I suspect late on Monday is when they first had the capability to access the parts in the catalog.

Nobody's been fixed yet to my knowledge, Audi dont just blindly send parts out to dealers.. they have to order em just like any other part not sitting on the shelf.. usually they can have em within a few days, but since these are high demand right now they would not commit to promising me any date they would arrive.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 11-08-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Naturally, they tagged an early date (Nov 6th) to start the fixes, so they can get out from under the bridge warranty.. yet, if one tries to schedule an appointment to get this fix done, it's not available.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yosie16
Naturally, they tagged an early date (Nov 6th) to start the fixes, so they can get out from under the bridge warranty.. yet, if one tries to schedule an appointment to get this fix done, it's not available.
In the court summary it shows the bridge warranty being tied to the approval date of the fix. Not the availability. I had to check it myself just now as I thought it was availability also.

Grey