Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Door handle black botton quit working....

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door handle black botton quit working....

My regular 4 year warranty was expired last Dec and I currently have 2 more years of Carefree Car Protection from Fidelity Warranty Services that I bought when we purchased the car. I was going through the "exclusions" of covered items and the door handle is listed!

I brought the car to the Barrier Audi in Bellevue and they said that in order to repair the black button for key-less entry, the whole door handle would need to be replaced, which is NOT covered under my extended warranty.

For those with a 07 Audi 4.2, how has your reliability been?

Also, are there different kinds of extended warranties that you can buy for other Audis?
Old 03-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh yeah by the way, can an independent shop be able to repair/replace the door handle?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just yesterday I noticed that the lock buttons on our '08 had stopped working. I will let the dealer know at its next service at 30k. Well I wonder if audi will even cover it on a cpo car.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:15 AM
TJK
AudiWorld Member

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I had that failure at least 2, maybe 3 times. All fixed under warranty, but now I am out of warranty too on my 2007 4.2 (which I purchased in summer 2006). I just recently lost the central locking/keyless start unit and it cost quite a bit to replace, because the dealer followed its protocol and the TSBs which required replacing the keys as well. That cost me about $800. I then lost my bluetooth module and that was replaced for $750. Your post-warranty worries are definitely going to be electronics. That all said, as I recall, in order to buy extended warranty coverage from Audi that covered electronics and convenience features, I would have had to buy the "platinum" level warranty at a cost of nearly $5,000. So I decided to self insure and so far (knock wood) I am ahead.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hmmm. Our Q7 is just about 2 years old. When I bought the car, the dealership pressed an extended warranty specifically pointing out the car was chock full of electronics that'd cost an arm and a leg to repair. I really didn't like the sound of that but went ahead and bought the package. Other than a noise in the radio the electronics has held so far but all this data is rather disturbing.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

We also lost two of the handles over the past 4yrs. Both times they had to replace the handle as stated by the OP. Pain in the *** as they have to have the handle painted so it takes at least a day. I am very concerned about long term issues with our 07. We have the CPO warranty which supposedly covers everything for another 2yrs with a $50/deductible. We will see how it works. Not a cheap car to operate.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Check the battery in your key. Just saying since I have a 2007 4.2 with keyless start and my button stopped working recently.

I couldnt unlock the doors by grabbing the handle. When I parked it, I couldn't lock it by pressing the black button either so I assumed the worst. However, the next day, I wasn't able to start the car with the start engine button which made me think it was the key instead. I replaced the battery in the key and now no problems. I assume you have the same problem with both keys though (in my case, my wife had the other one and wasnt with me).
Old 03-31-2011, 09:04 AM
TJK
AudiWorld Member

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Key fob battery was the first thing I always checked. The car actually has a warning message that will display if it detects low voltage in the key fob, or loss of signal (e.g., key not in car). Unfortunately for me, the fault was always the keyless entry antennae embedded in the door handles. Audi can scan the system to determine which one(s) are failing.

This failure is common and is documented in Audi's TSBs for the Q7. Unfortunately, it also sounds like the warranty companies are aware of it too, which is why some are seeing it specifically excluded from coverage. The fault rate might have improved in the newer models, I'm not sure.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got only 1 of 4 working (left rear one)
never got that in mind to have them repaired, since I never use it to lock the doors, but keyless door opening and engine start still working perfectly
Old 03-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Good news!

Just got a call from the dealer and they said that my extended warranty will cover the repair of the key-less entry black botton on one of the door handles. The part is already here and the dealer said it will only take 1 hour for the repair. I assume they have already painted my new door handle? I have a $100 deductible though. I will bring my car next Monday and we'll see what happens!

Quick Reply: Door handle black botton quit working....