Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

First time towing an airstream

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default First time towing an airstream

Hi all!

I own a 2013 Q7 TDI without the air suspension. I installed the factory tow hitch using the directions in one of threads on this forum and purchased a Tekonsha P3 electronic brake controller. I have the ball mounts that came with the factory tow hitch

I plan on renting an airstream Bambi off of RVShare, anything that I need to get or things I should do prior to renting this? Probably going to tow it around 200-300 miles over the weekend here in Socal.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2019, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

My first tow with the Audi was also a rental, I'd suggest testing your new brake setup before grabbing the trailer.. You can use a test light or a multimeter on the trailer plug and have someone inside press the pedal.. then crank up and down the trailer controller and you should see the voltage change or the bulb get brighter/dimmer.

Run some BG245 through it just for kicks (or Diesel Kleen if you have done BG245 recently), I dont always use fuel additives.. but I do when I tow.

Also go get your self a OEM jug of AdBlue to keep in spare tire area, and a Diesel Fueling Funnel for adding your additives and letting you use stations that have the wrong nozzles on their diesel pumps.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 07-16-2019 at 11:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
drjonez (07-16-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
My first tow with the Audi was also a rental, I'd suggest testing your new brake setup before grabbing the trailer.. You can use a test light or a multimeter on the trailer plug and have someone inside press the pedal.. then crank up and down the trailer controller and you should see the voltage change or the bulb get brighter/dimmer.

Run some BG245 through it just for kicks (or Diesel Kleen if you have done BG245 recently), I dont always use fuel additives.. but I do when I tow.

Also go get your self a OEM jug of AdBlue to keep in spare tire area, and a Diesel Fueling Funnel for adding your additives and letting you use stations that have the wrong nozzles on their diesel pumps.
Why OEM AdBlue vs “others”?
Old 07-21-2019, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

because it fits in the spare tire area and screws onto the AdBlue port, all of it will get in the tank instead of half of it on your car..

IMO everyone should buy 2 OEM AdBlue bottles, one ot keep intact in the car for emergencies.. the other to cut the bottom off of and use as a funnel so you dont get urine all over the place when you fill up with the cardboard covered jugs.. keep the funnel one in your garage to top off with Walmart DEF, on the road use big diesel truck stops.. but it takes too long to drain into the lower tank so the best way to know its full to the top is in your driveway and you can hear the DEF draining into the lower tank.. when it stops, add more.

The one time I tried to fill it up with a non-oem container involved, I had urine crystals on my boots for a week.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 07-21-2019 at 09:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
stepinrazor (07-22-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

because it fits in the spare tire area and screws onto the AdBlue port, all of it will get in the tank instead of half of it on your car..

IMO everyone should buy 2 OEM AdBlue bottles, one ot keep intact in the car for emergencies.. the other to cut the bottom off of and use as a funnel so you dont get urine all over the place when you fill up with the cardboard covered jugs.. keep the funnel one in your garage to top off with Walmart DEF, on the road use big diesel truck stops.. but it takes too long to drain into the lower tank so the best way to know its full to the top is in your driveway and you can hear the DEF draining into the lower tank.. when it stops, add more.

The one time I tried to fill it up with a non-oem container involved, I had urine crystals on my boots for a week.
Thanks for the response. I’ve had pretty good luck adding non AdBlue I guess.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

it can be done, but once you realize how nice the OEM bottles are you just use them.. they are spring loaded and screwed in.. so the bottle screws right to the port and when its all the way on you push down on it and it starts transfering.. no mess, no fuss, over-engineered? oh yeah but it works.. other TDI's had the filling port inside the boot, so they made it idiot proof so nobody ended up with **** all over inside of the vehicle.

I got my bottles on sale @ audi dealer for like $8 each, worth it.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

I've purchased a 2.5g jug from a NAPA shop and two 1g jugs from Meijer, they all came with hoses that fit in the filler fine with no spilling. But YMMV.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

the 2.5G cardboard boxes I been buying just have a big open dispenser.. gotta use a funnel to pour em into tank.. mebe I should look harder than whats at my local fuel station..

Given those are out there and could be all you get, is why I keep the OEM bottle in the boot... especially when towing since the def calculator will be way the hell off, double so on a fixed one that consumes full tanks in single trips.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 07-21-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

the 2.5G cardboard boxes I been buying just have a big open dispenser.. gotta use a funnel to pour em into tank.. mebe I should look harder than whats at my local fuel station..

Given those are out there and could be all you get, is why I keep the OEM bottle in the boot... especially when towing since the def calculator will be way the hell off, double so on a fixed one that consumes full tanks in single trips.
Yeah, I'd go to a truck stop or a place like my local NAPA. They will both have 2.5g and larger containers of DEF with the hoses (I think they come on 1g, 2.5g and 5g jugs, bigger than that and you'd want a pump with nozzle). NAPA generally sells them in flats of four jugs, but will break the flat open upon request (at least mine does!). They were also priced similar to the 1g jug's normal price at Meijer. However, I bought the 1g jugs when they were on sale, BOGO!