Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Buying used 2008 Q7, what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying used 2008 Q7, what to look for

Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a used 2008 Q7 with approximately 90K+ miles. Is there any specific thing I should look for?

I'm not too bad with the tools but work mostly on Japanese cars, never dealt with Europeans before.

Thanks
Old 08-03-2014, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

yeah.. stay away from them. i have an 07' 3.6 premium with 47k miles and the ride is crunchy, bouncy, and harsh all at the same time. also underpowered with crappy gearbox. beautiful looking car though. i'm waiting for the new volvo xc90 to hit the showroom next year then trade that sucker in. for now i'm just doing minor upgrades here and there to keep me sane.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by derricktr
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy a used 2008 Q7 with approximately 90K+ miles. Is there any specific thing I should look for?

I'm not too bad with the tools but work mostly on Japanese cars, never dealt with Europeans before.

Thanks
i am wondering the same except I am looking at a used 2010 4.2.

Originally Posted by geng77
yeah.. stay away from them. i have an 07' 3.6 premium with 47k miles and the ride is crunchy, bouncy, and harsh all at the same time. also underpowered with crappy gearbox. beautiful looking car though. i'm waiting for the new volvo xc90 to hit the showroom next year then trade that sucker in. for now i'm just doing minor upgrades here and there to keep me sane.
i am assuming this is because you have a v6?
Old 08-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would suggest checking for codes with a VAC-COM to make sure there are no engine related issues. I purchased a 08 Q7 - 4.2 S-Line with 42K miles that has "Camshaft Position Sensor" errors that effects the drivability of the vehicle immensely. I didn't take my own advice and now am dealing with the issues daily...... I have had no suspension issues to speak off.

Last edited by wfroehlich; 08-05-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DuwayneWebPro
i am wondering the same except I am looking at a used 2010 4.2.

i am assuming this is because you have a v6?
yup, i have a v6. it revs and makes a lot of noise when you step on it but it doesn't really go anywhere. lol
Old 08-07-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The V6 vs. V8 argument depends on how you are going to drive, what your relative expecatations are, and the trade-offs you are willing to accept.

To dismiss the 3.6 VR6 out of hand and not provide any context or logical reasoning seems foolish to me. The Q7 of this vintage is a ~5200+ lb vehicle with either 280 HP or 350 HP. There's no mystery to it, but it isn't like the VR6 can't get out of it's own way. Most auto mag tests show 0-60 times in the low 8 sec range for the 3.6 (just a tad slower than the current 3.0 TDI). It is known that the 4.2 has carbon build up issues and will need more regular maintenance, but you get what you pay for in performance. The 3.6 is fine for most driving, assuming you aren't towing and yields better MPG than the 4.2.

We have an '08 3.6 Premium Nav/Tech/20s with 43k on it and it has been a great vehicle so far. Very few issues and the ride is "sporty", not cushy, but not "crunchy" either. If a cushy ride is your thing, find one with the air suspension, but that comes with it's own added maintenance concerns too. Regular mixed driving for us is in the ~17 MPG range and hwy is 20-22 depending on avg speed.

A few issues to look out for are leaking sunroof drains which can short out the Nav unit in trunk, MMI dial/button functionality if a previous owner spilled a drink on it and didn't replace it (poor cupholder and placement design), carbon buildup on the 4.2 (3.6 has it to lesser degree), and Q7s eat brakes and tires at about 1.5-2X the rate of your average similar sized SUV. There are probably more things to look out for that others can chime in with.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

I will echo Vag-Fan1's comments. We have an 2008 3.6 premium. We also get 20-21 hwy and 17-18 in the city. We had an A8 with air suspension issues and didn't want it in the Q7. We tow a four place snowmobile trailer and I like towing with the Q7 better than our older Expedition. Clean your sunroof drains, and watch your brakes. We have a slight miss occasionally but not sure if it coils/plugs or carbon build-up. We have been happy with it and have 95k and will have it for several more years.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm very happy with my 09' 3.6. I have non air bag suspension and it feels pretty good-plush and sporty at the same time, definitely not bouncy or crunchy. I actually like the transmission, it shifts clean without hesitation. Sports mode holds the shifts longer and I love to use the manual mode to find the sweet spot in the RPM range to keep the beast moving efficiently. The 3.6 feels smooth and solid, which suits my every day needs.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by geng77
You think an XC90 will have better power? I seriously doubt you will be happier. Not hating, just a caring warning.

BUT, I do recommend that you stay away… my 08 was a lemon (officially) and was replaced by AOA… if you are coming from Japanese car ownership, you will be particularly unhappy with a used german car… they just don't hold-up as well BUT, like many of us think, the joy of ownership is worth the extra trouble. I just traded my MDX in for our 14 Q7… I didn't realize how much I hated the MDX (and the power was crazy good) till I got back into a Q.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'll provide the counter point. Bought my 06/2006 build, model year 2007, Q7 4.2 off the showroom floor in December of 2006. Sold it about two years ago with 153,000 miles. I didn't have the air suspension, just the standard steel coils. I loved the ride, the power, never had a problem with carbon buildup. We have a 2012 Toaureg TDI now and love that but I do miss the Q7 and it's third row. As I was one of the early adopters, I am waiting for the new model before considering another only because I've spent enough time behind the wheel of the current design.

To answer your original question. Bluetooth modules are prone to go out, mine did around 100k. There was a coil pack recall on the 2007s that had 8 new coil packs installed on mine around 80k or so. Other than that, best Audi I have ever had. Excellent vehicle.

Last edited by MarkItZero; 08-10-2014 at 07:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying used 2008 Q7, what to look for