Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Q7 2017 Starting problem. Clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 12:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Audi Q7 2017 Starting problem. Clicking noise

Hi all
I m having this starting problem. Last couple of days my Q7 wasn’t starting properly and I did jump start a few times. I was going to change the battery this weekend but yesterday I drove to school and dropped my kid to school came to the car and it didn’t start again, tried to jump start but this time it didn’t even start. Last night bought new battery tried jump start with the new battery still not starting. And gear stuck in Parking position.i was als using portable battery jump starter. Any ideas what has happened. Do you think if I put the new battery properly this would solve the problem?? Thanks for your help in advance
Old 12-17-2018, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Assuming original battery is in there, there is almost no way the battery is bad, it's most likely only a year old.
When you say tried to start, did it crank over or just do nothing.
So you are saying you left the new battery external with the original still connected???
If the original battery is actually shot, that setup wont gain you anything.
If there is a bad short somewhere, again that wont work.
Curious when you try to jump start, connect the negative, then tap the positive to the positive like, does it create a huge spark, kind of a hard question since u most likely dont know the difference between large spark and a normal spark. I large spark will almost weld the clip to the post. that would show there is a large drain on the system.
The original battery needs to be disconnected first of all. DONT add an external charger to hold all your settings, you want all battery power disconnected, let it sit like that for a few minutes so modules etc lose their settings.
Check the voltage of the original battery. a fully charged battery will be 12.65volts. I believe the car will make no attempt to start the car if the battery is below 10volts. but dont quote me on that.
check the voltage of the new battery.
I would try charging the old battery while its disconnected and see if it takes a charge, if it doesnt, then surely its bad.
connect new one and see what happens.
Note with all modules reset, fault lights may be on until the car starts moving so it can clear them