Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Collapsible spare for Q7 won't inflate

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 04:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collapsible spare for Q7 won't inflate

Hi,

I tried inflating the collapsible spare for the Q7. The owner's manual is silent on this. I used two different compressors and none would inflate it, the air just pumps and comes out of somewhere. It' been inflated before by a shop, and I know it's not flat since it's never been driven on. There is this tricky part with the valve and the screw, I tried screwing the tip all the way in, all the way out, and mid-way, and tried inflating in all 3 positions, and it still will do nothing. Such a simple task seems complex, what's the trick to this?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by motopokep
Hi,

I tried inflating the collapsible spare for the Q7. The owner's manual is silent on this. I used two different compressors and none would inflate it, the air just pumps and comes out of somewhere. It' been inflated before by a shop, and I know it's not flat since it's never been driven on. There is this tricky part with the valve and the screw, I tried screwing the tip all the way in, all the way out, and mid-way, and tried inflating in all 3 positions, and it still will do nothing. Such a simple task seems complex, what's the trick to this?
I had a flat recently ad had to use mine...The tow truck driver infated mine and I watched...It took a very strong compressor quite some time to fill it up.

I would be shocked if that unit audi supplies could actually fill it up.

I bet if you took it to the dealer, they could fill it up or tell you if its bad.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tracy.melton

I would be shocked if that unit audi supplies could actually fill it up.
Mine did. It took a while, but that little pump did inflate it.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had this problem. I took it to tire shop to get it inspected. They told me it's normal, just get stem valve removal tool and take out the stem valve off before put the air in. I tried and it did a trick. Inflatable tire needs fast and high pressure to pop the edge of tire to sit right.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a search, I'm just going to bump this.

Woke up yesterday morning to a flat, front passenger-side tire. Giant bolt sticking out of the tread. I have 20" 5-spoke S-Line wheels with Continental 4x4s.

I'm having a very difficult time inflating the spare...which by the way is 18". Is that going to be a problem with factory 20s? I was curious about this.

Tried using the provided compressor with no luck, then switched to another, again, with no luck. Stuck on 20 PSI and I swear it was running for a solid 10-15 mins.

If I can't get it to inflate, I'm going to jack up the Q7 and attempt to inflate the damaged tire. My auto shop is only 2 miles away.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Collapsible spares are knowed to be hard to inflate sometimes. But dont worry for the size, I have 20 inch summer setup 18 inch winter setup. The trick is to get the sidewall to unfold, it will do it like a pop, when its cold its a lot harder. Best bet bring the spare to the garage inflate it with the air pump and then put it on your car. I carry a bottle of tire sealant just in case this happens. For you I think that big bolt cancels that option.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I used the Audi compressor to inflate the spare no problem. I'm on 20", and I drove about 30 miles on the spare without any issues.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great, thanks guys!
Old 02-10-2014, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just a quick update...NO LUCK inflating the spare, with both the provided compressor and my personal one. Was able to get the Q7 to my local shop right down the street, and once the tire is plugged (hopefully) I'm going to Audi to have them SHOW ME how the provided compressor will actually fill up the spare.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I used mine once along side of the road when the car was still relatively new.

No problem. In fact I was quite surprised that the itty bitty pump did the job without overheating and requiring a stop along the way for it to cool down.

Quick Reply: Collapsible spare for Q7 won't inflate