AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Q7 MK 1 Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/)
-   -   Exploding sunroof! (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-mk-1-discussion-112/exploding-sunroof-2969065/)

Lisa schmaltz 03-19-2019 12:52 PM

Exploding sunroof!

Driving along quiet country road today, no traffic around... and heard loud gunshot/explosion noise! Mind thinking I was in a wreck, but realized no still driving and no impact.... looked up and saw sunroof had exploded! Literally no sunroof over front compartment ... luckily shade was drawn so no glass got on me. What the heck!!!! Looking it up and finding others similar instances for all makes and models with newer, larger sunroof/moon roofs. Towed into service center and said looking into it and might be from rock and I’ll need to use my insurance. BS!!!!! No rock maybe large boulder would have caused this damage! I want Audi warranty to cover it, not my fault in anyway! Anyone else same issue????? Advice????? Hopefully Audi takes responsibility 🙏

Kris Hansen 03-19-2019 01:07 PM

It's pretty tough to get Audi to admit fault in anything unless there's a fault code in a computer. Good luck!

raj99 03-19-2019 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa schmaltz (Post 25291537)
Driving along quiet country road today, no traffic around... and heard loud gunshot/explosion noise! Mind thinking I was in a wreck, but realized no still driving and no impact.... looked up and saw sunroof had exploded! Literally no sunroof over front compartment ... luckily shade was drawn so no glass got on me. What the heck!!!! Looking it up and finding others similar instances for all makes and models with newer, larger sunroof/moon roofs. Towed into service center and said looking into it and might be from rock and I’ll need to use my insurance. BS!!!!! No rock maybe large boulder would have caused this damage! I want Audi warranty to cover it, not my fault in anyway! Anyone else same issue????? Advice????? Hopefully Audi takes responsibility 🙏

Hi @Lisa schmaltz sounds like you got a new feature, but unfortuantely it's a one-time use only ;) I doubt Audi will take any responsibility for it, but you'll get it covered under insurance. From an engineering perspective I can totally understand why a sunroof can explode, think the metal fatugue and changes when the car is in movement against a glass structure. Good luck and let us know how it goes. BTW, this is pretty interesting: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...nger-overhead/

dreadlocks 03-19-2019 01:35 PM

Glass is not going to be a warranty-able item.. you cannot prove it was a manufacturer defect at this point, and you'd be surprised.. glass dont break from the size of the object impacting it, a small piece of ceramic can destroy automotive glass without much effort.. its about force over area, particularly a large force on a tiny area.

Lisa schmaltz 03-21-2019 07:12 AM

Sunroof exploded

So still waiting for response from Audi... been 2 days and car not looked at yet. Does anyone know if they replace with exact same sunroof as original, and anyone hear of this happening more than once to a vehicle or just one time experience 😵😵!

machish 03-25-2019 09:00 AM

Yuck, that's pretty scary! Consumer Reports had an article about this sort of thing:
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...nger-overhead/
It's hard to tell what your options are...

amyrdoherty11 05-02-2019 12:18 PM

Same thing just happened to me today on my 2017 A4. I hope Audi takes responsibility - this should not happen. Thankfully, my shade was drawn as well, but still scary.

Originally Posted by Lisa schmaltz (Post 25291537)

Lisa schmaltz 05-02-2019 01:36 PM

Re: Amy exploding sunroof

Sorry to hear that happened to you. It is scary and should not be covered by YOUR insurance but by the Audi warranty! There is so much info out on these sunroofs exploding... just google “exploding sunroofs” and you’ll find numerous articles. I helped our local news to story on it (look up KGW-TV Portland channel, Chris Willis news anchor). It’s amazing how often this is happening.... don’t back down to Audi, make them fix it.

bmwrt 05-02-2019 11:00 PM

Try your vehicle insurance. Tell them a truck sent a rock on your vehicle and hit the sunroof. I just had my windshield replaced under my insurance last week. My deductible was $100.

Kris Hansen 05-03-2019 02:55 AM

Whats amazing to me is Audi always says it's impact causing the breakage, but if you watch the video of the hail damage in Texas, every car had smashed front and rear windows, but none had broken sunroofs...