Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Anyone add Air to a Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone add Air to a Q7?

So I just grabbed a Q7 to replace one of our SUV's we would use on trips. I got a great deal on a single owner 2012 3.0 tdi Prestige S line. Appears to have all the options except air suspension. Now I don't tow often, but based on all the reviews and posts I have read everyone says to get a q7 with air if your towing 6k lbs. I am not trying to start a war here, but I was wondering if anyone has either installed an aftermarket air kit, or pieced together an oem version.

I really only want to be able to give the rear some support when towing. I dont tow fast or often, but when I do I want it to be setup as best as possible. I have also decided I will install a brake controller as well (found a guy on ebay that makes a nice kit) So has anyone added a compressor and 2 rear air shocks to create a manual system? I have an A8L with an rs7 motor in it so I am not worried about programming the MMI or getting help from my dealer friends to try and sort stuff out, just figured I would ask here first.

Any and all ideas are welcomed. I have added air to a few tow rigs, but nothing that had IRS like a q7.

thanks-.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

You could piece together oem parts from ebay and retrofit it. Its been done with the Touareg on another forum.

Tank
lines
level sensors
airstrut/ shock combo
VCDS to reprogram the car.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

I have contemplated adding air to one or both of mine, after owning an early US Q7 with adaptive (and towing anywhere from 1500-8000lbs with it). I have a pair of rear units, so I would just need the fronts, an air compressor and a controller. I have thought about not using the factory stuff due to issues I had with it. A Viair compressor would be a great choice along with one of the various controller manufacturers. Any aftermarket kit would likely be easier to install than the OEM, as the OEM would require a fair amount of coding to be done. Also, aftermarket doesn't have to do all four corners, you could do just the rear for towing.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

OEM is gonna cost more than selling your Q7 at a loss and buying one with Air Suspension.. for me it was the one option I would not compromise on and I flew across the country to get one with it.
The following users liked this post:
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (03-03-2021)
Old 03-04-2019, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

If you got a Q7 for a good buy, retrofitting the air isn't too difficult. OEM, you're pulling your current shocks and struts and putting in the air units, the upper and lower control arms are exactly the same. The cost would be a couple grand, selling your Q and finding one with air is going to most likely end up 5k+. Now if you decide to go aftermarket and run something like air-ride; all bets are off. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2021, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a recommended aftermarket option; e.g. one with a trusted history?
Old 03-02-2021, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts

I came across some of their videos on Youtube, I think mostly going the other way away from air. Check them out.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/

Originally Posted by bdogChicago
Is there a recommended aftermarket option; e.g. one with a trusted history?

Last edited by Steelcoil; 03-02-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 701 Likes on 582 Posts
Default I Do Love A Project, But...

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
OEM is gonna cost more than selling your Q7 at a loss and buying one with Air Suspension.. for me it was the one option I would not compromise on and I flew across the country to get one with it.
LOL, we bought a low miles '10 TDI, which was great until we figured out how much better the car is with a few different options packages. So then we kept the '10 and bought a '15 TDI Sline/air susp/running boards/vented seats (ok, you really do want vented seats if you live in a hot/humid area, trust me). I went online and found cars with air susp and other options needed, then watched them to see if they dropped. A gorgeous, lava grey pearl '15 dropped to $19k and we pounced on it. Sure, it was five states away, but at that price...sheesh! They were getting calls on it while I was in the lobby waiting to sign papers on it. I'm with Dreadlocks on this one; If air suspension and factory towing is what you want, and it is 'what you want', believe me it is awesome to have the full air suspension. I can say that with confidence as I have one steel suspension and one air suspension TDI. The air suspension rides better and is much more capable both on-road and off-road. I priced some air suspension bits just for grins thinking about my 2010, but decided that's just sheer folly for the costs involved. Lots of owners tow heavy on steel suspension cars, and there are several threads on here you can read about how they manage best.
The following users liked this post:
drjonez (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

In the past when ever I have done a retrofit; I buy a crashed car, take off what I need and sell the rest as parts. If you put time into it you could possibly do this with little cost except your time.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 701 Likes on 582 Posts

Do yourself a favor and go look at the threads on towing upgrades, etc. I'd leave the car as it is, or maybe just get some air shocks for the rear if you have problems with sag from a heavy trailer. What I know is I've loaded all manner of everything heavy with the seats folded flat and my steel suspension TDI just shrugs it off, and if anything simply rides better under the loaded suspension.

Now if you can't live without having the air-suspension, then I say go find a TDI with all the options on it, and never look back.