Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Condensate drain location?

Old 07-19-2018, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to open an old thread, and I actually have a 2010 Q5 but I believe the answer will be the same for either car. My question is; can a clogged a/c condensate drain be fully cleared by spraying compressed air into the drain from the underside of the car, or will that not work well anyway/the steps involved for the passenger footwell drain clearing need to be followed?

I'm not much of a diy, and while it doesn't seem too difficult, I'd rather bring it to a garage. Want to avoid Audi as they'll charge a fortune. I have a local/trusted garage who has worked on various other cars over the years, but never my Audi.

The local garage mentioned the compressed air from underneath the car, but if you guys think that's not going to work and/or they really need to do the footwell thing, then maybe I'll just suck it up and go to Audi.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by john1r
Sorry to open an old thread, and I actually have a 2010 Q5 but I believe the answer will be the same for either car. My question is; can a clogged a/c condensate drain be fully cleared by spraying compressed air into the drain from the underside of the car, or will that not work well anyway/the steps involved for the passenger footwell drain clearing need to be followed?

I'm not much of a diy, and while it doesn't seem too difficult, I'd rather bring it to a garage. Want to avoid Audi as they'll charge a fortune. I have a local/trusted garage who has worked on various other cars over the years, but never my Audi.

The local garage mentioned the compressed air from underneath the car, but if you guys think that's not going to work and/or they really need to do the footwell thing, then maybe I'll just suck it up and go to Audi.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Short answer is yes, but they would likely have to lift the car and then maneuver to find the rubber drain coming through the firewall they would still have to get to it from inside, in my opinion.
However, I would be concerned about sending any obstruction or debris back into the AC/condenser if you use compressed air....and definitely would not use any strong air compressor. Might be better just to have them clean/scrape it out with something. The problem is that the rubber drain clogs with gunk/debris/ mildew and needs to be cleaned out...and in my case happens regularly (2-3 times a year). I find it very easy, just to remove the panel under the glove box, pull out the rubber connection and then stick a long/narrow brush ( i use a brush to clean baby bottle nipples) to clean and push out all the debris. Then i proceed to clean as good as possible. I have used can air spray to help clean it out and comes out through rubber hose in firewall and falls to ground. The instructions above worked great.

Old 06-18-2022, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default AC Condensation Drain Part Number

Originally Posted by M3 Ninja
In case anyone is still looking for pics of the drain, here is what it looks like when it's unplugged. I took a small screwdriver and slid it between the drain and the rubber tube, and that helped it slide apart. Very easy to get back on. I took a cable running reel and slid it down the drain. Mine was totally clean.

This forum has been so helpful, so many times!

Does anyone know a part number for this rubber tube piece? I’ve looked all over online and called the dealership, and the only part that is coming up looks nothing like this. Maybe you can’t buy this piece alone? It’s for my 2015 Q7.

I took it apart to clean it out because I had a lot of water pouring into the drivers footwell (ac condensation). It was definitely the problem. Fixed that (thanks to the forum members), but in the process of getting the tube off I think I damaged it with a screwdriver, so now it leaks on the passenger side. 🙁. Hoping I can just buy the rubber hose piece…
Old 06-18-2022, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 697 Likes on 578 Posts

Let me introduce you to Mr. Google, your new best friend in the parts finding arena: https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi__Q7...7P0820119.html

I searched on: 2015 audi q7 condensate drain tube

There are both front and rear HVAC condensate drain tubes listed in my search results, but the one linked above looked promising, although the illustration they show is of very poor quality, and may be a source of confusion. If in doubt call the parts desk at dealer and ensure you get the correct part#, then you can google it for availability and best pricing (for expensive parts). You'd be surprised what OE/OEM parts you can get off amazon, walmart, home depot, and everywhere else you never thought of, if you have a part#.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 06-18-2022 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2022, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Cr3ture
This forum has been so helpful, so many times!

Does anyone know a part number for this rubber tube piece? I’ve looked all over online and called the dealership, and the only part that is coming up looks nothing like this. Maybe you can’t buy this piece alone? It’s for my 2015 Q7.

I took it apart to clean it out because I had a lot of water pouring into the drivers footwell (ac condensation). It was definitely the problem. Fixed that (thanks to the forum members), but in the process of getting the tube off I think I damaged it with a screwdriver, so now it leaks on the passenger side. 🙁. Hoping I can just buy the rubber hose piece…
hello sir. Sorry to ask but I have this issue and when I took the drain pipe off the plastic bit it was approx 5 inches long, with the rubber splash guard that secures it to the hole it goes through into somewhere ! Is this pipe meant to be ttot long ? As I am reading that it's meant to go into the engine compartment?
Old 07-15-2022, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah that sounds about right. It looked a lot different than I expected. It was about 6” long if I recall. Most of the tube is actually inside the car with just the last bit of it going through the wall. I couldn’t decide if it was supposed to actually snap into the hole in the footwell or just sit there with the length of it pushing both ways and keeping it snug up against the wall. I couldn’t get it to snap in after a lot of struggling so left it there just pushing into the hole. It’s been working fine so far. No leaking anywhere and lots of ac usage.