Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

DREADED PCV Whistle on our new (2nd hand) 4.2L V8 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DREADED PCV Whistle on our new (2nd hand) 4.2L V8 Q7

My Wife & I recently bought a stunning 2006 Q7 (4.2L V8 Petrol) with the understanding that it had the well known PCV Whistle. The previous owner had it diagnosed at our local Audi Dealership & was quoted $1,500 to replace the PCV - which he couldn't afford & let the car go (to us) very cheap. As I'm a Qualified Mechanic (& with your old Forum Posts), I was able to buy & fit a replacement part from Ebay (cheap Chinese one??? not sure).

Link to it here - https://bit.ly/2MqcOgQ

So, for $85, I replaced (& supposedly fixed the issue). However, it only fixed the whistle for about 200km. Then it came back with vengence - on an INTERSTATE FAMILY HOLIDAY Luckily, I took the old one along, cleaned internals with Petrol & refitted & WOWEE!!! It was fixed for 3 or 4 days, until I put the "Pedal to the Metal" & overtook a car. Then it came back & will not go away..... I've taken both PCV's off, removed the diaphram & inspected them - they both look OK.

I'm not looking forward to the 800km drive home with a whistle tomorrow & am thinking of putting a Catch Can in & removing the PCV all together. Does anyone have experience with this? Any ideas that will (cheaply) fix the F@%*ing Whistle?

HELP.....
Old 01-24-2019, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey mate, seems to be the vacuum leak could be with one of the orings on the alloy cast pipes that feed after the PCV group. There are another 2 orings after that unit by the time it eventually gets to on top of the throttle body, or it could be the plastic hose or even the orings for the plastic hose coming from the left rocker cover. I have the same engine in my 2008 and have done the full intake overhaul on these aswell and been a mechanic also you just wanna peice of mind its all good.
I replaced my PCV with a ebay unit also last year in hopes of cutting back on the oil consumption and blowby feed going back into the intake and had no dramas with the quality of it but I have looked into running the catch can setup also.
The ebay link you added was for Aus so if thats where you are I have been looking at a unit at Autobarn for about $120 because it was about a 500ml catch on it and putting it between the rocker cover and the PCV, only drama is manually having to empty the can when required but cutting that plastic/ braided hose would be **** and adding extended lines to around the left intake group somewhere. Seems somehow with the FSI design they eat through about a litre of engine oil a month. See how you go bud.