Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Transfer Case

In December I bought a Audi Q7 2007 model, registered in August 2006. Basically I purchased the car privately in good faith, with a clause upon purchase that I will get the car serviced 120 000km (approx 75,000 miles) and if anything was discovered during the complete check of the car the previous owner will pay half the costs. The car had went through the service in early February at a recognised Audi dealership. The service technician clearly informs his mechanics to perform the service and completed check out the car as it was a new purchase. 5 minor items were identified, all of which are nothing to complain about. Two weeks ago noise was started to be emitted from underside of the car. I checked the drive shafts etc and came to the conclusion it was coming from the Transfer case (the item which distributes the torque from the gearbox to the front & wheel wheels). As I do not have very much confidence with the Audi garage that performed the service, I took it to another Audi approved garage. They now say the transfer case/box needs replacing due to wear. No oil was found inside, and I am told it needs replacing.
I am further informed this transfer case never needs any maintenance as this is a Maintenance-free lifetime lubricated gearbox.
Can someone offer me some advice on where I stand?
The following users liked this post:
Salcidomd (01-31-2023)
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonnywill
In December I bought a Audi Q7 2007 model, registered in August 2006. Basically I purchased the car privately in good faith, with a clause upon purchase that I will get the car serviced 120 000km (approx 75,000 miles) and if anything was discovered during the complete check of the car the previous owner will pay half the costs. The car had went through the service in early February at a recognised Audi dealership. The service technician clearly informs his mechanics to perform the service and completed check out the car as it was a new purchase. 5 minor items were identified, all of which are nothing to complain about. Two weeks ago noise was started to be emitted from underside of the car. I checked the drive shafts etc and came to the conclusion it was coming from the Transfer case (the item which distributes the torque from the gearbox to the front & wheel wheels). As I do not have very much confidence with the Audi garage that performed the service, I took it to another Audi approved garage. They now say the transfer case/box needs replacing due to wear. No oil was found inside, and I am told it needs replacing.
I am further informed this transfer case never needs any maintenance as this is a Maintenance-free lifetime lubricated gearbox.
Can someone offer me some advice on where I stand?
First off let me say sorry about your issue. That sounds like it will cost a pretty penny to repair. Have you spoken with the seller yet? It sounds like this issue should be a 50:50 split with them. Also, you could try asking AoA for a goodwill gesture since this is a lifetime part(maybe provide free labor, or a free transfer case). I have not heard of other Q7's with this issue before and I can't believe the case wouldn't be designed to last more than 75K.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

firstly thanks for your reply. I have spoken with two audi garages. The one which performed the service; which stipulated in the service check to "perform a complete check of the car". The technician noted and checked everything, I mean he even highlighted a light bulb which needs replacing under the passenger seat, too scratches down by the light!
The second audi garage is naturally willing to replace the transfer case at a nice price; $2500 transfer case, + >$1100 labor, but they state I should go back to the garage who performed the check of the car, which I did. I spoke with the servicing garage yesterday. Oringinally they accepted a mistake in not checking the oil in the gearbox & transfer case but then they back tracked when they realised what they were saying. I now have to take it up with Central Audi customer services..
With respect to the transfer case, your right they parts never seem to fail. I have checked everywhere for error reports and these parts are generally life time. I must note however the Trasnfer case is not on any service check, but as it's a mechanical part IT MUST be worth replacing the oil from time to time. In my instance, I had no oil in the transfer case, No leak was spotted so where did it all go!
Old 03-12-2011, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What country are you located in? I assume it is not the USA?
Old 03-12-2011, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A noise? Is it intermittent or constant? I get a noise from time to time that changes with speed, high pitched, sounds like it is coming from the transmission tunnel, is audible from outside the vehicle, stops when the vehicle comes to a complete stop and doesn't restart until the next random time.

Here is the funny part... my old Touareg did the same thing.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default transfer case

@chickdr. assumption is correct. I’m in Europe
@MarkItZero. The Toureg was the first vehicle to be fitted with BorgWarner transfer case. these proved successful so they fitted them to the Audi Q7. But these should be Quiet, mine was not!
http://www.borgwarner.com/en/Drivetr...sfer-Case.aspx

BorgWarner's all- wheel drive transfer case system will be standard on the new Audi Q7, a luxury performance SUV scheduled to debut in 2006. "BorgWarner TorqTransfer Systems is delighted to add Audi to the list of valued customers who benefit from our advanced technology, quality, and creative solutions to all-wheel drive challenges," said Cindy Niekamp, President and General Manager, BorgWarner TorqTransfer Systems. "We are proud to bring BorgWarner's leadership in all-wheel drive to the owners of this distinctive vehicle." The BorgWarner all-wheel drive transfer case system on the Q7 enhances vehicle handling and fuel efficiency. A BorgWarner Morse TEC Hy-Vo(R) chain provides quiet all-wheel drive operation. System production will begin during the fourth quarter of this year at BorgWarner TorqTransfer Systems in Margam, Wales. The facility also manufactures synchronizers and four-wheel drive systems for other customers. Representatives of Audi, the Welsh assembly governmentThe Welsh Assembly Government (WAG) (Welsh: Llywodraeth Cynulliad Cymru, LlCC) was firstly an executive body of the National Assembly for Wales, consisting of the First Minister and his Cabinet from 1999 to 2007.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Transfer Case Oil Level Is Lower

I have 07 Q7 3.6 with 69.2k Miles. It has vibrating or resonance noise from front driver side. different speed generates different pitch/sound. I guest it is front wheel bearing. I tested it by only lifting this wheel away from ground, and applied the parking break, with engine at idle, I didn't hear any obvious sound from the wheel hub while it was turing.... I sent it to Audi Dealer, they said, it is Transfer Case issue, needs to be replaced. I then have the Oil replaced by myself yesterday, the oil is dark can not be seen through, I only got about 720 ml out and pumped ~990ml oil in. The drain and fill plugs look like have never been removed, so the it is original oil:-( Sfter changed the oil, i still could hear the noise.... Next step, I will try to replace front wheel bearing. I have searched on line but with no one post the DIY. One thing i'm sure it comes with pressed bearing so needs to use bearing tool to extract out and pushed in. If you have done this please share your experience.
Old 01-31-2023, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I know this is an old post, but I also have this issue and have heard everything from "change the oil" to a "Streched chain" i am going to replace it with a Salvage yard unit while i rebuild the original T-Case did anyone Solve this issue?
Old 01-31-2023, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I know this is an old post, but I also have this issue and have heard everything from "change the oil" to a "Streched chain" i am going to replace it with a Salvage yard unit while i rebuild the original T-Case did anyone Solve this issue?

2007 3.6 quattro 180,000 miles 20 inch factory Wheels
Old 01-31-2023, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 248 Likes on 212 Posts

Sounds like a good plan, Sal. The thing with those transfer cases is that they really don't have "lifetime" fluids. Replacing the fluid every 80,000 kilometers is just good practice. Plus, it is not uncommon at all for them to develop leaks, particularly around the output shaft, and it can go unnoticed because of multiple things: 1., location (it's not anywhere near the rest of the drivetrain items); 2., quantity (the whole case holds less than a liter of fluid); and 3., the assumption of lifetime fluid (e.g., if you don't have it in your list of things to monitor, it could slowly leak dry and you'd never know until you start hearing noise).

Once they start making noise, there's not really any going back - a replacement or rebuild is in the future. Replacing the fluid and adding friction modifiers can help, but it's only buying time.

Quick Reply: Audi Transfer Case