Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Any recent experience with Parada Spec-X?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any recent experience with Parada Spec-X?

We are due for 4 new tires. I planned to get the Firestone Destination ST, however, they have now been discontinued. I was able to find a dealer across the country who has 4 but I am slightly concerned for ordering that way. another option is the Yokohama Spec-X. I saw some reviews many years ago complaining about rim protection but I noticed the OEM tires don't fully cover other. Are there any folks running these now that can comment? I do have the S-line.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-2015, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default I have pradas and pirellis..

I have 2 sets of wheels 1 set mounted with the spec x and one 1 set mounted with pirelli scorpions. The Yoko tires are quieter than the Pirelli scorpions but they have a squishy feel to them. The Pirellis give you great feedback from the road which in turn gives you more confidence in pushing them, but they require "pushing" to get the max effort out of them. The Yokos do not have the feedback BUT they seem to do everything that the others do as far as handling goes. Both seem about the same in wet conditions but I have not used the Yokos off road at all. The Pirelli tires work really well for street tires. I took my Q& prestige s line up a mtn. road that had both rocky rough spots and deep soft dirt. At one point I didn't think it was a wise move but the Audi just crawled up the hill with no muss or fuss. I am not a big off road guy but was impressed with what I did.

Originally Posted by C6Silver
We are due for 4 new tires. I planned to get the Firestone Destination ST, however, they have now been discontinued. I was able to find a dealer across the country who has 4 but I am slightly concerned for ordering that way. another option is the Yokohama Spec-X. I saw some reviews many years ago complaining about rim protection but I noticed the OEM tires don't fully cover other. Are there any folks running these now that can comment? I do have the S-line.

Thanks!

Last edited by flynavy; 12-11-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for your report! Do they cover the entire wheel or do you feel the rim sticks out more than with OEM?
Old 12-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw some reviews many years ago complaining about rim protection but I noticed the OEM tires don't fully cover other. Are there any folks running these now that can comment? I do have the S-line.
I can confirm they offer zero curb protection. Wife has the yoko prada spec-x on our '09 4.2 S-Line and wheels are pretty curb-rashed from her parallel parking events. Bang for buck tho, they can't be beat and handle good across all seasons. I'll buy them again for her on the next round.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the Spec-X and they were a good bargain that lasted 27k and offered no rim protection. Much happier with my Pirelli Verde Plus, and they have a 65k mile treadwear warranty...they're wearing quite well so far.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

vredestein is a very good alternative to dunlop if you are shopping for better pricing but hoping to retain performance. if you contact phil over at detailer's domain he can get you very good pricing.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu
I had the Spec-X and they were a good bargain that lasted 27k and offered no rim protection. Much happier with my Pirelli Verde Plus, and they have a 65k mile treadwear warranty...they're wearing quite well so far.
Outside of warranty, what do you like much better about them?
Old 12-09-2015, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by osmack
I can confirm they offer zero curb protection. Wife has the yoko prada spec-x on our '09 4.2 S-Line and wheels are pretty curb-rashed from her parallel parking events. Bang for buck tho, they can't be beat and handle good across all seasons. I'll buy them again for her on the next round.
How does it compare to OEM? I noticed there some edge that shows on those.
Old 12-10-2015, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Outside of warranty, what do you like much better about them?
I'm in Seattle too, and they're great in the rain. Hasn't snowed since I got them, so I can't say how they compare in that, but I never liked the Spec-X in the snow.

As for rim protection, it actually has some verses the Yokos that had none whatsoever. Almost seemed like the Yokos are a narrower tire despite the same tire size.

As for treadwear, they're MUCH better so far in the 10k I've put on them. My OEM Conti 4x4 I got 19k, Scorpion Asyms got 18k, the Spec-x I got 27k, and based on the wear so far, I might get double that with the Verde Plus.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chingwodapigu
I'm in Seattle too, and they're great in the rain. Hasn't snowed since I got them, so I can't say how they compare in that, but I never liked the Spec-X in the snow.

As for rim protection, it actually has some verses the Yokos that had none whatsoever. Almost seemed like the Yokos are a narrower tire despite the same tire size.

As for treadwear, they're MUCH better so far in the 10k I've put on them. My OEM Conti 4x4 I got 19k, Scorpion Asyms got 18k, the Spec-x I got 27k, and based on the wear so far, I might get double that with the Verde Plus.

Great info. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Any recent experience with Parada Spec-X?