Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Garage Door vs Roof Antenna. Ugh

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Garage Door vs Roof Antenna. Ugh

Well, to make my night better after dealing with MMI problems all day, I went to back into my garage to call it a night, but apparently the garage door didn't open all the way. So, as I backed in I ripped off the plastic cover to the roof antenna. It seems to have cleanly busted off, but it looks as if the seal that is on the roof is pryed up a little. I'm worried this could cause a leak? Should I just glue the plastic cap back on? Ugh. For the meantime I'm just gonna drive around with it like this until I can fix it.

And the garage door, probably looking at a new garage door as well. Ugh.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

seal it... otherwise it will pool in the headliner and run its course through all your electronics.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I was afraid of that, I still have the cover, it's banged up a bit, but looks like if I siliconed it on to the roof and siliconed around the base it'd be fine. My Nav, Satelite radio still work so I know it's just the cover. I really don't care what it looks like, not many people are tall enough to see it anyway. I just want to retain functionality and keep it from leaking.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

that will be your Radio, Telephone, Navigation System Antenna -R52-.

Just like Iconoclast said you will get a major leak from the roof. Procedures is below.

Q7 Radio, Telephone, Navigation ant.pdf
Old 01-19-2016, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Unfortunately upon further inspection, the screws that hold the cover onto the circuit board and roof are snapped, right at the base where it would screw in. Anyone know where to get a new aerial? Or should I just silicone it, I'm worried that I may have to shell out a lot of money coming up soon for my MMI problems, so I would like to fix this as "cheap" as possible. Such a stupid mistake that could have been prevented. So I shouldn't drive around without the cover in the meantime? Given, it's snow and ice out right now, no rain in the forecast. I drive this car everyday and it sits outside in the elements during the day.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Exactly the same thing happened to me six years ago. The insurance wasnt too happy . 500 deductable for the garage door and another 500 for the car.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by bmwrt
Exactly the same thing happened to me six years ago. The insurance wasnt too happy . 500 deductable for the garage door and another 500 for the car.
Did you just break the antenna? That's crazy money! Do you happen to know where I could purchase the Shark fin assembly, I'm willing to do it myself if the part isn't so expensive, or I may just glue it back together, because everything still works, Nav, Sirius, like it did before.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D3Audi
Did you just break the antenna? That's crazy money! Do you happen to know where I could purchase the Shark fin assembly, I'm willing to do it myself if the part isn't so expensive, or I may just glue it back together, because everything still works, Nav, Sirius, like it did before.
Is this it? https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-Q7--V8/ES395430/

Looks like the cover is not normally a separate part.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sethroid
Is this it? https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-Q7--V8/ES395430/

Looks like the cover is not normally a separate part.

Do not paint the Antenna once you installed it. TSB out for that.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Jeez! $423 is a lot for such a stupid antenna, I think I'm going to silicone/superglue it all back together. So it won't leak, only thing I'd worry about would be the antenna flying off in a car wash..

Quick Reply: Garage Door vs Roof Antenna. Ugh