Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2015 Q7 TDI Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

I try not to let our '13 idle too much, because the DPF doesn't like that too much, the exhaust is far too cold. But, that said, our '13 has the factory aux heater and we get warm cabin air extremely fast and the coolant temp gets up to operating range much faster than my 3.6 or my old 4.2 ever could. It did not have issues starting in the sub-zero weather we had this winter. Ironically I have a pan heater on my CQ that has a 4.2 shoehorned into it. The pan heater works great, BTW. It's just a magnetic type because no one makes one for an old Audi V8.

I've also been privy to the installation to 20+ Espar heaters and have another 20+ to go yet (Eberspacher as dread mentioned). I've also been privy to the installation of Webasto heaters, and can say those are less troublesome and provide the same function. The Espar timer/controller looses all of its settings when battery voltage drops below around 10vdc. They have no battery backup, which is stupid.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

LOL, Favorite quote "if you want to take a dump in the engine then go for it"
I thought about a remote start on my TDI but probably won't do it. Don't some of the TDI's have aux heaters to help? I do have a remote start on my truck with a cummins diesel and I idle it too much sometimes, but I can drive that 10 miles and still have no heat and it only has 374k miles
Old 03-12-2019, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

in Europe in the Northern Regions you could get the Aux Heater and remote for it as a factory option, it was not offered in US.. its basically an Espar/Webasto type diesel fueled water heater plumbed into coolant system, here in NA it'd be cheaper to retrofit one of those in than it'd be to convert to full OEM.. but you could source OEM parts like fuel/coolant lines from European sources and mebe even get it working w/OEM remote if you got the controller and figured out how to make your own harness to it.. I saw a diagram for it once, IIRC it was stuffed in the passenger fender area.

Its one of those +$2k options that cost $4k+ after the fact

*edit* here's a jist on what the retrofit looks like on another vehicle: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=483349

Last edited by dreadlocks; 03-12-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
in Europe in the Northern Regions you could get the Aux Heater and remote for it as a factory option, it was not offered in US.. its basically an Espar/Webasto type diesel fueled water heater plumbed into coolant system, here in NA it'd be cheaper to retrofit one of those in than it'd be to convert to full OEM.. but you could source OEM parts like fuel/coolant lines from European sources and mebe even get it working w/OEM remote if you got the controller and figured out how to make your own harness to it.. I saw a diagram for it once, IIRC it was stuffed in the passenger fender area.

Its one of those +$2k options that cost $4k+ after the fact

*edit* here's a jist on what the retrofit looks like on another vehicle: Diesel auxiliary heater retrofit - TDIClub Forums
I dunno, aux heater options show up in the menu of our '13 and it gets heat REALLY fast. Maybe someone retro'd it at some point previous. I can't see the engine being able to get the coolant up to temp and hot air coming out of the vents in a matter of a few miles of city driving without some form of heater. There were days this winter that my 3.6 never got up to temp after ~10 miles and 10min of idle time, but the TDI was warm after just a couple miles.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

I have the aux heater on my 2015 A6 TDi. It was a factory order car.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

From searching I think there is 2 different types of auxiliary heaters. My 2014 Q7 has listed that it is equipped with a “Electric auxiliary air heater”. There is a option in the mmi too for supplemental heat of off or auto.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

I think the MMI option for aux heater is displayed regardless if you got the diesel aux heater or not.. electric heater I dunno, but it couldn't possibly run when the engine was not or it'd drain the battery stupid quick.. my understanding that aux heater option w/out an aux heater would just run the blower for a lil bit after engine shut down to extract what heats left from coolant system.

My mmi has same aux heater options and i most definitely do not have any form of aux heater at all
Old 03-13-2019, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Now I’m curious. Here’s a list by vin showing the electric air heater.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

My BMW 335d, has ceramic heaters built into the vent system for cold days (I get heat in about a minute).

A quick search turns up this, which is probably what our system has.
Supplementary heater & how it works? - TDIClub Forums

"I understand the new cooling system but I found this today from another site, possibly dealing with European cars.

"A 1kW electrical auxiliary air heater is installed in diesel vehicles. The electrical auxiliary air heater is a combination of a PTC heater element with an integrated control unit. It is installed downstream of the heat exchanger and provides additional heating of the vehicle interior after cold-starting the engine. The electrical auxiliary air heater directly heats the air which enters the vehicle interior.

Activation conditions: The electrical auxiliary air heater is activated:
• in the case of the Climatronic and Climatic systems, automatically via the CAN data bus.
• if the occupants set the heating output to over 90 per cent at the operating unit.
• if the water temperature is below 75 degrees Celsius.
• if the engine speed is higher than 500rpm.
• if no load management system is active.
• if the ‘Econ’ button is not pressed.”

Farther down another post:
https://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113468

Aux Electric heater from VW

Last edited by Built4Sin; 03-13-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Alright bored and looking at parts. Really hard to find this info, not sure why?

https://audi.7zap.com/en/usa/audi+q7.../8/820-820020/
7L6 963 235 heater element for electr. auxiliary air heater D >> - 28.05.2012
4L0 963 235 heater element for electr. auxiliary air heater D - 28.05.2012>>

The audi parts site says it fits with my VIN:
ELEMENT. This Fits Your Audi
Part Number: 4L0963235
OEM

7L6-963-235 (I believe this is the older part, either way this is what it looks like from a Q7)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Q7-4L...MAAOSwPCVYBfhI

Quick Reply: 2015 Q7 TDI Remote Start?