Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Brakes/Rotors - What are the options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes/Rotors - What are the options?

Hello All, I have a 2012 Q7 TDI premium plus. I'm curious to find out if it's totally fine to install rotors and brake pads other than the genuine Audi products and if yes what brands works best or maybe even better. I'm thinking brands like Pagid, Textar, ATE, Raybestos??? Also what about the slotted and drilled rotor options that are out there? Okay or stay far away? I'm looking at brakes and rotors from sites like FCP EURO and rockauto. In most cases the other brands cost less however I don't want compromise the driving experience one bit because I didn't go with OE.

Does anyone have good advice on this? Is it fine to go outside genuine Audi for brakes and rotors? Or, maybe just on the brakes but not the rotors? Or, maybe just on the rotors but not the brakes? Or neither, always install genuine Audi parts for brakes and rotors?

I've owned mainly Mercedes previously and decided to go outside of genuine Mercedes for brakes and rotors and did not like the how the car responded even though it was supposed to be matching or better than OE.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

you've got high performance brakes from the factory, its easier to make it worse than it is to improve on it... I personally just put OEM back on because I was satisfied with em and IMO thats the best.. there's some budget stuff out there thats pretty darn close to OEM like Zimmerman Rotors but they are not really an improvement over OEM.. You'd have to pay significantly for something that actually improves upon OEM Performance and does not just match it.

If your concerned, put OEM back on and take the happy path.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

The Zimmerman are nice since they're coated (the hats don't rust) and not outrageously priced. Make sure to replace all the associated equipment with the pads and rotors.
The following users liked this post:
meausoc (02-03-2020)
Old 04-10-2019, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote for OEM here. If you buy from FCP Euro you can send back the work pads and rotors and they will refund you the price. I just did a pad change and am kicking myself for not ordering from them before. I did order rotors though. So next year when I change my pads again (I drive a lot) I'll get most of my costs back.
meausoc (02-03-2020)
Old 04-10-2019, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks, I'm gonna go with OE for the rotors and OEM ceramic brake pads to reduce the brake dust if I can.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Good point on the FCP Euro refund, that's a really good deal.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by phaudi007
Thanks, I'm gonna go with OE for the rotors and OEM ceramic brake pads to reduce the brake dust if I can.
Ceramic pads will ruin your braking performance.. you have two options to choose from: low dust and poor stopping capability.. or high dust and great stopping capability.

AFIK there are no "OEM Ceramics", OEM spec is all semi-metallic..
Old 04-10-2019, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks, it looks like OEM semi-metallic is my best bet. I will need to get use to cleaning the wheels every three or four days.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've installed aftermarket brake pads and rotors on my 2013 Q7 and have had nothing but problems. When braking, the car constantly squeaks. I had them changed twice to aftermarket, but the squeaks don't go away. I plan to switch back to OEM soon.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

OEM will still squeak too if you dont keep em clean, buy this and thank me later:
Amazon Amazon
meausoc (02-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Brakes/Rotors - What are the options?