Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Collapsible spare for Q7 won't inflate

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to buy valve core removal tool. You can find at any auto parts store.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=487510_0_0_

Remove or release valve core a little and the pressure will inflate the spare tire no problem. When you get it inflated, turn the valve core back in place.

With the valve core tightened in there. The air pump cannot inflate the spare tire. Once I removed the core, spare tire is inflated fast!
Old 02-10-2014, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also if I remember the tire has to be inflated when its unmounted, from my experience with my allroad.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Good old car
You need to buy valve core removal tool. You can find at any auto parts store.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=487510_0_0_

Remove or release valve core a little and the pressure will inflate the spare tire no problem. When you get it inflated, turn the valve core back in place.

With the valve core tightened in there. The air pump cannot inflate the spare tire. Once I removed the core, spare tire is inflated fast!
For some reason, I didn't even think about that option, great idea! The pump end must not depress the valve pin enough to allow for inflation. I am going to see if i can find an adapter of some sort to make sure the pin gets depressed properly.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Good old car
You need to buy valve core removal tool. You can find at any auto parts store. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=487510_0_0_ Remove or release valve core a little and the pressure will inflate the spare tire no problem. When you get it inflated, turn the valve core back in place. With the valve core tightened in there. The air pump cannot inflate the spare tire. Once I removed the core, spare tire is inflated fast!
The spare tire valve cap doubles as a valve core removal tool. I screwed the valve core open, closed, in the middle and my compressor was not inflating the tire. If I depressed valve core with my finger, whatever air in the tire would release. Nothing would get in.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Managed to solve it with my Q5 2013

anaged to solve ot after several trials
I have an Audi Q5 2013,

I managed to overcome the collapsible tyre problem,
The problem when u try to inflate the tyre with car compressor is that sometimes the tyre is not properly fitted in its rim so the air is leaked out and the tyre will never inflate, with the strong compressor at service center you won’t find a problem to inflate it, as the strong air pressure will overcome the leakage.
so the solution is to keep some air inside the tyre when you deflate it to make sure it is fitted with the Rim, then when you try to inflate using the provided car compressor it will inflate properly with no problems,
attached images showing:
-The level of air you have to keep inside the tyre.
- The tyre can fit in its place even if not completely deflated.
The following 3 users liked this post by Hossam Abdelwahab:
Richard Sheppard (12-30-2020), sfyyds (12-04-2022), WOODY135 (08-04-2022)
Old 05-31-2022, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Useless engineering

The Audi supplied compressor generates heat but no air pressure. Maybe it would be a good heater in the winter. I even tried a separate heavier compressor and the tire did not budge. Garbage system.
Old 05-31-2022, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I have used mine once to inflate the spare. This over 10 years with 2 Q7s. The little compressor worked OK. Took a long time but that’s to be expected. Have used it quite a few times for bicycle tires. Works there too
:-). I keep a plugging kit in each of our Audi‘s. It’s usually faster to plug a tire than it is to change it out for the spare.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 702 Likes on 583 Posts

You'll almost surely kill yourself attempting to get the flat or damaged tire & wheel off this car unless you have a lengthy breaker bar and managed to stop on a solid, nearly level surface. We replaced worn runflat tires on the '15 partly for this very reason, and are quite happy with them.

TPMS is really your best defense on this car, as that has saved my bacon a couple times now when I picked up a nail or screw in a tire by alerting me to the pressure loss before it became a major tire or rim mangling event.

Old 08-04-2022, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by motopokep
Hi,

I tried inflating the collapsible spare for the Q7. The owner's manual is silent on this. I used two different compressors and none would inflate it, the air just pumps and comes out of somewhere. It' been inflated before by a shop, and I know it's not flat since it's never been driven on. There is this tricky part with the valve and the screw, I tried screwing the tip all the way in, all the way out, and mid-way, and tried inflating in all 3 positions, and it still will do nothing. Such a simple task seems complex, what's the trick to this?
I have used our spavesaver on several occasions without a single problem until yesterday. The small pump failed to inflate the tyre and on close inspection the tyre had come away from the wheel side wall. No chance of inflating this with the small Audi pump! Roadside support could not inflate it either and ended up repairing the puncture in the original tyre. Today our local tyre supplier inflated said spacesaver without any problem, using the garage/shop compressed air supply, however on deflation the tyre popped off the rim again. This time the tyre inflated immediately even though the tyre was off the wheel rim. The tyre supplier has now put some rim sealant around the rim in an attempt to stop it popping off on deflation. Lets see what happens !! On closer examination the tyre looks slightly perished even tough it has only been on the car for abour 2-3 days in all those years. (Car is a 2013 model)
Old 08-04-2022, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Loosen your wheel nuts before your jack up your car (not the entire way obviously). Car is stable and the wheel is fixed from rotating.

Quick Reply: Collapsible spare for Q7 won't inflate