Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2015 Audi Q7 3.0T Oil Drain Plug Location

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Audi Q7 3.0T Oil Drain Plug Location

Hi, I own a 2015 Audi Q7 3.0T and I would like to do the oil change myself. I have removed the cover underneath the chassis. I am having trouble trying to find the Oil drain plug in this model. Can anyone please tell me where this plug is located? I picture of it will be really helpful. I have searched through the web and I have seen the plug for older year Q7 models and they don't look alike. There is a plug looking like screw with a Hex head, but I am not sure if that is the right one. Also, if you could tell me where the oil filter is located it would be awesome. Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Hi, Let's be careful now. The drain plug is on the oil pan and uses and Allen wrench ( hex key to remove). The oil filter housing is topside of the engine, driver side, towards the rear and uses a 36 mm socket to open it. In all fairness though you should let someone more familiar with the engine help you the first time. I hope I don't offend you but one error like a misplaced o ring could have disasterous results.
The following users liked this post:
DestroVR6 (01-06-2020)
Old 10-09-2017, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Hi, Let's be careful now. The drain plug is on the oil pan and uses and Allen wrench ( hex key to remove). The oil filter housing is topside of the engine, driver side, towards the rear and uses a 36 mm socket to open it. In all fairness though you should let someone more familiar with the engine help you the first time. I hope I don't offend you but one error like a misplaced o ring could have disasterous results.
^~~~ This...is excellent advice. These are expensive vehicles and have expensive service procedures if you do them incorrectly. Like over tightening the oil drain plug or the o-rings J. Patterson mentioned.

Grey
The following users liked this post:
DestroVR6 (01-06-2020)
Old 10-09-2017, 07:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

<br /><br />Thank you for the reply. I have attached a picture of the bottom of a pan. There is a Hex screw circled in red on the left side of the picture. Is this the drain plug? Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I am usually very careful with my belongings and I think I will be sucessful in this case as well, as long as I am shown the location of the drain plug. I have the tools including torque wrenches. I appreciate your concern.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Audi Q7 3.0T Oil Drain Plug Location-20171009_224121.jpg  
Old 10-10-2017, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by juone23
Thank you for the reply. I have attached a picture of the bottom of a pan. There is a Hex screw circled in red on the left side of the picture. Is this the drain plug? Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I am usually very careful with my belongings and I think I will be sucessful in this case as well, as long as I am shown the location of the drain plug. I have the tools including torque wrenches. I appreciate your concern.
Yes, that is the oil drain plug. Use a 6 mm Allen wrench or hex drive for it. After draining it should be put back with a new crush washer in order to ensure that it seals without over tightening.
That oil filter housing is plastic. Use of the proper 36 mm 6 point socket to unscrew it is important. Using a large adjustable wrench or channel lock pliers is not advisable. The housings have been known to crack. If you loosen the filter housing a bit and wait, it will drain and reduce mess. Regardless, have a roll of paper towels handy. Be careful to seat the new filter element properly in the housing before screwing on the top. Be careful to put the new o ring on the housing exactly as the old one comes off.

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2017, 09:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, that is the oil drain plug. Use a 6 mm Allen wrench or hex drive for it. After draining it should be put back with a new crush washer in order to ensure that it seals without over tightening.
That oil filter housing is plastic. Use of the proper 36 mm 6 point socket to unscrew it is important. Using a large adjustable wrench or channel lock pliers is not advisable. The housings have been known to crack. If you loosen the filter housing a bit and wait, it will drain and reduce mess. Regardless, have a roll of paper towels handy. Be careful to seat the new filter element properly in the housing before screwing on the top. Be careful to put the new o ring on the housing exactly as the old one comes off.

Good luck!
Mr. Patterson, thanks a lot for your help. It is always easier when you have a visual description of the item you want to ID. I will perform this oil change this week. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good luck!
Mr. Patterson, I have drained the oil and I am ready open the filter housing. I just wanted double check with you that I am pointing to the right filter housing in red and oil crank case cap in yellow. Does the oil filter housing open clockwise rotation? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Audi Q7 3.0T Oil Drain Plug Location-20171011_202813.jpg  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mr. Patterson, I have drained the oil. I am ready to change the oil filter. I just need to double check with you whether I am looking at the correct oil filter housing in red and crankcase cap in yellow in the picture attached. Does the oil filter housing open clockwise? Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails 2015 Audi Q7 3.0T Oil Drain Plug Location-20171011_202813.jpg  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by juone23
Mr. Patterson, I have drained the oil. I am ready to change the oil filter. I just need to double check with you whether I am looking at the correct oil filter housing in red and crankcase cap in yellow in the picture attached. Does the oil filter housing open clockwise? Thank you.
Your locations are correct but you loosen the oil filter housing counter-clockwise. The arrow shown is for tightening.

- Pop the hood, remove the engine oil filter housing cap from the engine bay using a 36mm socket.
- Remove the old filter and discard.
- Replace the rubber oil o-rings with the new o-rings contained in a new filter kit.
- Install new filter into the oil filter housing cap.
- Screw the housing on to the engine using a 36mm wrench or socket, and torque to 18ft lbs (25Nm).
- Add Audi approved 502 / 505 engine oil.

Grey
Old 10-12-2017, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Found this. It is for an S4 but same engine. Should be helpful.

Quick Reply: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0T Oil Drain Plug Location