Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

another towing question.. have factory tow pkg

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default another towing question.. have factory tow pkg

Have a 2013 Q7 TDI with factory tow package and Adaptive Air... I'd like to use a small trailer to bring a big lawn mower 2 miles to cut my mothers grass. I have no clue what is needed to fit a small trailer. Where do I start? Have access to a trailer, but wondering what is needed to make it work. In the meantime, I'll keep searching forum. Know I'll need a ball, right? size?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

measure the hitch height and then get a ball with appropriate drop and size.. your probably also need a 7-pin to 4-pin trailer wiring adapter.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by yosie16
Have a 2013 Q7 TDI with factory tow package and Adaptive Air... I'd like to use a small trailer to bring a big lawn mower 2 miles to cut my mothers grass. I have no clue what is needed to fit a small trailer. Where do I start? Have access to a trailer, but wondering what is needed to make it work. In the meantime, I'll keep searching forum. Know I'll need a ball, right? size?
Since it is obvious that you've never towed before I suggest you "phone a friend" for your first trip so you can get pointers on driving and backing.

Growing up my dad made sure all of the kids could drive stick shift, understand 4wd, and how to hitch and tow a trailer. I've thanked him numerous times over the years for it.

Grey
Old 09-17-2017, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yosie16
I assume you do have a tow hitch already. If not, you need to get one. Does your vehicle comes with the receiver installed or just comes prewired for tow hitch?
Old 09-17-2017, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

On mine Hitch Height is ~18in in Comfort, ~17in in Dynamic.. I'm pretty sure when you hookup the trailer on OEM kit it locks the air suspension at that height and wont lower at speed, I put it in comfort and use a hitch of 2in for my lil trailer with a 16in hitch height for nice level travel.. You want it level and well balanced with 10-15% tongue weight.

Give your self extra room to stop and engine brake if your going through hills, it will follow you anywhere you point the Q7.. dont overload trailer and dont speed and you'll be pretty good as long as you dont forget its back there.. Good trailer tires can make/brake yeh, blowouts suck *** on a trailer.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

In the air menu, there's an option for towing, I believe that is what dreadlocks is referring to with the suspension not moving; more importantly it turns off the rear parking sensors!

The trailer light adapter is this,
Amazon Amazon
Old 09-17-2017, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes thats the same, but with the factory towing package its enabled/disabled automagically when you plug into the wiring harness.. The manual option is largely for use with a bike rack so parking sensors dont go crazy.. Should also be enabled when on rollers for emissions testing or a tow truck so it wont loosen the straps that are securing it..
Old 09-17-2017, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

You're right, its matched up with the trailer plug. Brain fart! People on ClubTouareg were using dummy plugs to fool the sensors to not beep or auto open the hatch.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

If the vehicle has never been used for towing, you will likely need to install a trailer wire adapter. This adapter connected to the OEM wiring in the vehicle. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...hoCRaAQAvD_BwE
Old 09-18-2017, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
If the vehicle has never been used for towing, you will likely need to install a trailer wire adapter. This adapter connected to the OEM wiring in the vehicle. ]
There is a MUCH less expensive alternative made by Pollak; and I'll bet the one in the link is made by Pollak. The OEM Audi part is.

US$14.00 here:

Amazon Amazon

Porsche supplies this exact same socket with tow equipped Cayennes. I guess that Audi just can't afford it.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 09-18-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Quick Reply: another towing question.. have factory tow pkg