Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Q7 2007 3.0 Startimg issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audi Q7 2007 3.0 Startimg issue

Hi all ,I have Q7 2007 model 3 litre. I m having starting problem last couple of year. Last year I changed starter motor to brand new Bosch, the problem gone away since a few months ago then it started again , I was doing jump start a few times until it came to the point that even the jump start Would not kicking in, only clicking sound then I bought brand new battery from Halfords and put in. It was working fine. Very powerful start when you turning the ignition but but last few days I start having this starting problem again. It will start sometime just a few attempts but another time it wouldn’t start at all. I have portable jumper starter, I did 4 jump start today. I wish someone could tell me what is the problem. Did anyone had same experience like me?

kind regards
Old 01-24-2019, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default did you "tell" your car you replaced the battery?

Originally Posted by ramazan topal
Hi all ,I have Q7 2007 model 3 litre. I m having starting problem last couple of year. Last year I changed starter motor to brand new Bosch, the problem gone away since a few months ago then it started again , I was doing jump start a few times until it came to the point that even the jump start Would not kicking in, only clicking sound then I bought brand new battery from Halfords and put in. It was working fine. Very powerful start when you turning the ignition but but last few days I start having this starting problem again. It will start sometime just a few attempts but another time it wouldn’t start at all. I have portable jumper starter, I did 4 jump start today. I wish someone could tell me what is the problem. Did anyone had same experience like me?

kind regards
I don't know about the older ones but my 2012 got a new battery and they had to use a vag/com to tell the charging system that the battery was new in order for the system to work properly. The q7 reacts poorly when the battery starts to fail and gives you all sorts of odd emectrical problems.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by flynavy
I don't know about the older ones but my 2012 got a new battery and they had to use a vag/com to tell the charging system that the battery was new in order for the system to work properly. The q7 reacts poorly when the battery starts to fail and gives you all sorts of odd emectrical problems.

No I didn’t coded the new battery, I didn’t know you have to do it. I throw the original battery away , I just found out that I need BEM code from the old battery, do I need to go to Audi to find out or would it be somehere in the history when Vag Com connected? Or if I need new battery’s BEM code , do I need to unscrew the passenger seat again? Also if I want to it myself which VAGCom I sould get because not every VAGCom compatible with my car. Do you have a link for the one that connects to my Audi easily?

Many thanks
Old 01-28-2019, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default you just have to "tell" the car you put a new battery in it

via vag/com reset
The following users liked this post:
Mbjmwarner (12-20-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 11:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I went to my garage. He told me that not every battery needs coding in fact it was true,when he connected my car to the vagcom in the battery selection part my battery wasn't listed but in the code section he changed the code.so the my battery was code to the car.That day the car started ok but the next day I went to a shop came home then stopped the car and I thought lets give it a try, as soon as I stopped the car waited 30 seconds then tried to restart but again the same problem. No power at all. I don't know what is next to check. Any more ideas please. Regards.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your new battery might have been ruined when you didn't code it when you installed it and it wasn't charging properly, or it's possible that the new battery is defective.

You also could have a battery drain in your system which is killing your battery. I would have the new battery checked, if that is ok, then you should look to see if there is a battery drain and if your alternator is charging properly.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for Your reply I will get it checked this weekend what you have pointed out and see.