Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

The 4L Q7 had a good run. It's weird seeing new ones on the road

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default The 4L Q7 had a good run. It's weird seeing new ones on the road

Well, I saw my first 2017 4M Q7 today in traffic. It was a weird feeling, the 2007-2015 4L Q7 has been my dream car since 2006, (10 years ago, Wow, time really does fly) I remember seeing them on the road for the first time. The first time I saw the 4L Q7, it was fall 2006, and I was drooling all over the 2007 model that parked next to me at the grocery store. Lol. Can't say I had the same reaction for this new 2017 model... I'm not going to say I don't like it, but it definitely needs to grow on me... Audi needs to bring the S-Line to the states, I think that would help, the S-Line looks so much better in person. Canada gets the S-Line though, I guess you could always import one.. But it's just something about the 4L Q7 that just looked fast, stylish, and tough, all at the same time. Even in non S-Line form. Where did everyone first see/notice the 4L Q7? Hard to believe it came out more than 10 years ago.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

there are two in my neighborhood one is a former MB ML driver the other had a Q5. every time i see either of them i think they're touaregs until i get closer.

i dont think AOA is going to do an S-Line in the US only because it will help push people to the SQ7 or justify it's lofty price tag without getting the same appearance package as the standard Q7. (not fact just my opinion)
Old 02-20-2016, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Totally agree, the Touareg resembes the new Q7 a lot more than it did for the 4L. Especially the new wing mirrors. I actually do like the new mirror design because it has major benefits for visibility. And it looks like wings coming off of the side of the car. Lol

I think you are right about the SQ7. It's the unfortunate truth but hopefully the SQ7 with be pretty kicka$$.. Lol.

The all wheel steering scares me on the new Q7... I know I'm comparing apples to oranges but in the early 2000's GM experimented with AWS on their Denali pickup trucks and it was a complete disaster, I know there were several common issues like the wheels moving wrong directions, getting stuck turned one direction, etc.. Lol. I wish there was a way to get air suspension without AWS... Oh well..
Old 02-20-2016, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Expert

prelude nailed it without issue hopefully audi can too.

the side effect from mirrors mounted on body and not integrated into the frame is the GM style quarter window from 70's. on cars like the rs7 they blocked out the area but having a glass there just throws off the design. it is something i have noticed across the entire vag family and now on other marques.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I hope you're right. Hopefully Audi's first attempt at air suspension with the C5 Allroad isn't foreshadowing of what's to come with their first attempt at AWS... Lol

A lot of VAGs new design language reminds me of 70's-90's GM... Either they're trying to bring back the nostalgia of the crappy cars from that time period or just didn't get the memo that no one liked the desgins. Haha
Old 02-21-2016, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Expert

agreed. the long dash vent is very reminiscent of 80's GM:
Old 02-21-2016, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Good video that goes over the features of the new Q7 vs Old Q7. I'm still torn between whether I would ever want the New Q7 or not, because for one, I love the new tech in the new Q7 and it is miles ahead of the old Q7. But the outgoing 4L Q7 has many design traits from traditional Audi. The new Q7 has really deviated from the traditional design language and and went a very different design. But I guess as long as Audi doesn't go too extreme and create alien cars like Lexus, I'll be happy. Lol
Old 02-21-2016, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default well for me..

the "pikes peak" is still the better looking of the 2. I finally saw one in person the other day and I still like my 2012 better. The new tech. might sway me eventually but mine has 99% of that as well. the new interior is nice for sure.

2003 Audi Pikes Peak Quattro - Conceptcarz
Old 02-21-2016, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huge Audi fan here but not a SUV guy... don't hate me.
My wife doesn't like minivans so our only option always have been SUVs. I've always liked the Q7 except for the 3rd row space, or lack there of. The new one is a little better and a 6' person could probably sit back there for a couple of hours (at the most). In the outgoing Q7, that was impossible. I really like what they've done with the new Q7's interior but you guys are right, the exterior will take a little getting used to though not bad/ugly-just different. It's like kimchee-an acquired taste.
I test drove the new Q7 a few weeks ago and I gotta say, it drives nice! The 3.0T has very good pickup and handling is as good as it gets for a SUV its size, IMHO. We'll probably dump our GL450 in a year or two and get into a Q7. The salesman told me both the 4.0T and 2.0T models will be available in the states in a year or two. 4.0T.....yeah baby, yeah!
Old 02-21-2016, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The Pikes Peak concept was very ahead of its time for 2003. LED lighting, etc. very cool.

Also, luv2sleep, did your salesman say whether the 4.0T will be on the normal Q7 or on the SQ7?

Quick Reply: The 4L Q7 had a good run. It's weird seeing new ones on the road