Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Acceleration

Hello everybody
I have a 2007 Audi q7 4.2 premium

when I make a full stop , and then press the pedal again to go . The engine rev goes up but the car takes time to move and then suddenly it moves as if it jumps forward
only when I press pedal very slowly , then it would move normal

I also noticed that in high gears there is no problem I think it is only in 1st and 2d gear this acceleration problem ..specially 1st gear when I'm stopped or moving at like 5km/h and so .

any advice would be much appreciated
oh and my car has 260k kilometers on it
that's like 160k miles .
Old 03-16-2018, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Kh
Hello everybody
I have a 2007 Audi q7 4.2 premium

when I make a full stop , and then press the pedal again to go . The engine rev goes up but the car takes time to move and then suddenly it moves as if it jumps forward
only when I press pedal very slowly , then it would move normal

I also noticed that in high gears there is no problem I think it is only in 1st and 2d gear this acceleration problem ..specially 1st gear when I'm stopped or moving at like 5km/h and so .

any advice would be much appreciated
oh and my car has 260k kilometers on it
that's like 160k miles .
Put the trans in "S", does it the issue go away?
Old 03-17-2018, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I have to ask...

how many miles and have you ever had the trans service done (60 to 70 k is a good frequency for service)
Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Put the trans in "S", does it the issue go away?
not totally but it's better
I've also noticed that lets say I'm driving on the 3d gear and I noticed a red light in the distance I take off my foot on the gas so the car decrease speed and then after seconds goes to 2nd shift normally cause it is decreasing speed but when I see it's a green light so I press the gas pedal again and there I can tell it is lagging and actually engine is racing but the car not accelerating normally and nor shifting to third but instead engine rev goes up and the car kind of jumps forward as if u feel it was stuck on 2nd gear and then boom to the third with a high force
Old 03-18-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by flynavy
how many miles and have you ever had the trans service done (60 to 70 k is a good frequency for service)
it's at 160 k miles and I don't know when or if previous owners changed the transition oil I got it at 158k miles and only noticed this issue after a month of the purchase sadly!
Old 03-18-2018, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same issues with my 2014 Q7 Prem. Read somewhere on this forum a sequence you can perform that will reset the memory that the tranny uses to adapt to your driving technique. It is a series of key turns and accelerator pressings, it definitely improved the issue.
here is the link:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post24795436

from the thread:

You can try the transmission adaptive memory reset - ignition on but do not start the engine, hold the throttle on the kick-down for 10 seconds or so then release and turn off ignition.

This is supposed to reset the driving-style shift pattern that the transmission uses and sets it back to factory settings.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Kh
not totally but it's better
I've also noticed that lets say I'm driving on the 3d gear and I noticed a red light in the distance I take off my foot on the gas so the car decrease speed and then after seconds goes to 2nd shift normally cause it is decreasing speed but when I see it's a green light so I press the gas pedal again and there I can tell it is lagging and actually engine is racing but the car not accelerating normally and nor shifting to third but instead engine rev goes up and the car kind of jumps forward as if u feel it was stuck on 2nd gear and then boom to the third with a high force
Sounds kind of serious, the long rev cycling into a harsher shift is a feature of S mode, but the other issues not so much, if your fluid level is correct there could be a issue with the transmission itself. So sorry.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by surflj
I had the same issues with my 2014 Q7 Prem. Read somewhere on this forum a sequence you can perform that will reset the memory that the tranny uses to adapt to your driving technique. It is a series of key turns and accelerator pressings, it definitely improved the issue.
here is the link:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post24795436

from the thread:

You can try the transmission adaptive memory reset - ignition on but do not start the engine, hold the throttle on the kick-down for 10 seconds or so then release and turn off ignition.

This is supposed to reset the driving-style shift pattern that the transmission uses and sets it back to factory settings.
it actually improved the acceleration from zero , thank you
Old 03-19-2018, 11:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by arU4ic
Sounds kind of serious, the long rev cycling into a harsher shift is a feature of S mode, but the other issues not so much, if your fluid level is correct there could be a issue with the transmission itself. So sorry.
thats ok , may i ask u another question
do u think air filters have anything to do with this issue?
im pretty sure they are 3 years old now and i should change em
Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

really doubt it, but you should change them anyhow..

If your getting hard shifts, and your over 70k miles with original ATF fluid.. get the fluids changed, your well over twice what the Transmission Manufacturer would recommend.. but Audi has no recommendation on changing ATF fluid, so in all likelihood your rocking 160k mile ATF.

Everyone should be putting new ATF in ~65/70k miles, despite what Audi thinks.

Quick Reply: Acceleration