Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2017 Q7 drive today

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2017 Q7 drive today

Not serious about buying one now, but did test drive it. Pics below.

- Ride was taught, the adjustable suspension significantly different from Dynamic to Comfort
- Steering was wonderfully precise compared to my 2015
- FELT smaller, but was wider (see pic with my 8 year old in the back seat) for sure
- The dash and NON-virtual cockpit was beautiful - no thanks on the Virtual one too much money for not enough added benefit
- The MMI was deep, seems like I could spend hours learning it, the wide screen is amazing
- legroom in the rear is pretty much gone
- Power rear seats... the 3rd world is great
- paddle shifters, ABOUT FREAKING TIME AUDI - shifted close to the DSG in my S3, quick shifts but 8 gears is a lot of shifting

https://flic.kr/s/aHskt4VXmS

Last edited by arU4ic; 01-19-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You seem to have made every photo in your Flickr account public - I would have a quick check to see if that's what you intended!
Old 01-18-2016, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
You seem to have made every photo in your Flickr account public - I would have a quick check to see if that's what you intended!
Thanks Ed.

I checked before I posted, but maybe missed a step. Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I also had a chance to see one in Seattle this weekend and let me tell you my opinon. I'm so glad I purchased a 2015 TDI. The new Q7 doesn't look like a Q7. It looks more like a fancy Q5. Yes the car is smaller with very nice upgrades but to me it looks more like a fancy MDX. I like my car because is big and a tank. I feel very safe inside and it sits higher. Maybe one day it will grow on me but for now I love my Qs.

Good luck
Old 01-19-2016, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I saw a 2017 model at the Montréal Auto Show this past weekend, unfortunately they wouldn't let me sit in it, but just standing next to it, it felt weird, sort of to low to the ground, Audi Canada appeared to have addressed the "low wagon look" because they put on roof rack cross bars and an Audi carrier box on the display car, it made the car appear huge.. I do like the new cedar interior though, that is really nice upgrade for 2017. I think it's going to grow on me, especially once NAR gets the S-Line bumpers and accessories. I guess it's the closest thing to an a6 avant the USA is going to see! And that's a good thing! ;-) the only way I think it looks "normal" is when it is equipped with the 21" rims and tires, I feel like models with the smaller rims are what makes the car look goofy. I'm just glad Audi isn't going to crazy with their new design language, you can still tell a Q7 is a Q7, and an A4 is an A4, etc etc.., unlike Lexus, that looks like a mutant alien from Mars.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmwrt
I also had a chance to see one in Seattle this weekend and let me tell you my opinon. I'm so glad I purchased a 2015 TDI. The new Q7 doesn't look like a Q7. It looks more like a fancy Q5. Yes the car is smaller with very nice upgrades but to me it looks more like a fancy MDX. I like my car because is big and a tank. I feel very safe inside and it sits higher. Maybe one day it will grow on me but for now I love my Qs.

Good luck
That whole topic of size is where I think Audi is missing an opportunity, though it has to be by choice. CAFE standards/CO2, Eco-green public perception (pre-TDI issue), etc. must to be driving their product offerings with SUVs.

Not sure how Bentley works into the mix with the Bentayga on all of that stuff, but I really do think Audi would sell every last "Q9" they could make. Go almost Escalade/Suburban size in footprint, but keep the green house a little more lithe. Offer a 4.0T and a 4.2TDI for engines (& 6.0 W12 turbo for the S model?). You'd have a real 3rd row for those who want/need it and if people pay $75k-$95k for an Escalade, they'd pay the same or a bit more for a Q9- perhaps starting at $80k and fully optioned Prestige trim at ~$110k.

It would be interesting to hear the forum's opinions on why this model would not sell well, though not exactly in high volumes....
Old 01-19-2016, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha! Now it seems every photo is public EXCEPT the Q7 shots... :-)
Old 01-19-2016, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I test drove one over the weekend and overall I liked the looks and handling. That's where the fun ends.

Now the cons:
Audi screwed the 3rd row seating by positioning it too close to the 2nd row in an effort to increase the cargo space with 3rd row ON. And no touch screen. When will these German luxury brands understand the importance of touch screen Nav? The heavily advertised virtual cockpit is only available in the prestige model and is an expensive option in the other two. I asked the dealer about remote start and he told me its not allowed in Germany. What a stupid answer. This is America and Audi has to understand American needs. And finally the new Q7 does not have a sim slot. That's what the sales guy told me and they switched from T-mobile to AT&T. So if you want to use Audi connect and the google maps you need to purchase a monthly subscription data plan from AT&T. I asked about rsap and he told me the new Q7 does not have it.

Another shocker, no discount whatsoever on the new Q7. Its MSRP which is ridiculous. I walked out of the dealership as there was no way I am going to pay the MSRP for an AUDI screwup. I am going to give a serious thought on the XC90
Old 01-19-2016, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree, I think Volvo nailed the design of the new XC90, there was one behind me in traffic the other day, it looks like a space ship! I disagree on the touch screen, it would be so much better if Volvo had a system like Ze Germans use, touch screens are gross and become greasy from fingers. The latest MMI in the B9 A4/4M Q7 is pretty funky though, I think it would take a while to get used to it, I tried it at an auto show and I had absolutely no idea how it worked, I guess it's something you would get used to if you owned the car, just like the current MMI layout.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it does frustrate me that we don't have a remote starter sometimes... our dealer had a place they send their cars to that will install one, but they made it very clear it officially voids the warranty. Basically, they turn a blind eye to it... but man... I'd hate for them to all of a sudden point at it if we had a $$$ issue.

Coming from a decent touchscreen unit prior to the Q7, I don't think it's all that big of a deal. I find the voice recognition to work perfect about 90% of the time and actually prefer that if anything else. I sure don't miss the fingerprints and stuff on the screen.

Quick Reply: 2017 Q7 drive today