Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Best Replacement Brake Pads for 2015 Q7?

Old 08-31-2017, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 565 Likes on 447 Posts

take one of the old sensors, cut it off, short it together and use it on each side at a time til you find which one is giving him a problem.. then inspect and replace if needed, might not be plugged in all the way, need contacts cleaned, broken.. who knows, but the fault does not need cleared, it will go away when all sensors are operable.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the help!!
Old 08-31-2017, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by sigerrh
I apologize for asking so many questions, But I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly and convey this to the mechanic. You described that you cut and tied the wires, but wouldn't replacing the sensors resolve the issue? Again thank you very much.
Yes. If the sensors are good and are plugged in fully.
I also suggest you take an old one and make a tester by shorting it and trying it in each position. You can also check continuity in each of the new sensors with a VOM. I would suspect that the problem lies with the connector rather than the sensor itself however.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update, discussed this with mechanic and replaced sensors again. Result...faulty sensor, warning light is off!

Thanks again.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by sigerrh
Update, discussed this with mechanic and replaced sensors again. Result...faulty sensor, warning light is off!

Thanks again.
Bingo!
Old 09-20-2017, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi Vader
I am ready for my second set of brakes (44,000 miles). The last time it was a $2k brake job at the dealer and this time I would like to try something else with less brake dust but at the same time not lose too much braking power. I checked out some of the old threads:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...2905384/page2/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...2897344/page5/

I am trying figure out what is the best ceramic pad?
Just as a follow up to this thread, I ended up buying Zimmerman rotors and I went with stock pads. Purchased through FCP Euro and installed at the dealer. $1k total.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just an update for everyone - I bought the $500 front back kit from Amazon w/ ceramic and drilled/cross slotted rotors. Put them on fairly easily (except you need the torx socket bits).

Put about 4,000 miles on them and no issues at all. No noise, VERY little dust on my bright silver 22" split spokes compared to what was on there before (likely dealer pads from prev owner).

Only thing special I did was mask and spray the inner portion of the rotors with silver ceramic high temp paint - very carefully to avoid getting paint on the braking surface. Looks great and should prevent them from rusting or corroding like many rotors do.

I'll report back after I get more miles on them.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi Vader
I am ready for my second set of brakes (44,000 miles). The last time it was a $2k brake job at the dealer and this time I would like to try something else with less brake dust but at the same time not lose too much braking power. I checked out some of the old threads:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...2905384/page2/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...2897344/page5/

I am trying figure out what is the best ceramic pad?
To provide an update, I ended up buying Zimmerman rotors and stock pads. Unfortunately, the rotors warped after a couple weeks and were replaced stock OEM rotors. Aside from being an expensive mistake, the braking performance was not as the good stock rotors. My recommendation, stick with stock brake pads and rotors for best performance (even though it is expensive and dusty).
Old 12-30-2017, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Porterfield R4S pads are a great upgrade. They have much better performance when the brakes are expected to perform on hills, towing or "spirited" driving
Old 01-09-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Is it just me, or does Akebono not produce pads for the Q7?

I couldn't find the drop down selection for "Q7" through their online site: Akebono Online Parts Catalog

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best Replacement Brake Pads for 2015 Q7?