Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Buy Back - Lemon Law advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 06:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Buy Back - Lemon Law advice

If you have experience getting Audi (or anyone else) to buy back you car, I'm looking for advice.

1. Did you have to go through arbitration or get AOA to do it without?

2. Did you hire a lawyer or deal directly with Audi?

3. Anyone try the BBB Auto group to file and arbitrate for them?

Any other advice would be helpful.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by arU4ic
If you have experience getting Audi (or anyone else) to buy back you car, I'm looking for advice.

Lemon laws are a state issue. Do a Google on Lemon Law and your state.

I started the process in Georgia on a Porsche Cayenne. The State of Georgia has a whole website devoted to the process. Even though the state's website has a complete step by step DIY, I was strongly advised to get a lawyer if it came down to really butting heads.

Luckily, it didn't have to go that far. After the initial Lemon Law advisement to PCNA, they stepped right up and addressed the problem.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ask AOA for a buy back first? Once Lemon Law case is opened I think they lose the option. See Ductman,s recent case in Q5 forum.

I have been researching your fuel problem. You are not the first and this exact problem also occurs in other Audi models. The Q7 fuel tank is a saddle type configuration with two chambers. Fuel is pumped accross either way to balance. It is possible to get a correct reading of 1/4 tank from one side while the pick-up runs dry in the other side due to imbalance caused by sensor fail or balance pump fail. IE it can pump all the fuel to one side or fail to balance.
Service reset by pulling fuse, turn on ignition then switching off re-inserting fuse and turning ign back on can fix the problem but does not treat the cause.
It must be so frustrating to be stopped in your tracks by such a simple fail. The obvious solution for you is just replace the whole fuel tank and then Audi AG could examine the old one at their leisure.
I am still reading up on old cases. It seems possible for air to enter transfer system through badly fitting connectors when fuel level is low causing temporary empty messages. I have to say this is speculation based on other bits of internet info A8 and A4.
Name:  Q7fueltank.jpg
Views: 1922
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  insideQ7Fueltank.jpg
Views: 2504
Size:  61.5 KB

Last edited by Jusforfun; 05-23-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Ask AOA for a buy back first? Once Lemon Law case is opened I think they lose the option. See Ductman,s recent case in Q5 forum.
That probably depends upon the individual state Lemon Law. In Georgia, they can buy it back at any time during the proceedings.

My Lemon Law case against Porsche Cars NA was opened, and I took the first step in the process. When PCNA stepped up to the plate and addressed the issue, it was no longer necessary to proceed further.

At any point in the process they could have offered to buy it back; and in Georgia there is an exact formula for the buy back amount based on the selling price and the mileage where the problem was first addressed.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I have been researching your fuel problem. You are not the first and this exact problem also occurs in other Audi models. The Q7 fuel tank is a saddle type configuration with two chambers. Fuel is pumped accross either way to balance. It is possible to get a correct reading of 1/4 tank from one side while the pick-up runs dry in the other side due to imbalance caused by sensor fail or balance pump fail. IE it can pump all the fuel to one side or fail to balance.
Service reset by pulling fuse, turn on ignition then switching off re-inserting fuse and turning ign back on can fix the problem but does not treat the cause.
It must be so frustrating to be stopped in your tracks by such a simple fail. The obvious solution for you is just replace the whole fuel tank and then Audi AG could examine the old one at their leisure.
I am still reading up on old cases. It seems possible for air to enter transfer system through badly fitting connectors when fuel level is low causing temporary empty messages. I have to say this is speculation based on other bits of internet info A8 and A4.

This is great. I never knew the tank had two chambers (Although it explains how they fit 26 gallons), this perfectly explains the "run out of gas feel" yet it starts at some random point later.

If they can't get this after 5 times, and three different technicians, and one engineer from AOA I can't imagine that they did not think of this, but I will talk to the service manager and see what he says.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
That probably depends upon the individual state Lemon Law. In Georgia, they can buy it back at any time during the proceedings.

My Lemon Law case against Porsche Cars NA was opened, and I took the first step in the process. When PCNA stepped up to the plate and addressed the issue, it was no longer necessary to proceed further.

At any point in the process they could have offered to buy it back; and in Georgia there is an exact formula for the buy back amount based on the selling price and the mileage where the problem was first addressed.
This is good info, and sounds similar to CA. I really want to keep lawyers out of this and I don't want to pay anyone to convince AOA to do the right thing. 5 attempts on a stalling problem seems like a clear-cut case, especially given that I have a wife and child of 2 being stranded twice now and the car being towed in 3 times. Hopefully AOA

I will try going directly to Audi first before I engage any third party.

Thanks for the Q5 post, I'll check it out.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lemon law depends on your state, in Pa it is 30 calendar days or 3 times for the same issue , I had over 60 calendar days, I originally asked for a replacement after 30 days but I was refused, I finally went with a lemon law attorney ( Audi has to foot the bill ) , didn,t want to go that route but had no choice, attorney then filed for arbitration which is required as the first step in a lemon law suit in some states, the decision at the arbitration is binding on Audi but not on the consumer, if the vehicle is deemed a lemon the title is then branded so, in my case it never made it to arbitration as I would assume after 60 calendar days that Audi would lose and the vehicle would have to have its title branded as a lemon, I was then offered " good will" , it was my choice for either a repurchase or a replacement vehicle, I took the repurchase as AOA could have stepped up to the plate after 30 days and offered me a new vehicle which I would have accepted, I still think Audi's are great cars, I just haven't had the best of luck with them, I had a 2002 A6 and no luck with that either.

Last edited by Ductman; 05-23-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Ductman, this is the info I was looking for. In California, the Lemon Law is far more generous and I **think** I have a pretty open and shut case. I can't imagine that Audi would want to go to arbitration, so I think I am going to avoid a lawyer and try to deal with AOA directly. I Hope that being a customer that has purchased 5 Audis in 10 years will get me decent treatment, but I guess you never know. I would definitely go with a replacement, there is simply no other vehicle I would consider (well, MAYBE a MDX but I haven't test driven one yet).

Thanks again for the info. I am going to publish every step that I take here, as even the german car companies try to cut corners, consumers are going to take it in the [bleep]... everyone should know how to get help without a lawyer.

Stand by and thanks to everyone for the input and help.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemon Buy-back

Originally Posted by arU4ic

Not a law advice but if you having issues with your vehicle and was purchased new I would advise to hire an Lemon Attorney as a way to approach from my experience purchasing a Lemon right out an Audi dealership and have to deal with all the issues never fixed on my vehicle, found out was my biggest mistake never look into the Carfax before hand, my SUV an Q7 Prestige was acting up within days not responding to keyfob, weeks later found my trunk floded with gallons of water followed by failing Amplifier from the water/moisture dealer quoted $2600 to replace it, Audi Corporate fixed free of Charge and gave the blind eye when I pointed out all the issues arising from this purchased been from an Authorized Audi Dealership including not disclosing their lemons properly or using their fancy "VW-Reacquired" instead of "lemon" term...Needless to say had the vehicle for less than two years, Valve cover went bad a $2200 repair..I fixed and got rid at a $10k loss..Good luck with your vehicle.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Drive-American
Not a law advice but if you having issues with your vehicle and was purchased new I would advise to hire an Lemon Attorney as a way to approach from my experience purchasing a Lemon right out an Audi dealership and have to deal with all the issues never fixed on my vehicle, found out was my biggest mistake never look into the Carfax before hand, my SUV an Q7 Prestige was acting up within days not responding to keyfob, weeks later found my trunk floded with gallons of water followed by failing Amplifier from the water/moisture dealer quoted $2600 to replace it, Audi Corporate fixed free of Charge and gave the blind eye when I pointed out all the issues arising from this purchased been from an Authorized Audi Dealership including not disclosing their lemons properly or using their fancy "VW-Reacquired" instead of "lemon" term...Needless to say had the vehicle for less than two years, Valve cover went bad a $2200 repair..I fixed and got rid at a $10k loss..Good luck with your vehicle.
welcome to the forum and well you just responded to a thread that's 8 years old and well outside the statutes associated with lemon-laws. Good advice to do due diligence when purchasing any vehicle, especially a used one: check the car fax, do a PPI (pre-purchase inspection), and trust your gut.

Quick Reply: Buy Back - Lemon Law advice