Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

BMW X6 better on ice than Audi Q7? Is this real?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW X6 better on ice than Audi Q7? Is this real?

Old 12-17-2017, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BMW X6 gets stuck on wet grass
Old 12-17-2017, 06:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I cannot speak for the BMW X6 but I can for the Q7. Two years ago I gave our '09 Q7 TDI a drive on the ice. It was frightening to say the least. I pulled out of my driveway and literally slid down the small hill on my street -- ran the stop sign all with no brakes and made a left hand turn - otherwise I would have ended up in the neighbors front yard. Encountered a few more icy patches and literally began panicking because I knew that this car just wasn't meant to be in these kinds of conditions. My Volvo XC70 would have handled this like a champ without chains or studded tires. Getting home, I basically said some prayers and took the alley across from my driveway to avoid the small hill and shot straight onto my shoveled driveway. Last year we had horrendous snow and ice. I refused to drive my Q7 in it. We took the A4 instead. FYI I grew up in New England...but ice in the Pacific Northwest is another story.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ7Lady
I cannot speak for the BMW X6 but I can for the Q7. Two years ago I gave our '09 Q7 TDI a drive on the ice. It was frightening to say the least. I pulled out of my driveway and literally slid down the small hill on my street -- ran the stop sign all with no brakes and made a left hand turn - otherwise I would have ended up in the neighbors front yard. Encountered a few more icy patches and literally began panicking because I knew that this car just wasn't meant to be in these kinds of conditions. My Volvo XC70 would have handled this like a champ without chains or studded tires. Getting home, I basically said some prayers and took the alley across from my driveway to avoid the small hill and shot straight onto my shoveled driveway. Last year we had horrendous snow and ice. I refused to drive my Q7 in it. We took the A4 instead. FYI I grew up in New England...but ice in the Pacific Northwest is another story.
Sounds like a tire problem. AWD makes no difference going down a hill.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Old 12-17-2017, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
I agree about the tires but think the AWD can make a difference going down hill. 4-wheel engine braking on a slippery downhill can make the difference between losing and not losing traction.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That depends on the 4wd system in place.

Haldex is of no benefit at all as it only works for traction under power and will not effectively link all four wheels on over-run. The Torsen based system used on all non-transvere 4 wheel drive VAG vehicles is fully mechanical so yes, it does help both down and up hill.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

most of these versus videos are just click bait.you'll just see a bunch of random clips put together from other youtube sources.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Edd W
That depends on the 4wd system in place.

Haldex is of no benefit at all as it only works for traction under power and will not effectively link all four wheels on over-run. The Torsen based system used on all non-transvere 4 wheel drive VAG vehicles is fully mechanical so yes, it does help both down and up hill.
Agreed. I was just trying to keep my post simple. I've been driving a urS4 over mountain passes for the last 17 years and love the secure feeling of the 4-wheel engine braking going downhill on the slippery stuff. I haven't had the Q7 on ice or snow yet and am frankly insecure how it will do, even though there are official snowflake tires on it. I was trying to avoid buying another Audi, but after studying all of the other mickey-mouse AWD systems used in large SUVs, Audi was all that was left on my short list. Compared to the urS4 I lose the rear diff lock. I'm hoping the EDL will be a reasonable substitute for that.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Touareg is a good alternative.

It is basically a short wheelbase Q7 and some have a diff locks and manual low-range selection that the Q7 has never had. Virtually all the running gear is the same across both cars and of course, is the Cayenne.

Quick Reply: BMW X6 better on ice than Audi Q7? Is this real?