Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Anticipated cost to replace rotors and pads?

Old 08-12-2016, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anticipated cost to replace rotors and pads?

My wife's 2014 Q7 was just in for 35k mile service and dealer said front rotors are at 4mm, rears at 5mm, and Audi's opinion is replace at 3mm. So they're recommending either now, or soon, do rotor/pad replacement, roughly $900. I haven't shopped around the independent shops but was curious if this sounds reasonable or I should shop it around? Also, the stock pads seem fairly dusty; anyone have opinions on aftermarket pads that are better in general or stick with oem?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2016, 11:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well, I just spent about $570 for 4 rotors and pads without labor, so $900 sounds about right for parts and labor.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pdisme
Also, the stock pads seem fairly dusty; anyone have opinions on aftermarket pads that are better in general or stick with oem?

Thanks!
Rotex Gold!! They are far superior to anything I have tried.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rotex Gold?! Where do you buy them? I can't even find the manufacturer - Canada, right? DUTCH - you must have the inside line on these pads. The only online business that sells them seems to be defunct. Can you give a link please?

I went with Hawk Performance Ceramic (PC) pads - very little dust, no noise, and smooth stops. The OEMS were very dusty, grabby, and squealed. Hawk is recommended by moi (and easy to find unlike Rotex Gold).

$900 is a great deal if its parts and labor. Usually it is >$1500 at the dealer. If you want to do it yourself it can be a satisfying but at times frustrating experience if you just have a floor jack:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...dbits-2865503/
Old 08-13-2016, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by S8code3
Rotex Gold?! Where do you buy them? I can't even find the manufacturer - Canada, right? DUTCH - you must have the inside line on these pads. The only online business that sells them seems to be defunct. Can you give a link please?
Try here: Rotex Brake Pads - The No Black Dust Brake Pad - Rotex Gold, Silver, Severe Duty

Front P/N: DA014D 7878-D1014M

Rear: P/N: D9978D 7908-D978M

I did not like the marginally less than OEM reddish brown dust from the Hawk ceramics on my 2010 Q7.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks.

So interesting - that internet dealer was offline 2 months ago and no one answered the phone.

Guess I will have to wait until next brake pad change to try them. Won't be long in the heavy Q7, for sure.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by S8code3
Thanks.

So interesting - that internet dealer was offline 2 months ago and no one answered the phone.

Guess I will have to wait until next brake pad change to try them. Won't be long in the heavy Q7, for sure.
I have 26k miles on the Rotex Gold, and they are only about half worn. Also, no wear or lips on the rotors. I like these pads.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
I have 26k miles on the Rotex Gold, and they are only about half worn. Also, no wear or lips on the rotors. I like these pads.
Dutch - how do these compare to the OEMs in terms of stopping power, etc?
Old 08-15-2016, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sashir
Dutch - how do these compare to the OEMs in terms of stopping power, etc?
About the same. However, sadly, I have just heard from Brakewarehouse.com that Rotex is NLA and has gone out of business. It's a damned shame, as my experience is that they are the best pads I have ever used.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
About the same. However, sadly, I have just heard from Brakewarehouse.com that Rotex is NLA and has gone out of business. It's a damned shame, as my experience is that they are the best pads I have ever used.
Ah - no wonder I could not find them on the website.
I am due soon for new rotors and pads. Any other recommendations for for other brands? I'd prefer to not go to the Audi dealer this time, and will look for an independent shop to do the installation. What is a fair price for installation?
I live in northern California.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anticipated cost to replace rotors and pads?