AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MK 1 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/)
-   -   Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for Q7 MMI 2G (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/apple-carplay-android-auto-q7-mmi-2g-2971459/)

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 04-30-2019 11:42 AM

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for Q7 MMI 2G

Finally I had time to install Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to my 2008 Q7, I can't stand any car without CarPlay. I've just done in time for my trip to LA this weekend. I'll get the touchscreen in when I have time, but using the airmouse is quite efficient.

Cheers,
Louis

airwhen 04-30-2019 12:45 PM

What system or solution did you use on the Q7? The few that I have seen lack an important features such as pass through GPS for Google Maps / Waze, etc.

Agreed, after using CarPlay it’s hard to go back to a standard system.

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 04-30-2019 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by airwhen (Post 25310306)
What system or solution did you use on the Q7? The few that I have seen lack an important features such as pass through GPS for Google Maps / Waze, etc.

Agreed, after using CarPlay it’s hard to go back to a standard system.

Most of after market solutions are not integrated to Audi MMI 2G correctly.
All MMI 2G-3G with back up camera has a RVC controller which has 3 Video inputs - 1 to the head unit FBAS - 1 to the camera and the other is for TV tuner or DVD player.
Analog TV tuner only available in Europe and used one are quite inexpensive, less than $100 including shipping, some even $60, they may look ugly but as long as they work is fine. Each Analog TV tuner has 2 AV inputs - You can use one for CarPlay and other for external TV tuner from US or use the Audio as Bluetooth streaming device.
CarPlay and Android Auto is achievable by an Android USB dongle made for Zjinnova Z-box. It only works with Android OS, therefore we need an Android TV Box to send AV to Analog TV Tuner to the MMI system.
After you configure the Android TV Box with Zbox software, just plug and play.
For the Q7 without touchscreen all you need:
-TV tuner with AV input cables.
-Android TV Box with AV out and some don't have, if you use HDMI, you need HDMI to AV composite (hit and miss on this one), some work, some don't.
-Android CarPlay USB dongle. Make sure it's Zjinnova and not some off brand.
-Air Mouse.
-USB microphone for iMessage since the CarPlay app can't use the phone microphone.
-Capacitive Touchscreen only cost $22 from Ebay.
I'll update the website when needed. I've seen people wanted the easy stuff for Audi media and spend tons of money for things don't work or not compatible with the system.
When you use Audi devices, the MOST bus will control them correctly, when phone call come, the MMI bluetooth takes precedence, when it's done, it will go back to the secondary device, ie music player or tv tuner. Many Android muxing devices sold, they use their bluetooth and it's never as clear and noise free like the Audi MMI bluetooth phone.
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for Audi MMI 2G ? Audi
Cheers,
Louis

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 05-15-2019 03:57 PM

What you need to get Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to play one MMI 2G and 3G.
Cheers,
Louis

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 10-13-2019 04:55 PM

Finished installing the touchscreen and updated iOS 13 CarPlay and Android Auto on my Q7 today. So nice.

Cheers,
Louis

Built4Sin 10-14-2019 12:28 AM

Can you throw up the link for the unit, you used (android box and most importantly the touch screen interface unit)? For actual usage this seems like the best option. The 10"+ screens seem like they might be overkill, since nobody in the backseat is going to be looking at it, even the passenger most likely.

Thanks for taking the time to show the unit, features, and the full install!

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 10-14-2019 01:05 PM

This is the android box I use - Although it's been updated with newer versions - to me itf it works, don't fix it - I've bought 3 so far.
This is the touchscreen I use - It's cheaper now.
This is the usb mic I use on both Audi -
I use these to power the Android Box
using a switch, if you don't want to solder, use these USB converter.

These should do it.
Cheers,
Louis

sam08861 11-11-2019 09:45 AM

Cool! I did something similar for another VAG product (continental gt)

How are you getting the GPS signal to the android device, does it have one built in or are you using something like garmin glo?

Or, is it just using the phone's gps via the carplay app?

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 11-11-2019 03:33 PM

CarPlay is to use the phone for everything

ltooz_a6_a8_q7 01-14-2020 03:43 PM

Control and navigate MMI 2G CarPlay with Knob.
Cheers,
Louis