Change 21" wheels to 18"?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 off-road

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
haha, okay if you insist

12k miles on this set so far and I cant really see any wear, tons of tread left.. yeah drop down to 18in wheels and put truck rated tires on it instead of passenger tires and the'll last alot longer.. also makes taking curbs and potholes alot easier, ride comfort is dramatically better.. These tires are $700 installed, not rated for >115mph but I really cant see me wanting to drive this faster than that, they are heavy so stop/go mpg got hurt, load ratings and PSI are actually significantly higher than OEM.. still handles very well, perhaps not as good as before but its still very fun to drive and pushing a vehicle with this much weight too hard around corners is asking alot.

keep the OD as close to stock as possible and the OEM spare should still be suitable in an emergency, but the tolerance I think is pretty high.. OEM 21in wheels and 20in wheels have different OD's and for some reason I doubt they provide different size spares.. iirc there are at least two common 18in sizes that fall within OEM OD range.

Last year I get my car through two blizzards before xmas towing a lil trailer, that convinced my self to get a vehicle with awd, clearance and monster tires.. this year, like an inch of snow in october and bone dry since. sigh.. I really wanna go play in the snow but damn mother nature has other ideas..
awesome. New to site. Had my Q7 about a year and I'm about to-do something similar. I thinkmi can do 18s on s line.... And wanna do like some 33 10.50s. Bfg all terrains.... I'm having trouble finding q suits me wheel though. Do you know the factory offset ????
Old 12-14-2017, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

you can totally fit 18's on an S-Line, though I dont know about 33in tires.. TDI Touareg's could only fit 31.5in OD tires before they rubbed on intercooler vents.. If you dont have intercoolers might be able to do 32in but I'd expect rubbing before you get to 33s

Q7's came with OEM 18's in early model years, so did the Cayenne and Touareg, this site should help: OEM VW Touareg and Audi Q7 stock wheel picture gallery database 5x130 lug bolt pattern but note that 17in wheels like I have wont fit newer models with bigger brakes.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

you can totally fit 18's on an S-Line, though I dont know about 33in tires.. TDI Touareg's could only fit 31.5in OD tires before they rubbed on intercooler vents.. If you dont have intercoolers might be able to do 32in but I'd expect rubbing before you get to 33s

Q7's came with OEM 18's in early model years, so did the Cayenne and Touareg, this site should help: OEM VW Touareg and Audi Q7 stock wheel picture gallery database 5x130 lug bolt pattern but note that 17in wheels like I have wont fit newer models with bigger brakes.
that's my bad. I was looking at profile for 295 55. Not 35. Lol. So yea. 31 be perfect if i cld fit.
Old 04-03-2021, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default So sweet!

haha, okay if you insist

12k miles on this set so far and I cant really see any wear, tons of tread left.. yeah drop down to 18in wheels and put truck rated tires on it instead of passenger tires and the'll last alot longer.. also makes taking curbs and potholes alot easier, ride comfort is dramatically better.. These tires are $700 installed, not rated for >115mph but I really cant see me wanting to drive this faster than that, they are heavy so stop/go mpg got hurt, load ratings and PSI are actually significantly higher than OEM.. still handles very well, perhaps not as good as before but its still very fun to drive and pushing a vehicle with this much weight too hard around corners is asking alot.

keep the OD as close to stock as possible and the OEM spare should still be suitable in an emergency, but the tolerance I think is pretty high.. OEM 21in wheels and 20in wheels have different OD's and for some reason I doubt they provide different size spares.. iirc there are at least two common 18in sizes that fall within OEM OD range.

Last year I get my car through two blizzards before xmas towing a lil trailer, that convinced my self to get a vehicle with awd, clearance and monster tires.. this year, like an inch of snow in october and bone dry since. sigh.. I really wanna go play in the snow but damn mother nature has other ideas..
which tires are these?
Old 04-03-2021, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

245/65/17 BFG KO2, nearly 50k miles on em now.. plenty of tread left, lil loud tho.. gonna be going to try wildpeaks next, probably 32s after I lift it a few inches.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Looking for your opinion Dread since I think you have researched tires and rims a bit. All other opinions welcome too. So I Have 275/45 R20 tires on Audi wheels. I want to switch to 18" wheels, but do you think all aftermarket wheels are inferior to the load of the car? I just wanted to click and buy from a site like Tirerack. I am more about function than looks. I want good wheels, so should I be looking for used Audi wheels for sale to get something that will last? I definitely don't want chinesium. lol
Old 04-10-2021, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I very rarely stray outside OEMish, these are Porsche bolt patterns.. should be able to find something in VAG Family.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts

Understood. I will look around. I didn't think much of it until I saw your comment about chinesium turning to dust LOL.
Found on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-Q7-S7-...4AAOSwMz1gUieC

Tirerack 1: https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...r=Premium+Plus

Tirerack 2: https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...r=Premium+Plus

I would like a great deal but will pay for making it easy like from Tirerack. Thank for your input.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

We are 5x130 not 5x112, the only Audi wheels that will fit on a Q7, came on a Q7 originally.. we're the odd ducks here.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 707 Likes on 587 Posts
Default Tires: Caring is Sharing

Originally Posted by Surf40
My daughter has the 2015 Q7 with the factory 21" rims. Like all of you, she gets terrible tire wear, and goes through tires about every 12k miles. She needs to cut back on her expenses, and was thinking of selling the car just because of the tire costs. Is it possible for her to put 18" rims on the car, and would it save her much on tire expenses? I know the 18" tires would be cheaper. Will the 18's last longer than 12k miles? It is worth it or should she just sell the car are get something else?
So I've got two Q7s; both with 20" wheels. Tire wear on both is actually quite good, but there are some clear differences between the two sets. Bought the OE Pirelli Scorpion AS+ (stay away from the verde version), and they are pretty good but tend to 'bang' over bumps rather than absorb, when properly inflated. The other set are Bridgestone Alenza Sport A/S RFT, and perform better in wintry conditions than the Pirelli tires and also ride very well and are quiet too. This is odd since the Bridgestones are run-flat tires, but yes, even with half the tread gone after 25k miles, they still ride significantly better and with less noise than the Pirelli tires, which are new. They are also very affordable to purchase and have excellent tread life and performance. I will be buying the Bridgestone Alenza tires again when this set finally wears out (for both cars), and highly recommend them to all Q7 owners.

Quick Reply: Change 21" wheels to 18"?