Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Enabling Tourist Solution / Headlamp Converter MMI-3G+...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Enabling Tourist Solution / Headlamp Converter MMI-3G+...

Does anyone on here know of a way to enable Tourist Solution (Headlamp Converter) on MMI-3G+ units found in 2015 or similar Q7?

I have European headlights installed and when I leave the High Beam on for over a 45 seconds or so it automatically engages Tourist Solution. The only way to disable it is to hook up VagCom and do it manually. This is not very convenient when on a roadtrip and not travelling with the cable or laptop.

This is not a Q7 but the objective I am trying to achieve:

This is on a MMI-2G platform:
Old 02-21-2016, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed that most things you can bring up or change in the mmi menu are in the hidden menu and not by coding.
Could it be located in there.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know Q5 but could be in similar area
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-mode-2850028/

Or more here Q5 again tho soz
OK, I've just spent 20 minutes playing in my car and have discovered how to enable both the headlight 'Tourist Solution' and the menu item in the MMI. Information for the first part was found on the Ross-Tech Wiki site and AudiForum.us.

Open module 55 - Xenon Range
Select Adaptation - 10
Either select "Tourist Solution" from drop down menu at top or manually enter '10' in the channel number box
Set the New Value to '1' to enable the function and select Save and then confirm when prompted. Close the controller when complete.

Open module 09 - Cent. Elect
Select Coding - 07
Select Long Coding Helper (LCH)
Select Byte 4
Either tick the checkbox (the only one - for bit 6) or set bit 6 to 1
Exit LCH and Do It!.

You should now have the menu option under External Lighting in the MMI. You may need to switch the ignition on/off to activate it if it is greyed out.

When enabled and you turn tourist mode on, you will get a warning message in the DIS stating that it is on and that the headlights have reduced range.

Hope this helps.

On a final note are your settings down as north america or row etc, will changing that help?

Last edited by Gavin0478; 02-21-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Expert

thank you! i will give it a shot tomorrow.
hopefully it is similar to the B8/8R platform otherwise i'll have to try to figure this out. this has annoyed me on every Q7 i owned so i finally want to get around to finding a permanent resolution for this especially since my wife is going a trip with her friends in the car and i dont want it to get stuck in that mode until she returns.

Originally Posted by Gavin0478
I have noticed that most things you can bring up or change in the mmi menu are in the hidden menu and not by coding.
Could it be located in there.
you are correct, but i don't have the cojones to mess around in there without proper instructions.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

So I'm confused, is tourist mode the setting that lowers the beam of the headlight, when traveling to RHD countries, or is it a separate beam of light?
Old 02-22-2016, 01:39 AM
AudiWorld Expert

it dips the driver's side headlight for driving in RHD countries without you having to manually put the stickers on the headlights. it is done automatically if you leave the high beam on too long or if you manually set it in the mmi. unfortunately on vehicles where there are no RHD regions that feature is omitted from the MMI and only way to disable it is to use vagcom.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I see. My app on my phone called Carista gives me that option, I haven't really tried it though, I wonder if it's the same thing.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by Gavin0478
Hope this helps.

On a final note are your settings down as north america or row etc, will changing that help?
unfortunately not possible through those steps.

most of my settings are ROW. is there a list of areas where i may check? i may have overlooked or missed an area.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have had a play and all i can find in vcds is to select the mode or not, i do feel it is in the hidden menu as a quick nosey showed it to be similar to vcds ie byte 0/1 for on and off and 0-9 for which variant.

I turned on and off the clock, changed the tpms from abs reading type to pressure display, enabled the oil level display.

I ran out of time but i would put money on it being in the area where you can select 0-9 cant remember the name on the exterior light option.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Expert

you were able to get oil level display on the Q7?

do you know where i may look in the diag green menu? i don't want to poke around too much in there because some of the changes are irreversible without a visit to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Enabling Tourist Solution / Headlamp Converter MMI-3G+...