Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Another towing thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another towing thread

I am in the market for a used Q7. I just got back from driving one and forgot to check out RPM's at speed by gear. Do the 4.2's and 3.6's have the same transmissions and gearing?

What RPM do you run when going 60mph in what gear? What about 70mph? Looking to replace my Xterra with a 3 row SUV that can tow my boat. Xterra has the power, but the gearing makes it like to run either 75mph in 4th or 50mph in 3rd to keep the motor in the sweet spot.
?
Old 06-15-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

The 4.2's and 3.6's have the 6spd ZF Gearbox, I think gearing is the same but not 100% on that, I dont know what your engine RPM will be at highway speeds but it will do significantly better than that XTerra.. first off all the Q7 has +1 ton more tow capacity, and a quick glance at specs show why your X-Terra has to be beat on.. it reaches max torque @ 4k rpm and the 3.6L VR6 Q7 reaches max torque at 2500rpm and holds it to 5k.. so regardless of gearing your already in a much better situation power wise.

How much does that trailer weigh? I tow 5k pounds with my diesel 8spd through the mountains nearly every weekend now, and im never wanting for power or struggling to be going as fast as I want.. If yeh really want a tower get a Diesel, I get the same fuel economy towing as the Gas engines do unladen in the city.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd suggest getting the 3.0TDI with the 8 speed transmission. I tow a 2012 Mastercraft X2 with it (single axle) and it's a breeze, it's a bit heavier than your Yamaha. Don't bother with the gasser unless you have to.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the response. Good to know about the torque number is flat. I actually have a Passat with the same 3.6L. It does pretty well in that car.

I drove a Q7 with 4.2L, Lexus GX470 with the 4.7L V8 and Sequoia with 5.7 today. The only one that felt like it had more power than the Xterra was the Sequoia based on acceleration. The VQ is eager to rev, but gearing is tall. The only one I liked driving of
the group was the Q7. The thing I liked about the Q7 was the longer wheelbase. I feel more way with the short based Xterra. The Pathfinder of the same generation has 1500lbs more tow rating because of that.

My wife and I have been thinking about getting a Q7 TDI to replace her 2016 Pilot, but she needs an 8 passenger. She uses that feature at least once a month. So replacing the X with used Q7 a third car and tower might make sense. We only have 4 stalls
to park everything so I won't do big tower like Armada or Xterra. I wish I could find a Pathfinder with V8, but they are pretty hard to find.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Also what has to be done if they don't have a hitch? I noticed the V6s seem not to have them .

Also has anyone had an X5? I was just curious if they have as many problems as the reviews show . I always had great luck with 3 series so it was kind of a shock .
Old 06-15-2018, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...it/4l0092101c/

If it came with Factory Tow Package it has a 6600# tow rating, if you add a hitch after the fact its 5000# tow rating.. the difference being the factory kit comes with a larger cooling system.. depending on engine either larger radiator and/or more powerful fans. (IIRC the 4.2 and TDI came with larger radiator regardless, and the factory tow pkg only added the fan/shroud upgrade)

Few people ordered the factory tow package, the best way to tell is to look at original window sticker.. it'll show if the hitch was built or added later.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

That’s a heavy boat. If you tow it often I strongly suggest you get a TDI with factory tow package. Ours gets 19 mpg towing 5500 lbs of track car and trailer and tires and tools. The factory tow package does lots of things like managing the back up proximity alarms and changing brake bias. ( think backing down a launching ramp without having the front wheels lock) They are out there if you search and since the owners have already received their emissions scandal compensation, many are moving to newer vehicles. It’s a buyers market.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sounds like the Q7 might not be up to the task unless I get TDI and at that price point I am going to be able to get an Armada or Sequoia that might be a better option .
Old 06-15-2018, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Could be. I had a 5.7 V8 Tundra before the Q7 though. The Q7 actually handles my trailered track car as well or better. The 3.0T supercharged Q7s are stronger than the 3.6 and torquier than even the 4.2. Towing rating is the same for all I believe.
I really like the Sequoia. Not so fond of the Armada but appearance is personal preference.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I love your fleet. Which car do you track? My friend towed his GT3 with a Q7 3.6L for over 100k with no issues, but it was an enclosed custom aero trailer that didn't create huge drag. That is what put it on the map for me.

Wife has me pinned down to 3 cars. Q7 reminded me a lot of my MDX sport, but better towing power. I think the I drove a Sequoia today. It feels like a monster and great tower, but can't see ever wanting to drive it without the boat. I know an Armada can tow. I have pulled a 30 foot Toy Hauler with Formula car in it that weighed 6000lbs+. It was a tough load and it did it like nothing.

Since I tow the boat only 12 times a year and usually less than 40 miles and never more than 150 miles I probably can get by with the X even though I would love a 3rd row. If the transmission or motor goes I could just replace them with a Titan motor and transmission since they bolt right in. Then I would have a pretty tough little compact SUV. (7 inches shorter than Q5)

Quick Reply: Another towing thread