Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Brake Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Brake Noise?

When we first bought the Q7 (used) we noticed after a week or so that if you slowly roll that there is a noise that sounds like the brake pads or something is rubbing while not on the brakes (if you are on the brakes, you hear nothing). We have been to the dealership 3x for this issue. First time they "adjusted" the parking brake and it stopped for a few months. Second time they replaced the brake pads on the front and it stopped for a few months. Third time they replaced the brake pads on the rear and same story. Its back now and its really driving me crazy. Between this issue and the AC that I posted about, I would never buy another Audi again.

This doesnt happen all the time, just sometimes.

Last edited by Chrisw83; 12-09-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Brake Noise.

This sounds like the rear (electronic parking brake). The noise is audiable when on the road during normal driving. The way that these brakes work is through a spring tensioned shoe, which contacts the inside of the rear if the brake rotors (disks) when the foot activated parking brake is applied. With many modern vehicles using this system including comercial vehicles( when correctly set-up) the tolerances are so small that when the brake is correctly set-up the brake ‘shoe’ must have a (very)slight amount if drag on the rear disks, even when the brake is off. This is how the ststem*should* be set up. When the disk rotors have been replaced you could end up hearing the noise as they bed in. Also it is worth noting that with aftermarket disks the tolerances might be different: therefore the noise might first present after a brake service. Dealership can adjust the level of Contact that the brake has for you, or you can do it yourself with the wheels off and a screwdriver, although this should technically be done using the parking brake release/ reset and test functions in the VAGCOM interface. If the vehicle is under warranty the dealership might investigate for you. You can watch videos on Youtube showing how to do the parking brake adjustment yourself and many workshop mechanics do exactly this. Getting the adjustment right manually, is about tensioning the adjustment screw to give exactly the right amount of contact on the rear rotor (needed for effective braking force and to pass the MOT).
Old 12-11-2018, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Wait. A 2013 Q7 does not have an electronic parking brake. Manual foot pedal. Probably not the problem. I would ask the dealer to check wheel bearings next. Don’t give up. Overall these are very reliable vehicles.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

On most cars parking brakes self adjust every time you backup and hit the brake.
You could try several backward braking... however who says its the parking brake? you stated 3 different things were changed and it stopped and only 1 of them was parking brakes.
Exactly what does the sound sound like? is it a sort of high pitched metal on metal. or a low rumble metal rub noise?
are you sure the parking brake is disengaged? have you tried engaging it them disengaging it and see if it goes away when its happening?
When does it make the noise when its doing it?
just driving around town? hiway? driving around parking lot?
to me it sounds like dust shield noise but that would be a higher pitched sound.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can only hear it when rolling, not applying brake or much/any gas. The sound is like a metal rub noise.

Going through drive throughs, parking lots at slow speeds is when you hear it the most.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Does it sort of sound like this video at 18seconds-25seconds?

Old 12-14-2018, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisw83
You can only hear it when rolling, not applying brake or much/any gas. The sound is like a metal rub noise.

Going through drive throughs, parking lots at slow speeds is when you hear it the most.
So I find that mine squeals when it stops. Then with forward movement, they sqeek a few rotations at low speed because of hill hold assist (HHA).
But it goes away after coming to traffic speed. Does that sound about right?

Now, it was advised, since I use wheel cleaner that cleans everything including discs, they should be Burnished again (process below), which I have found works, until I clean the wheels again, or certain wet driving, sometimes dry, but way less than normal.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Brake Pad Burnishing
Vehicle Involved: Severe Duty applications, such as police service or before track testing
Condition: After replacing brake pads
Repair Procedure: When replacing brake pads, a “break-in” or “burnishing” procedure is recommended to properly condition both the brake pads and brake rotors for best service and long life.
The burnish process, if done correctly, does at least three things to the pads and/or the rotor:
1. Physically and thermally converts the composition of the pad and/or rotor surfaces.
2. Smoothes the asperities (roughness, unevenness) of the mating surfaces.
3. Heat cycles the entire pad structure.For anticipated severe duty, such as police service, or before track testing, a more intensive burnish procedure should be performed.
This recommended procedure is:
• 8 moderate brake applications from 40 to 10 mph at approximately ¼-mile intervals.
• 8 somewhat harder brake applications from 60 to 10 mph at approximately ½-mile intervals.
• Drive 1.5 miles
• * 5 hard (but less than ABS) applications from 80 to 20 mph at 3/4-mile intervals. Drive at least two miles after last application.
• Allow brakes to cool at least 15 minutes either by parking the vehicle or continuing to drive at moderate speeds with minimal brake applications.*If practical. If not, repeat the 60 to 10 mph section.
The brake friction materials and rotors are now ready for service.Notes:
1. The “hard” applications do not need to be at precise deceleration rates as the amount of energy dissipated will be the same.
2. Some odor and smoke from the brakes is normal during and after the 60 and 80 mph sections.
3. Even after completion of this procedure some fade, odor, and smoke may occur initially if the vehicle is immediately subjected to hard high speed braking.
Old 03-03-2023, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chrisw83
When we first bought the Q7 (used) we noticed after a week or so that if you slowly roll that there is a noise that sounds like the brake pads or something is rubbing while not on the brakes (if you are on the brakes, you hear nothing). We have been to the dealership 3x for this issue. First time they "adjusted" the parking brake and it stopped for a few months. Second time they replaced the brake pads on the front and it stopped for a few months. Third time they replaced the brake pads on the rear and same story. Its back now and its really driving me crazy. Between this issue and the AC that I posted about, I would never buy another Audi again.

This doesnt happen all the time, just sometimes.
Hi just want wondering if you managed to fix the noise on your Q7?
Old 03-03-2023, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 10rich380
Hi just want wondering if you managed to fix the noise on your Q7?
Not really, what I have been doing is once the noise starts happening again I will take out each pad, clean everything, apply more grease and the noise will go away for a while. It has always came back regardless of pads and rotors I have tried.
The following users liked this post:
10rich380 (03-03-2023)
Old 03-03-2023, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the problem is the front right caliper piston.
Usually such noise indicates one (or more) brake pad(s) isn't moving completely away from the rotor when brake pressure is removed.

My car is making same noise after the brake fluid service, I’m bringing it back to next week to Audi.
The following users liked this post:
Chrisw83 (03-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Brake Noise?