Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Dead battery caused steering angle, abs, rear camera faults and DTCs

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts
Default Dead battery caused steering angle, abs, rear camera faults and DTCs

FYI If you leave the lights on and discharge the battery( yes I know. My wife already told me) it WILL cause lots of error codes.
We are visiting kids and grandkids in Ft Worth. 685 miles from home but fortunately I brought my laptop and VAG cable. After charging the battery all codes cleared except the one for steering angle sensor, stability control module, tire pressure monitor and back up camera. I tried repeatedly in auto scan and in long coding under sub menus but no luck. When I put the car in reverse there were no steering guidance lines in the rear camera display. Finally after much reading and thought, I decided to drive the car a bit and see if further battery charging might help. WHEN I BACKED OUT OF THE DRIVEWAY AND TURNED INTO THE STREET THE STABILITY FAULT AND THE TPC LIGHTS WENT OUT! I drove it a mile or two and returned and was able to clear all fault codes.
Apparently the steering angle sensor and stability need some input from driving before they can be cleared.
Oh one other thing-- If you move the headlight switch from auto to on so that you can use the fog lights, PUT IT BACK BEFORE GETTING OUT 🙂

The following users liked this post:
mikesvwservice (11-29-2019)
Old 12-10-2016, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience! The same thing will probably be true for my S5 and other Audi vehicles.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Same thing happened with my Q7 last December when the battery died.. I cleared all faults but my Audi side assist module still doesn't work. I wonder if it's as easy as a fix as yours is. Side assist was actually one of my favorite features. As stupid as it may sound. Lol. I also had the steering angle sensor fail but it fixed itself immediately.

I'm surprised the Q7 doesn't automatically turn off the lights if they have been left 'on' for a certain amount of time after the vehicle has been turned off. I know other, more basic cars do that. Strange.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by D3Audi
Same thing happened with my Q7 last December when the battery died.. I cleared all faults but my Audi side assist module still doesn't work. I wonder if it's as easy as a fix as yours is. Side assist was actually one of my favorite features. As stupid as it may sound. Lol. I also had the steering angle sensor fail but it fixed itself immediately.

I'm surprised the Q7 doesn't automatically turn off the lights if they have been left 'on' for a certain amount of time after the vehicle has been turned off. I know other, more basic cars do that. Strange.
Interesting. Mine did not display a side assist code that I remember. ( There were several though, I'll check the log I saved. ) Did you replace your battery? I read of battery management shutting down systems to preserve battery for necessary functions. Ours is the original 2011 battery. I guess I need to go ahead and replace it. I'll probably get an OEM one since they last so long. Our 2006 A6 battery went six years before I replaced it too.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
If you move the headlight switch from auto to on so that you can use the fog lights, PUT IT BACK BEFORE GETTING OUT 🙂
Or pay attention to the audible warning signal that the lights are still on.
Old 12-11-2016, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah I replaced my battery with an autozone battery (never again). The first battery didn't make it a year. Autozone just replaced the battery again for free this time (I had to do the PITA install again and unbolt the seat and such). Go with OEM, or maybe a high end interstate battery. I don't know if they make them in the size for the Q7 though. But you're definitely due for a battery. Also, how are your HID bulbs? Usually they need to be replaced after 5 years as well.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by D3Audi
Yeah I replaced my battery with an autozone battery (never again). The first battery didn't make it a year. Autozone just replaced the battery again for free this time (I had to do the PITA install again and unbolt the seat and such). Go with OEM, or maybe a high end interstate battery. I don't know if they make them in the size for the Q7 though. But you're definitely due for a battery. Also, how are your HID bulbs? Usually they need to be replaced after 5 years as well.
Did you do the battery management coding procedure? I have read that not doing it shortens the life of the replacement battery.

I have also read that if using an aftermarket battery without numbers that can be entered in battery management that you can use all your old battery info but just add one to the serial number. No personal experience with this however.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time for new battery for me too - any suggestions other than OEM? Looking at the Interstate MT5-49/H8 with 900 CCA.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by S8code3
Time for new battery for me too - any suggestions other than OEM? Looking at the Interstate MT5-49/H8 with 900 CCA.
After getting 6 years from the original, I am going to get another. Especially since it will be easy to enter the proper information from the sticker into battery management. They are surprisingly affordable ( for AUDI)
Old 12-13-2016, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I did not recode last time. I need to this time. It's just a matter of finding a shop/dealer that can do it. I live in the middle of nowhere. Lol. A part of me does believe that's why my first battery died so fast.