Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

ECM Software Update - Doesn't Look Good

Old 09-29-2011, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default ECM Software Update - Doesn't Look Good

Dealer did a software update (Campaign 23H3) to the ECM in my 2010 Q7 3.0 TDI yesterday. Since then, the fuel mileage as shown in the cluster has dropped significantly. In 25k miles, I normally average around 20-21 mpg in town driving. Since the update, I am averaging around 17 mpg.

They've either changed something in the engine fuel management or the algorithm used to calculate and display the fuel mileage in the cluster.

This is the same update that turned on the Low AdBlue Warning, although the dealer claims the update could not have done so. Funny thing is that the warning was not activated when I dropped the car off, but was activated when I picked it up after the software update.

Not a happy camper! I have an email in to the Service Manager to see if they can step back the update to the previous one.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Dealer (Gwinnett Audi aka Rick Case Audi) says to call Audi Customer Care. Looks like I need to find another servicing dealer.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Will monitor my numbers as well

Hey Dutch,

Just got the same update during our 15k service this past Saturday - will keep a close eye on the Q7 TDI mpg calculations to see if this is the case with us as well.

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
Dealer did a software update (Campaign 23H3) to the ECM in my 2010 Q7 3.0 TDI yesterday. Since then, the fuel mileage as shown in the cluster has dropped significantly. In 25k miles, I normally average around 20-21 mpg in town driving. Since the update, I am averaging around 17 mpg.

They've either changed something in the engine fuel management or the algorithm used to calculate and display the fuel mileage in the cluster.

This is the same update that turned on the Low AdBlue Warning, although the dealer claims the update could not have done so. Funny thing is that the warning was not activated when I dropped the car off, but was activated when I picked it up after the software update.

Not a happy camper! I have an email in to the Service Manager to see if they can step back the update to the previous one.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by maximq7
Hey Dutch,

Just got the same update during our 15k service this past Saturday - will keep a close eye on the Q7 TDI mpg calculations to see if this is the case with us as well.
Did your dealer tell you what it was supposed to accomplish or to do? Mine could not.

An email asking this same question to Audi America Customer Relations has gone unanswered. They do not seem to be able to communicate well with customers! With MBUSA I might not like the answer, but I've always received a response.

The mileage seems to be getting back towards normal. Really need to take a highway trip to know for certain.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

The service manager said it was a recall initially but almost seemed like he was slurring it between recall/service update to the ECM. No further information regarding it - hadn't heard about a formal recall though for Q7s regarding the Electronic Control Module.

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
Did your dealer tell you what it was supposed to accomplish or to do? Mine could not.

An email asking this same question to Audi America Customer Relations has gone unanswered. They do not seem to be able to communicate well with customers! With MBUSA I might not like the answer, but I've always received a response.

The mileage seems to be getting back towards normal. Really need to take a highway trip to know for certain.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm averaging 28.2 mpg on a recent highway run. Appears to me that fuel economy has gone down from a high of 29.4 (in the summer of 2010) but can't tell how much of that is due to other factors - I'm hauling more now (2 kids vs. 1).
Old 09-04-2015, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 A3 TDI

On my 3rd tank after ECM adjustment and getting consistent 5 mpg less. I have run my mpg's every tank since new and have NEVER gotten less than 30-31mpg's. Our driving is very consistent in conditions (same route everyday).

Dealership say that this is an Audi USA issue so I sent in a complaint to Audi USA and encourage EVERYone to do the same ASAP. If I dont get a satisfactory answer then I will go the route of the lady who sued Honda in small claims with a very similar issue (mpg's car was sold based on).

Woman Takes Honda to Small-Claims, Wins Big

Please contact Audi so that they will see that they need to act quickly.

I will post all my contacts with them here....
Old 10-20-2015, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default MPG Decrease after ECM update/TSB change

After Audi USA denying anything wrong, after talking extensively to Dealer Service and getting no answers, I have finally gotten an answer on this issue.

Months of research online and in person I have found the issue to be with resetting the ECM/U. When power is disrupted, or a reset is manually done, or perhaps even a program change (TSB Update etc) the ECM has to recalculate over time the typical usage data and calibrate the ECM/U MPG. According to a former Audi Master Lead Technician, this process takes around 100 engine cycles (start, run to operating temp, shut down).

So in my case, after around 5 weeks and 2 full tanks after my Recall TSB for the illegal emissions fiasco, my MPG's returned to normal. I think it is absolutey rediculous that Audi has such disregard for their customers that they would not tell me about the process of ECM/U resetting and the effect that it has on MPG when clearly this is common knowledge of Audi technicians (according to the Master Audi tech I finely got the answer from).

I can kind of understand why my Service Manager did not find this out because I had asked him to speak with Audi USA and he got the same BS answer I did of how I must have caused it from bad driving, poor maintenace, open windows etc.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A3EE!
After Audi USA denying anything wrong, after talking extensively to Dealer Service and getting no answers, I have finally gotten an answer on this issue.

Months of research online and in person I have found the issue to be with resetting the ECM/U. When power is disrupted, or a reset is manually done, or perhaps even a program change (TSB Update etc) the ECM has to recalculate over time the typical usage data and calibrate the ECM/U MPG. According to a former Audi Master Lead Technician, this process takes around 100 engine cycles (start, run to operating temp, shut down).

So in my case, after around 5 weeks and 2 full tanks after my Recall TSB for the illegal emissions fiasco, my MPG's returned to normal. I think it is absolutey rediculous that Audi has such disregard for their customers that they would not tell me about the process of ECM/U resetting and the effect that it has on MPG when clearly this is common knowledge of Audi technicians (according to the Master Audi tech I finely got the answer from).

I can kind of understand why my Service Manager did not find this out because I had asked him to speak with Audi USA and he got the same BS answer I did of how I must have caused it from bad driving, poor maintenace, open windows etc.
Hopefully they didn't just turn on the previously off emissions hardware in our cars!