Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

ABS Pump & Module issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ABS Pump & Module issues

Hello all, I did search but did not find the answers I was looking for. I hope someone can help. I have an error code 01276 in which my Audi Code reader shows that as ABS Hydraulic Pump Leak. However, I am not leaking brake fluid (that I can see or find) my reservoir is full and all that. My brakes do feel a bit weak or mushy if that makes sense. I've been doing so much research and there is so much conflicting data. I have read that this is usually just the module that goes bad, and simply replacing it or having it rebuilt will solve my issues. That way I just leave the pump and distribution block connected so I don't have to not drive it or worry about bleeding the brakes. However, the old school mechanic in me tells me if the actual brakes feel mushy then there must be air in the system. But, I have read that a faulty module can send mixed signals to the pump, and it can actually release pressure, just like it does when it is working on slick roads when you are stopping, so causing the weaker brakes. Here is my issue, a new unit is close to $2,000 + the labor and Audi coding it. The only rebuilt ones (which are few) are all over in Europe and are $400 - $500 + shipping (great deal really). The other option would be to buy a full used unit and hope for the best. I do know regardless a trip to Audi is required to "code" the new unit. I did find a company in UT that can rebuild just the module, but not the pump. I am sure they could probably just test my module to see if its bad.
Questions:
What is the chances that this is just the Module being bad? I mean can a faulty module actually change the pressure in the peddle? Or am I truly looking at a bad pump? I am just trying to find out what the real issue is. Because if its the module only, I can have that rebuilt and leave the pump and all that connected to the vehicle. If its the pump/block, I can just buy a used unit and have all of that swapped out, but I could actually still use my factory module and not have to worry about a trip to the dealer to reprogram a new Module.

Any advise or assistance would be great.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

A bad module will usually cause fault lights on your dash to come on, but it shouldn't affect the operation of your brakes. If your brakes feel mushy then you've got other issues. I'd start by bleeding them to make sure there's no air in the lines. Check for any leaks around the calipers and especially around any of the flexible brake hoses. You could have a bad master cylinder that's causing the brakes to feel mushy. If the cylinder has a bad seal it will allow fluid to leak past the seal and not provide adequate hydraulic pressure to the brake calipers. You could also have a bad caliper.

I assume you have a Bosch ABS module since that seems to be what all Audis used. I have never owned a VW or Audi that did not have to have the module rebuilt at some point. You can almost be guaranteed that it will fail. I don't know if they've ever fixed the design, but the older modules use very thin wires between the microcircuit and the outer pins of the module that will wear out from fatigue and break the internal connections, causing the fault indications. There are lots of places that can rebuild them at a reasonable cost. I've never paid more than $200 to have one rebuilt. It's not a difficult repair and most places can turn it around in a week. You can drive the car with the module removed without affecting normal operation of the brake system. I just pull the module and cover the block with a plastic bag to keep out any contaminants until I can reinstall the module. You can find instructions on pulling the module on YouTube.

As far as recoding a module by the dealer, you can probably do it using a VAG-COM.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you. The code I am getting says ABS Hydraulic Pump leaking. So I would think the pump would be the first place to start. This did not happen until the light came on, and them magically the brakes felt weak. I would think that if I had a leak somewhere else I would have gotten a different code correct? The actual Brake Light to come on vs the ESP which is what mine is.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey mate. According to Ross Techs website for audi fault codes, p/01276 relate to the ABS pump controller as an electrical fault and not “hydraulic leak”. What scan tool are you using bud?
Old 06-22-2018, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Is that the only code?

Few things you can check since that code centers on the Pump operation. Have someone turn on the vehicle, not start, while you listen closely to the ABS pump. It should do a check each time the ignition is turned on and you should hear it run for a second or two If you don't hear it, check the fuse. If the fuse is good, you can take the module off the hydraulic section and check the connections between the Pump and module. If all is good, find someone with a VAG-COM, then you can run a pump check. If it still does not run it can really only be two things; the module or the pump motor.

FWIW I think Q7's use Continental Modules not Bosch, at least that is what my '11 and '14 had
Old 06-24-2018, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GTPlus
FWIW I think Q7's use Continental Modules not Bosch, at least that is what my '11 and '14 had
Good to know. I assumed it was a Bosch because every previous Audi and VW I've owned all had Bosch ABS modules.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Up-it
Hey mate. According to Ross Techs website for audi fault codes, p/01276 relate to the ABS pump controller as an electrical fault and not “hydraulic leak”. What scan tool are you using bud?
I am using a XTool reader. Its basically a knock off of the Ross Tech. I used to be able to cycle the ABS pump before, but I can no longer do it since this issue started. So I would agree, its either the module has gone bad, or the pump is shot. I was not aware there was an ABS pump fuse. Anyone know where it is?
Old 06-25-2018, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GTPlus
Is that the only code?

Few things you can check since that code centers on the Pump operation. Have someone turn on the vehicle, not start, while you listen closely to the ABS pump. It should do a check each time the ignition is turned on and you should hear it run for a second or two If you don't hear it, check the fuse. If the fuse is good, you can take the module off the hydraulic section and check the connections between the Pump and module. If all is good, find someone with a VAG-COM, then you can run a pump check. If it still does not run it can really only be two things; the module or the pump motor.

Yes that is the only code I have. I clear it, and it immediately comes right back on. The brakes are weaker too. I have to really push the brakes down harder for the same braking power I used to have. So no lose of fluid can be found...
Old 01-17-2022, 11:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeIndy35
Yes that is the only code I have. I clear it, and it immediately comes right back on. The brakes are weaker too. I have to really push the brakes down harder for the same braking power I used to have. So no lose of fluid can be found...
I had the same code 01276, had been driving for months without any abnormalities. I decided to take to local ABS repair shop. They charged around 500usd. The hard part for Q7 is to get the module out. It is module repair(soldering).
​​