Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Q7 Tailgate wont open

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q7 Tailgate wont open

Pls help!!!!!

I have recently bought my Audi Q7 from USA and i am on the other side of the world where has no Audi dealers in my area but only Volkswagen dealer. I am facing a problem with my tailgate where it doesn't open all the way up but only till not even half way, so i have brought my car to the volkswagen dealer to get it diagnosed with their computer system and they said there is nothing faulty about the motor that lift it and they did reset the opening position to open all the way up and right after its set the tailgate works just fine but about after 20min or so it goes back to normal and wont open again. I have tried to reset the door manually as they suggest to do so by lifting the door to my desired height and press the closing button for 4sec whatever, but it doesn't do anything. Now i have no idea what to do please please help,
Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ask them to check if there is a recall on your truck. There is one recall about the rear hatch struts that might fail, maybe they are starting to be weak. What year is your Q7 by the way?
Old 08-15-2013, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

anyone have the link or info on the strut recall?

Mine won't open all the way either but it started like bayansans but now is consistent and does not open with the button.

The dealer said they have never seen anything like it and their diagnosis they thought was to replace the motors ( i think that is all they came up with). Of course they don't know which motor so said to replace they pair at a cost of $1400.

Talked to a mercedes mechanic and he sure thought it would be the struts failing before those motors so interested if there is indeed a recall somewhere
Old 08-16-2013, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...TG3KKJGF23Z75J

Hope it helps!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mine is 2008, and i still haven't found any solution to it yet! i dont know whats going on with that tailgate but its acting differently every time i try to open it, so one time it opens halfway and when you press the close button it opens the tailgate all the up but another times it wont even open at all, and some time it releases the lock but locks back in right away! TAILGATE GOING MAD!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bozack
anyone have the link or info on the strut recall?

Mine won't open all the way either but it started like bayansans but now is consistent and does not open with the button.

The dealer said they have never seen anything like it and their diagnosis they thought was to replace the motors ( i think that is all they came up with). Of course they don't know which motor so said to replace they pair at a cost of $1400.

Talked to a mercedes mechanic and he sure thought it would be the struts failing before those motors so interested if there is indeed a recall somewhere
bozack if you came cross any update or got your tailgate fixed please do updated here, It seems that we have a similar problem
Old 08-28-2013, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a related problem to the tailgate. Just bought a 2008 3.6L Premium Q7 and my tailgate operates fine via the key fob or via the button by the driver's seat. However, it does not work from the outside. Any ideas what causes this or how much it would be to fix?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Tailgate Problem Fixed Itself!

Originally Posted by fmladineo
I have a related problem to the tailgate. Just bought a 2008 3.6L Premium Q7 and my tailgate operates fine via the key fob or via the button by the driver's seat. However, it does not work from the outside. Any ideas what causes this or how much it would be to fix?
Not sure what changed, but the tailgate now works just fine. Pleasant surprise...now if only the bulbs didn't start burning out...
Old 09-20-2013, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It turns out that it was because valet mode was turned on. Didn't realize this would disable the tailgate from the outside.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Tailgate lifts 2 inches then slams shut

Hello,

I believe our 2008 Q7 is showing the problems from the TSB. However, even if you really push the tailgate up(emulating working struts), the motor is always trying to close it. Does anyone have any info on how the system detects the tailgate is at the selected height? I believe this aspect is not working on our car as it is always trying to close the tailgate.

I'm aware how to set the height but it never gets past 2 inches on it's own even if forced to the top and reset.

Quick Reply: Audi Q7 Tailgate wont open