Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Anyone near Sactown w/ a VAG/VCDS who can help with trailer light issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2019, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone near Sactown w/ a VAG/VCDS who can help with trailer light issues

I recently acquired a Q7 w/ tow package and the lights do not want to work on my boat when hooked up. I have narrowed my problem down to the car needed to be in "US mode" for the trailer/towing settings. I do not have the software needed and would be thrilled to find someone near sacramento who could help me out (I can pay you, I don't want to go to the dealer). I heard this is an easy fix on the computer. I am 40 min north of sacramento, california in placerville.

The Q7 was hooked up to a Uhaul trailer and all lights but brake lights worked, I pulled a car 80 miles home and in the driveway after I was done the lights were just flashing on the trailer when the car was off. Fast forward to today and now I have no lights and no power it appears at the connection by the hitch. I did run the battery low recently and I have read that may have messed up the computer.

Any help is appreciated. Joseph.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Do you have the key out of the ignition when you plug in the trailer to the vehicle? Sounds dumb I know, but you cannot plug trailer to the vehicle with the engine running. It will throw off the lights.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the tip. I took it to German Auto Werks in Placerville and had them go on the computer and switch it from ROW to USA/CANADA/Mexico, brought it home and it was fixed - all lights on trailer work. Funny thing is was when he was messing around the computer it seemed to have already been on this setting, but he entered it anyway and somehow it worked. I will remember that when I go to tow something. Thanks!