Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Calling 2007 Q7 Owners: AMI Retrofit Installation (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Newbie question. Are all 07 Q7's NOT ami or mdi enabled from the factory? Is Denison or ami enabling the only option for aux cable?

I've spent some time looking for a port under center console or glove box and can't find any port that some sites speak of.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'07s didn't have an AMI from the factory, it was introduced in the '08s.

The 07s require a new wiring harness to hook up to the existing wiring for signal to the head unit. The install is pretty straight forward and didn't require any wire taping; true plug and play.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Giblet, I like your post and this instruction very much. It will be quite usefull for me because I am going to incorporate AMI into my Q. Thank you!

Does anyone know where it is installed by Audi as factory design? In the center console or glove box? I appriciate pictures of it, it will help me a lot.

Kind Regards
Paul
Old 05-28-2015, 11:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dear,

Are you able to share any picture of the places you had installed it in the car?

Thank you in advance!
Paul
Old 09-22-2022, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Instructions WSK 014 720?

Originally Posted by Stephan16
Can anyone email me the installation instructions WSK 014 720?

Stephan
does anyone have the instructions the could email me .

thanks
Old 09-22-2022, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 699 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by faisalfaisal
does anyone have the instructions the could email me .

thanks
Start reading at the top of thread; if you are not a DIYer that likes to take things apart and has some patience and fine motor skills, this is probably not a project for you.

The early cars didn't have the option for the AMI, which gives you a method to introduce streaming music from an Ipod (originally), and now you can get a phone cable that connects to the AMI interface. On later cars the AMI is located inside the glove box, with the plugin AMI interface plug mounted to the inside at top of the glovebox housing. You can get diff cables for this AMI connector depending on what device you are connecting, but it's only good for music streaming. This is extremely old tech at this point, and you should consider the Dension unit as a hardwire, or perhaps some other aftermarket solutions that don't require you to do any wiring at all, such as the bluetooth to FM modulator devices that allow you to stream music directly into your radio system, etc.

My advice: Find an aftermarket solution to suit your desire to upgrade the car's audio input capabilities, or just buy a newer Q7 with a 3G MMI so you can get a Carplay/Android Auto aftermarket unit for it.
The following users liked this post:
faisalfaisal (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Was just looking for the booklet

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
Start reading at the top of thread; if you are not a DIYer that likes to take things apart and has some patience and fine motor skills, this is probably not a project for you.

The early cars didn't have the option for the AMI, which gives you a method to introduce streaming music from an Ipod (originally), and now you can get a phone cable that connects to the AMI interface. On later cars the AMI is located inside the glove box, with the plugin AMI interface plug mounted to the inside at top of the glovebox housing. You can get diff cables for this AMI connector depending on what device you are connecting, but it's only good for music streaming. This is extremely old tech at this point, and you should consider the Dension unit as a hardwire, or perhaps some other aftermarket solutions that don't require you to do any wiring at all, such as the bluetooth to FM modulator devices that allow you to stream music directly into your radio system, etc.

My advice: Find an aftermarket solution to suit your desire to upgrade the car's audio input capabilities, or just buy a newer Q7 with a 3G MMI so you can get a Carplay/Android Auto aftermarket unit for it.
Hi thanks for your instructions was just looking for the booklet other than that I read the instructions thanks for your advice .