Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

BG 245

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default BG 245

My 2015 Q7 3.0 TDI has a total of 57k on the clock, of which 5k miles of that is since the VW diesel "fix". Because of the +$10k cash payment from Bosch and VW, I have been pretty much accepting of the less than stellar performance of the engine since the "fix"; but have been especially annoyed with the less than fully warmed up erratic shifting behavior as well as the throttle delay when quick acceleration is needed.

Recently, I read an article that was specific to the MB common rail v6 diesel engine where the author recommended the use of BG 245 Diesel Fuel System Cleaner to clean out fuel system deposits. Since the Audi 3.0 TDI is also a common rail v6 diesel, I thought I'd give it a try. I added one can of BG 245 per 15 gallons of diesel fuel and have been driving it since - both around town and on the highway.

It may be the Placebo Effect, but the engine seems to run more smoothly with more power, the less than warmed up erratic shifting behavior appears to have disappeared and the throttle delay on acceleration has also diminished. It's almost like I have my original new engine and drive train back under the hood.

As said, this might just be the Placebo Effect, and I'm still driving with treated fuel in the tank. If this continues remains to be seen when I next fill with fuel and the BG 245 additive is no longer there. I'll report back when I'm on my next tank of fuel.

In the mean time, the car seems to be a much nicer drive.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 09-04-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Ive been using Diesel Additives irregularly for years now w/my TDI's, I try to dose tanks when I'm towing mostly, got a bunch of little bottles I can fill pre-measured and store on an external tool box on trailer so they dont stink up my ride.. I started doing it for HPFP protection but have noticed the vehicle runs better, fuel economy gets better, and power feels better.. its not all placebo, tho im sure a little bit is.. its hard not to spend extra money for something supposedly better and not feel it.

The Diesel we get in North America is quite poor compared to what our European brothers and sisters have access too.. Except for California, they have access to Propel HPR Diesel which I understand is the best in the country, but comes at a premium price too.. We just pump em into inefficent trucks and boats and dont have a market of high performance diesel engines on the road here like they do in other countries.. but then again we dont pay the fuel prices other countries have to pay that drives that kind of market either.

In short our highly computerized engines adapt to our poor american diesel and as a result we get worse performance, so fuel additives tend to have more impact than they would otherwise.. I doubt they do as much for a Detroit Diesel made to run off this fuel, but German Diesels sure do love higher quality fuel..

Last edited by dreadlocks; 09-04-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys are scaring me away from a TDI... but can an additive help with kick-down?
Old 09-07-2018, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got the same shifting with my Q7, from the last maintenance it even got worsen because i had a clogged DPF, but the additives are just temporary after you fill the next tank it will returns the same, but from my experience a high quality diesel fuel can make a difference, this shifting behavior will not disappear but it makes it smoother.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default BG 245

I added two cans of BG 245 to a full tank of diesel and the stuttering was all cleaned up. I hope it lasts and is not just good for a tank. i will be driving this weekend for 500 mile round trip snowmobile trip and will report back.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

One of the professional Indy Sprinter mechanics on the Sprinter Forum says that a can of BG-245 is part of his regular 10,000 mile service. Helps to keep the EGR valve clean and functioning properly.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

BG makes nice products
Old 02-16-2019, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default BG 245

Originally Posted by porsche man
I added two cans of BG 245 to a full tank of diesel and the stuttering was all cleaned up. I hope it lasts and is not just good for a tank. i will be driving this weekend for 500 mile round trip snowmobile trip and will report back.
Three or four tanks of fuel over 750 miles and everything is great. Will make the use of BG 245 part of my routine.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 881 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche man
Three or four tanks of fuel over 750 miles and everything is great. Will make the use of BG 245 part of my routine.
I will have to check and see if it is sold locally. Otherwise I guess I will have to get it online.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ordered mine from ebay, two cans for 19.95. Also sold at Audi or Volkswagen dealers for a lot more.

Quick Reply: BG 245