Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Door handle black botton quit working....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default woke up today with both rear door buttons dead

must be contagious lol
Old 09-01-2013, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Looks like I am experiencing this with my drivers handle now as well. The rear drivers side works still.
Ugh.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Only my passengers door handle black button works. All my unlock handles work, the passengers one opens soon as my hand goes near the handle but the rest I need to pull the handle out for it to recognise I want in then it unlocks

Not worth repairing, I use the keyless unlock and start stop engine function but prefer to lock with the fob to be sure it's locked.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default bad handles

I've had all 4 door handles replaced on my '07, and the rear lock buttons have failed again on the replacements. I haven't bothered to replace them yet since they're no longer under warranty, but obviously this was a poorly designed part. I'm curious if the newer door handles with the chrome insert is more durable. Seems like the black lock button is more likely to break, the less it's used, since the ones that are still working okay are the ones I use most. Any failures from you folks with the newer part?
Old 01-06-2016, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I know this is an old thread but is there any info on what actually causes the door handles to fail in the first place? All 4 of my door handles have to be pulled before they unlock, and the rear door black buttons work, but the front door black buttons work intermittently. I noticed on newer Q7's (2012-2015) that the buttons are made of a different material. Or so it looks like it is. My 2008 is off warranty so I'm just going to leave it, I'm just concerned because I don't want it to lead to other problems down the road such as electrical issues, shorts, etc..
Old 01-06-2016, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can't answer your question, but 3 out of 4 handles failed on my 2007, ended up just cutting the wires to them as they were causing errors and battery drain (from what I read some systems don't go properly to sleep if there is a short in one of the handles).
Old 01-06-2016, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

back when i owned a 2007 every handle was replaced and the driver's door handle replaced twice. out of all the Q7 i have owned it is the only vehicle i experienced this with and it was replaced under warranty.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The later cars have a newer design and a different part number to suit and they seem far more reliable.
All four of mine work but only the near side rear operates perfectly, as in, it opens as you reach for it rather than having to pull it first.
The problem is an ingress of water, probably around the button itself rather than in through the rear of the handle.
You can flip the outer cover off easily but it does not lead to an obvious DIY fix as far I could see. I haven't explored further because I have a wife who makes many demands on my time and would ask why I was spending lots of time looking door handles when I would be attending to her needs!
Old 01-02-2017, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Door Hande Button Part

Originally Posted by Edd W
The later cars have a newer design and a different part number to suit and they seem far more reliable.
All four of mine work but only the near side rear operates perfectly, as in, it opens as you reach for it rather than having to pull it first.
The problem is an ingress of water, probably around the button itself rather than in through the rear of the handle.
You can flip the outer cover off easily but it does not lead to an obvious DIY fix as far I could see. I haven't explored further because I have a wife who makes many demands on my time and would ask why I was spending lots of time looking door handles when I would be attending to her needs!
My driver's side button seems to have failed too. There is no longer any tactile click compared to other 3 doors that still work, indicating that the previous owner might have pressed it too hard.

Found some part on this,
2007 2008 2009 2010 AUDI Q7 4L - DOOR HANDLE MICRO SWITCH FOR KESSY | eBay

and

SWITCH (8H0-959-985-B) - $54.42 - 8H0959985B

Can clearly see the spring which works with outer button.

Has anyone dismantled handle to replace this defective switch ?
Thanks for all guidance.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

I have one that is bad. Right rear though. I can live with that.
My 2015 S5 has the newer style that senses proximity. Rather than having you press the button, you just cover it with your hand and the door locks. Works well except when you wash the car wit the key in your pocket. The doors will lock when you spray the hose on them if you don't take the key out of your pocket.

Quick Reply: Door handle black botton quit working....