Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2015 Q7 VCDS Gear Indicator Success

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 12:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Q7 VCDS Gear Indicator Success

I have the gear indicator working for my 2015: D1, D2, ... S1, S2, Etc.

I'm running the full VCDS from a Windows Laptop via USB to a Ross-Tech Hex-Net. [02 Auto Trans] -> [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 1 -> Bit 1 change 1 to 0. In the helper its listed as "Suppress Gear Display", so your clearing or turning off the suppression of the gear display.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

plan to try today and will follow up
Old 04-23-2017, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you so much, I wanted to do this on my 11 ever since I traded my 07 that displayed the gears from factory.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default audi tt 8j mk2 1st gear issue

Hello in 2017

My tt gearbox has started behaving odd.
It was fine until few weeks ago i’ve noticed that on the traffic light when i have to move the car forvard it wont go easy into 1st gear. Even im pretty young i know the trick and tried from 2nd to 1st gear and then i have noticed that the 2nd gear is a bit harder too but the 1st was ok then. So the next thing i did on the next red traffic light was ,after stopping and hitting neutral, to switch into any of the 6 gears. Ive noticed that each one of them is harder but only after one clutch press and engaging only one gear and on keeping clutch engaged the others were fine. Just after releasing clutch again and going from neutral to any gear again the problem continues. So now im confused is it a clutch issue or synchro because all gears are harder on the first clutch press individualy (or is it somehing else).
Any advice?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by davidbod
I have the gear indicator working for my 2015: D1, D2, ... S1, S2, Etc.

I'm running the full VCDS from a Windows Laptop via USB to a Ross-Tech Hex-Net. [02 Auto Trans] -> [Coding - 07] -> [Long Coding Helper] -> Byte 1 -> Bit 1 change 1 to 0. In the helper its listed as "Suppress Gear Display", so your clearing or turning off the suppression of the gear display.
This does not work in my Q, is there another route to enable this function?
Old 03-18-2018, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What year, etc is your Q7?

Originally Posted by jbgilbank
Old 03-18-2018, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jbgilbank
What was your coding before and after? For example my 2014 S-Line was 001378 and becomes 001178 after the change to byte 1 (remember byte 1 is technically the second byte since they start at 0). Did the helper properly tell you the bit to change? I know some "pirated" copies of vcds do not show this properly and will not work.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by foglem
What was your coding before and after? For example my 2014 S-Line was 001378 and becomes 001178 after the change to byte 1 (remember byte 1 is technically the second byte since they start at 0). Did the helper properly tell you the bit to change? I know some "pirated" copies of vcds do not show this properly and will not work.
I have a 2015 S line 3.0 TFSI.
I purchased the Ross-Tech directly from them, $200 and I have done several mods, no big deal really, pretty easy for me.
These are the mods I have made, interested in or cannot figure out.
Here is VCDS interaction. Why would mine be set to Toureg? There are 3 different Q7 options in drop down as well 6 Toureg and as many Cayanne.
I just backed out with no changes made.
Also, I accidentally touched 03-ABS Brakes, I DON"T RECOMMEND IT! Lights started flashing all over my dash and dings and buzzes and threw **** tons of codes, which I went in and cleared and everything seems fine. WTH? Why would that happen from trying to enter a module?
- Current Gear Supression Disabled
02 Auto Trans - Coding 7 = 001378 Long Coding Helper POPUP = (both verified and experimental coding information are available for this module. Do you want to use experimental coding information?) Yes POPUP = (VCDS is about to send experimental coding information to Lcode. This information is unverified, untested and you will be using it AT YOUR OWN RISK. Do you want to proceed? Press yes for experimental information or no for confirmed coding information.)
Yes = Byte 0-2 (1378 Country Coding, Toureg - NAR)

- Immobilizer ?
- Disc Brake Wipe
- Hill Hold Control
- Gauge Needle Sweep Enabled
- Lap Timer Enabled

- Boost Gauge Enabled
- Oil Temperature Enabled
- Long Press Window Functionaliy Enabled
- Emergency Brake Indicator Enabled – Already Enabled
- Brake Amplification Enabled – Already Enabled
- Comfort Opening Front & Rear Sunroof Enabled
- Highway Light Function (90mph+)
- Adaptive Light Activation 20% Earlier
- SAE Rear Lights Enabled (Rear Marker Disabled) Just done today
- Video In Motion Enabled
- DVD/CD Ripping
- Hill Hold Assist Early Engagement
Old 03-19-2018, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When you do a DTC check it will ask you if you want the VCDS to automatically pick up the cars harness code to verify the cars make/ model or you can manually select the cars model option as you quoted with various q7 models, VW etc. it should only detect q7 4L and relevant years etc.
as for the ABS module it will automatically chime and bring on the ABS waring display. This is normal is and not indicating a fault. It just means you have entered into the ABS module. Relevant codes within the module would be like “brake booster pump failure” etc

if you were to use an OBD II scanner it will prompt you to ask if you wont to include ABS code with the other engine codes as it is a common but seperate DTC logger.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Up-it
When you do a DTC check it will ask you if you want the VCDS to automatically pick up the cars harness code to verify the cars make/ model or you can manually select the cars model option as you quoted with various q7 models, VW etc. it should only detect q7 4L and relevant years etc.
as for the ABS module it will automatically chime and bring on the ABS waring display. This is normal is and not indicating a fault. It just means you have entered into the ABS module. Relevant codes within the module would be like “brake booster pump failure” etc

if you were to use an OBD II scanner it will prompt you to ask if you wont to include ABS code with the other engine codes as it is a common but seperate DTC logger.
WOOO! Thank God on the ABS! I don't fool with things that I have not researched generously for fear of destroying something.

When you say DTC, what is that?
I followed all instructions thoroughly when I first used it (program options/test and save) and a couple of times after due to updates to the software.
I have run an auto-scan a couple of times, reset some fault codes, that I accidentally tripped. No biggies, but that ABS things scared the crap out of me.
There are still a few mods on my list, having a tough time finding all the information on them and this one, Gear indicator, not sure of change.
Wonder if it would hurt anything to change that setting to Audi Q7 NAR? Which it should be anyway, right?

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: 2015 Q7 VCDS Gear Indicator Success