Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Auxiliary Driving Lights Installed

Old 04-03-2017, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Auxiliary Driving Lights Installed

Recently installed a 160W LED light bar under the front license plate, and two 6.5" 36W LED Bars behind the grille. The light output for night time mountain driving is amazing. It makes watching out for moose much easier

The following users liked this post:
lagNCQ7 (07-09-2019)
Old 04-04-2017, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In curious to know on the 6.4" lights how did you mount the silver "L" bracket to the frame of the Q7?
Old 04-04-2017, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by arp2nr
In curious to know on the 6.4" lights how did you mount the silver "L" bracket to the frame of the Q7?
On the 'frame' there's two places where there's indents, and all you have to do is drill a hole and put a bolt through the hole to hold the bracket.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 248 Likes on 212 Posts

Looks great! I think the lighting on this car is quite sufficient on its own, but I do like the subtle appearance of your install, and there is no doubt that the extra lumens are helpful for spotting those hulks!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by -Wes-
Looks great! I think the lighting on this car is quite sufficient on its own, but I do like the subtle appearance of your install, and there is no doubt that the extra lumens are helpful for spotting those hulks!
I completly agree with you. The Q7 does have great headlights compared to other vehicles. I see you're from Fairbanks, "Moose Lights" are pretty common there?
Old 04-07-2017, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by D3Audi
I completly agree with you. The Q7 does have great headlights compared to other vehicles. I see you're from Fairbanks, "Moose Lights" are pretty common there?
Yes, they are! I used to put them on all my vehicles, but haven't found it necessary on the last couple (2010 Subaru Forester and the Q7). A setup like that might convince me to change my mind on the Q7, though.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by -Wes-
Yes, they are! I used to put them on all my vehicles, but haven't found it necessary on the last couple (2010 Subaru Forester and the Q7). A setup like that might convince me to change my mind on the Q7, though.
What year is your Q7? I highly recomend it. I live in the mountains so it's nice to have the extra light to watch for wildlife if I need it. I have mine wired to a switch, so the Q7's headlights function as normal otherwise. (High/Low Beam) The install was super easy. Although I'm going to swap for a 20" curved light bar soon, I think it'll fit the curvature of the grille better. I'm looking at a 540W bar on eBay, I wonder if the Q7 could handle that. I currently only have a 160W light bar. Lol
Old 04-07-2017, 09:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine is a 2014. I'm holding off on any extra investments in it for right now until the settlement, well, settles out! If I still have it after that, then game on.

I always wired my auxiliary lights into the high beams so they would operate in time, but they also had a separate toggle switch. I don't think a 540W bar would be any issue for the electrical system - just as long as you wire it appropriately so that no existing lines are handling the added draw!
Old 04-08-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh jeez, good luck with the settlement. How does the TDI do in the Alaska winter?

I think I might wire them to my high beams, all I would have to do is connect the switch wire to the high beam solenoid wire instead of a switch. It would make using the light a lot easier becuase the switch isn't very intuitive.

Call me crazy but I think next winter I'm going to purchase a set of NBB 225 aux lights from Sweden, I think I like the look lol. I found this pic on the web:

Old 04-08-2017, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have not had any issues with it yet, but it also has not seen any extreme cold. -20F is the coldest starting temperature it's seen, and I haven't operated it in anything colder than about -30F. I am going to look into installing a circulating block heater in it before next winter rolls in because it takes next to forever to warm up.

I'll bite on that suggestion.... You're crazy! Those lights are far too bulky to install on such a sleek and elegant vehicle. Stick with the subtle-yet-powerful look!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auxiliary Driving Lights Installed