Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Central rear jacking point?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central rear jacking point?

I'm aiming to replace the rear discs and pads on my 2013 Q7 shortly but would like to jack it up onto stands via a single central point. Having a look under the car, I can see a pretty strong looking crossmember near the rear axle, a little bit in front and it looks to have the rear diff supported from it as well?
First pic shows the various chassis members, diff and the central crossmember I am thinking of using, second photo shows it a bit closer up. The lifting point would be the central point with the hole in it, just after the two exhaust pipes.
Any issues with jacking from here? Jack is plenty strong enough, just don't want to cause any damage lifting a heavy car!

Old 03-03-2019, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

yeah thats a hard no, read your manual and use its jacking points (I can see em in first photo).. even the hitch is not appropriate for lifting that much load.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
yeah thats a hard no, read your manual and use its jacking points (I can see em in first photo).. even the hitch is not appropriate for lifting that much load.
Bugger, that's disappointing. Lifting from the lifting points is awkward since the car twists as it is lifted, this puts sideways pressure on the first floor stand when the other side is lifted. Even with wheels chocked, it still moves a little.

So there are no appropriate central lift points then?
Old 03-03-2019, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Ive had mine on 4 stands before, its no big deal.. sounds like you need to take it slower step by step and incrementally raise it, or get wider footprint stands.. I use truck stands that are wide base and rated for high loads, not some cheap wallmart car stands.

there rarely are any central jacking points, especially on vehicles with independent rear suspension, awd and a unibody.. its not like you got an old solid axle hatchback that dont weight anything.. you got a near 6k pound vehicle there, be careful.