Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Weak Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak Air Conditioning

Is the AC in the Q7 weak? I've seen a few threads that seem to indicate so...

I just bought a 2014 Prem Plus Q7 and it was 98 degrees outside and I had to manually crank the AC to LO and recirculate before it finally got somewhat cool in the car after about 20 minutes..

I checked with a thermometer and it was still 85 degrees inside the car after 20 minutes.

Is this normal?
Old 07-30-2014, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 282 Likes on 202 Posts

Yes, weak AC is a routine customer complaint, as verified by my dealer.

A few tips when you get in a hot Q.

1. Drive with windows down for a minute to blow hot air out of vehicle.

2. DO NOT use recirculate initially, as all you are doing is recirculating the hot air that's in the vehicle.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I suppose the models with the 4-zone climate is a bit better, as they have a separate evaporator for the rear seats? Anyone know?
Old 07-31-2014, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We don't have an issue in ours at all... (2015 Q7 TDI) normally leave at 68/67 degrees, 4 zone climate and t does have a separate evaporator for the rear.. kind of weird seeing two puddles of water one front and one rear when it's parked. This is recently in 95 degree temps.

I don't know, but in the older Audi/VW Gassers the fan wasn't electric and was bolted on to the crank (up until a few years ago). so when stopped, there wasn't enough air crossing the coils to cool at high fan speeds and high temps. If that's the case you could upgrade to an electric fan to help....
Old 07-31-2014, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

cabin volume is main difference... it takes a bit longer to heat up or warm up the entire car because it is much larger however if you referring to the temperature of the air coming out the vents the only way to tell is with a digital temperature gauge the techs use to diag the hvac.

i am not an hvac expert but my theory has always been not to recirculate the air until it has reached the desired temperature otherwise you're trying to cool or heat temperature that may be much greater than the outside temperature.

i've had the four zone climate control for each Q7 i've owned and have all the vents open except the third row / cargo area which seems to work well when cooling or heating the cabin and reduces the noise from the vents.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

We dont have the 4 zone system.. However, the air blowing from the vents feels much less colder than other cars I've driven.

What should the temperature blowing out of the vents at the max setting be?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by dauberman
What should the temperature blowing out of the vents at the max setting be?
you don't test hvac temps on the highest setting. lowest setting on coldest temperature but either way... it's a new car bring it in if you think there is an issue.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
i've had the four zone climate control for each Q7 i've owned and have all the vents open except the third row / cargo area which seems to work well when cooling or heating the cabin and reduces the noise from the vents.
Good thinking, I'll close the 3rd row ones and only open them up whenever the dog needs cooling back there
Old 08-01-2014, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Expert

from my experience it makes the rest of the vents slightly louder but you don't have to put it up as high to feed air through the car.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Took it to dealer who stuck what looked like meat thermometer in the front vent and set it to LO... read 45 degrees and said that was within spec...

Does this sound correct?

My Lexus blows 38 degrees with a regular thermometer near the vent

Quick Reply: Weak Air Conditioning