Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Q7 Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q7 Leak

Hi everyone,

I just bought a used 2007 Audi Q7 and a day after buying it we were driving and noticed some water dripping onto the passenger foot well. As soon as I turned the AC off the water stopped dripping.

It hasnt rained in the past week, and no water has gone through the sun roof drains (unless they washed the vehicle before giving this to me).

The next day I notice the check engine light is on and wont go off... anyone know what the problem could be?

We bought this from a Kia dealership that sells used cars, they said to take it in and they will fix the AC problem. Anyone know if I should be doing something else?

Should I be concerned about it being the sun roof?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If it stopped after you turned off the AC, it should just be the AC, especially if there is no water dripping under the car after you run the AC. If they clear the drain, it should be fine. For the sunroof, check in the spare tire compartment and the fuse boxes on driver and passenger side.

Check engine light could be anything (including if you left the gas cap loose), you have to scan the code. Probably not sunroof. Check back when you know the code.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is well known and simple fix. Read this and be armed with questions. The A/C condensor drain gets clogged at the bulkhead/firewall. They drop the lower panel (under glove box) and slide off the plastic clamp. release the ganky water into a plastic bag, rod the bladder valve through bulkhead and clean around. Reassemble, flush a bit of antibacterial cleaning fluid through and you are good for a few more years.
Tell them to be careful with the lower panel as the locating lugs break easily. (yes I cracked one pulling it out and had to use my hot glue gun to make it better than new)

Re CEL what engine is it?

Keep us informed of all progress please.

Last edited by Jusforfun; 08-23-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for all the quick replies!

The engine is the 3.6 6 cyl.

How would I go about scanning the code? The dealership has it right now and i notified them about the engine light, they said they are going to take a look at it.

They said that the problems I am having with the AC is not covered under my warranty, but they are going to flush the AC drains since I just bought the vehicle and take care of anything else related to the engine light problem.

Do you guys think I should take it to an actual Audi dealership service centre after Kia is done with it, or stick with the Kia service for this vehicle?

Thanks again!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The leak wasnt too bad but the mat/carpet did get wet, nothing too crazy though. Should I be concerned about rotting/smell because of the carpet being wet?

Know any methods/products I can use to prevent that?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Personally I would not trust KIA to handle Audi service(they should be able to handle the AC drain though). Find a good indie shop and take it there for future repairs.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chickdr
Personally I would not trust KIA to handle Audi service(they should be able to handle the AC drain though). Find a good indie shop and take it there for future repairs.
ah, what about audi service?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

well, just received a call from Kia, and they got the AC drained completed, but the check engine light they said that, it was caused from an air tube.

they said they have to order an air tube and get it installed. Not really sure what that is..

was wondering if anyone knew what that was and if its serious?

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Beecatdog
well, just received a call from Kia, and they got the AC drained completed, but the check engine light they said that, it was caused from an air tube.

they said they have to order an air tube and get it installed. Not really sure what that is..

was wondering if anyone knew what that was and if its serious?

Thanks.
If I had to guess it's the tube going to the air filter? Doesn't sound serious, could have been cracked or otherwise damaged for some reason, perhaps. There are various things that Audi calls an "air tube" including the air tubes that distribute air for the climate control system, and the air tubes for the adaptive air suspension, but neither of those two would throw a check engine light.

This guy had a picture on another forum:
http://www.audi-forums.com/private-w...a4-2004-a.html
Old 08-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Beecatdog
The leak wasnt too bad but the mat/carpet did get wet, nothing too crazy though. Should I be concerned about rotting/smell because of the carpet being wet?

Know any methods/products I can use to prevent that?

Thanks.
If it dried out properly, it should be fine most of the time, but you should check it out. The sunroof leak is probably more likely to cause problems from being wet, if I had to guess, because I know that in some cases dealers were replacing the carpet.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 Leak